Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HIP won't run for different user account
DVB Owners Discussion Forum - dvbowners.com > Software > HIP
ksipp0
I'm trying to setup another user account w/ bare bones stuff (for my wife) MCE2005 and HIP. I can't get hip to start from the startup menu. I also can't run hip unless i "run as" the user account that i originally installed hip in(which is administrator). This is the error i get:

Exception in module 0008FB2
Error writing to c:\program files\HIP\LASTFILE.TXT

I don't 'link' to any programs that are unaccessable to the new user (at least i think). The only thing I can think might be related is a secondary command for the STOP key that does this: (not sure if related)

EXEC(C:\Program Files\Stop Live TV\STOP Live TV.mcl|||STOP Live TV.mcl|1)
but this runs just fine if i execute from "other programs" in MCE

Thank-you!
btmi
It has to be a permissions problem...you might have to make the Hip directory writable in all profiles - it is clear that the profile for your wife only allows read-only access to the "Program Files" directory which is where Hip has a problem.

One easy workaround may be to reinstall Hip into a different directory(not in "Program Files").
ksipp0
Thanks for the quick response. I actually gave the account admin. privileges and now it works.....UNLESS it's ALSO running in 'my' account. It starts ok, but no response from remote. icon doesn't change to red w/ remote button pushes. End it in the other account...no problems,

any way around this??
Thanks
btmi
Most IR devices will only allow control by one program at a time, and so to have Hip running in 2 accounts simultaneously is something that I am sure would lead to a number of problems that I am afraid I would not know how to solve.
lmo
If you add the account to the "<machine>\Power Users" group, HIP will work when invoked as a non-admin user account.
My setup is WinXP MCE SP3 with latest updates.
Failing this, I would try making c:\<program files>\hip directory writable by the user or the "<machine>\Users" group.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.