Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Melbourne Combined Guide
DVB Owners Discussion Forum - dvbowners.com > Software > Electronic Program Guide (EPG)
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Calvi
If anyone is interested in a combined EPG for Melbourne I am hosting one for the foreseeable future at...

http://mail.lewis.com.au/public/xmltv/xmltv.zip

This guide is updated daily at around 5am and presently draws on four sources.

It includes all available Melbourne channels.
Ozviewer
QUOTE (Calvi @ Nov 3 2007, 04:40 PM) *
If anyone is interested in a combined EPG for Melbourne I am hosting one for the foreseeable future at...

http://mail.lewis.com.au/public/xmltv/xmltv.zip

This guide is updated daily at around 5am and presently draws on three sources. There are no HD channels yet but will add them once things settle down with the Networks.

Yep, I am more than interested. I have changed my WS settings and your guide works fine. Many thanks for your hosting. It is really appreciated. biggrin.gif
raym
QUOTE (Ozviewer @ Nov 4 2007, 09:40 AM) *
Yep, I am more than interested. I have changed my WS settings and your guide works fine. Many thanks for your hosting. It is really appreciated. biggrin.gif

Yeah, this looks great Calvi. Gave it a quick test and was pleased to see no EPG overlap issues! biggrin.gif

Thanks for your efforts.
Calvi
No problem.

Now updated to compile from 4 sources.
Holden
Looking good , thanks for the guide Calvi smile.gif
oipic
Many thanks for this, Calvi - cheers mate. Just flicked over to this from John's final guide, and it's working beautifully. Thanks again for your efforts, they're much appreciated.
raym
QUOTE (Calvi @ Nov 3 2007, 04:40 PM) *
There are no HD channels yet but will add them once things settle down with the Networks.

Hi Calvi. With all this talk of new HD channels coming, just wondering if this was still on your adjenda?

Thanks again for all your efforts.
Calvi
Yep,

Once the networks all settle into a routine and the data is readily available I will add the HD channels. Also want to see what happens with the broadcast guides.
raym
QUOTE (Calvi @ Nov 20 2007, 01:51 PM) *
Yep,

Once the networks all settle into a routine and the data is readily available I will add the HD channels. Also want to see what happens with the broadcast guides.

I look very much forward to this Calvi. If you need someone to test, just yell out.

Thanks for an excellent guide!
Calvi
Just an update, I have the HD channels working, will implement them next week.

Also note I will change the channel names so remapping in WS will be required (sorry about this but the old Channel Nine Melbourne etc are from Ninemsn days and really should be simpler).

So channels will be as follows...

ABC1
ABC2
ABC HD
Seven
Seven HD
Nine
Nine HD
Ten
Ten HD
SBS
SBS HD
texass44
QUOTE (Calvi @ Mar 3 2008, 03:03 PM) *

Also note I will change the channel names so remapping in WS will be required (sorry about this but the old Channel Nine Melbourne etc are from Ninemsn days and really should be simpler).

ABC1
ABC2
ABC HD
Seven
Seven HD
Nine
Nine HD
Ten
Ten HD
SBS
SBS HD

Great work Calvi.....well done with the HD content !!!!
Ozviewer
QUOTE (Calvi @ Mar 3 2008, 03:03 PM) *

ABC1
ABC2
ABC HD
Seven
Seven HD
Nine
Nine HD
Ten
Ten HD
SBS
SBS HD

I did a re-scan of my channels in WS, added the HD channels, but I cannot map the HD channels because they do not appear in the list of EPG data channels. Am I doing something wrong, or have I jumped the gun?
Calvi
Jumped the gun, or rather I did not find time to deliver what I promised.

I will upload it right now. It will be effective as of 9:00am Sunday 16th March 2008.

Also when I get some time I will find a way to get my EPGScan info into this guide.

Just have to get the data from home to work automatically.

PS> I would not recommend using Nine HD or ABC HD as there is not much data for them ATM (outside of ICE or EPGScan) just map them in Webscheduler to the SD channels.
They are included for future use.
Ozviewer
QUOTE (Calvi @ Mar 16 2008, 07:58 AM) *
Jumped the gun, or rather I did not find time to deliver what I promised.

I will upload it right now. It will be effective as of 9:00am Sunday 16th March 2008.

Also when I get some time I will find a way to get my EPGScan info into this guide.

Just have to get the data from home to work automatically.

PS> I would not recommend using Nine HD or ABC HD as there is not much data for them ATM (outside of ICE or EPGScan) just map them in Webscheduler to the SD channels.
They are included for future use.

Calvi,
All working well - thanks so much for all your work. Now, ahhh, ahem.......would it seem too greedy to ask for ABC3?
Calvi
Not at all,

I did not even know there was an ABC3.

I'll see which guides are supporting it and then add it in.

Thanks for the feedback.
raym
Looking real nice Calvi. Thanks again!

The only thing is I'm seeing this in some descriptions still: " The xmlguide.pl service will be discontinued on March 31, 2008. Please ask the author of your XML data grabber to update it to use the new API. Details can be found at http://minnie.tuhs.org/xmltv/api.html "

I take it you're aware of it.

Cheers.
Calvi
Yes,

It will/is using the epgstream grabber (xmltvdownload) and I am waiting on them to release their final version with no time limit etc.

PS. Is ABC3 actually running? The only references I can find are subject to Govt funding etc. There is no guide data anywhere, not even on ABC site, icetv etc.
raym
QUOTE (Calvi @ Mar 18 2008, 05:01 PM) *
Yes,

It will/is using the epgstream grabber (xmltvdownload) and I am waiting on them to release their final version with no time limit etc.

PS. Is ABC3 actually running? The only references I can find are subject to Govt funding etc. There is no guide data anywhere, not even on ABC site, icetv etc.

Thanks.

ABC3 is certainly detected by WS during a scan. 9HD has started broadcasting independant content too. I noticed this for the first time last night but it might have started earlier.
Yaboat
Thanks for all the work and time on this EPG, Calvi.

I have just noticed though, that there are no entries for Ch 7, 9 or 10 from today(23/3) until Wed (26/3), they appear to be missing from the xmltv file.
Calvi
Thanks Yaboat,

EPGStream downloader expiry is annoying. I will get my epgscan data combined into the public guide soon enough then there will be plenty of data.
Calvi
OK EPGScan data is done should be seeing this in the data from tomorrow.

This takes guide sources to six individual sources. Should be pretty robust now.
Ozviewer
QUOTE (Calvi @ Mar 25 2008, 11:51 AM) *
OK EPGScan data is done should be seeing this in the data from tomorrow.

This takes guide sources to six individual sources. Should be pretty robust now.

Woo hoo! Many thanks again for all your work Calvi. biggrin.gif
Ozviewer
Since Good Friday I have only received the SD channels in the EPG guide and since Sunday all the programs are an hour out. I'm guessing the 2nd problem is daylight saving related, but I don't understand the 1st problem. I wondered if it might be related to the end of March shutdown, but apparently not. All suggestions gratefully received.
Calvi
Thanks for the heads up Ozviewer.

The guide as telling me it was all working but had a bug in the script that actually posts it so it wasn't getting updated.

As for DST this is correct (still +11) so I would suggest your pc has changed early. There is a MS patch for this - check the epg out 1 hour thread.

Guide Fixed as of Now. 9:00 am 2/4/08
Holden
Ozviewer have a look at this thread
http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?showtopic=9098

I had the same problem and once I got my Java sorted out everything was back to normal
Ozviewer
QUOTE (Calvi @ Apr 2 2008, 08:39 AM) *
Thanks for the heads up Ozviewer.

The guide as telling me it was all working but had a bug in the script that actually posts it so it wasn't getting updated.

As for DST this is correct (still +11) so I would suggest your pc has changed early. There is a MS patch for this - check the epg out 1 hour thread.

Guide Fixed as of Now. 9:00 am 2/4/08

Calvi,
My system time is correct as is my time zone. However WS has gone off DS according to system info. Not to worry, I can wait until next Sunday. However I still have the first problem - no HD or ABC2 channels appearing in the EPG.

QUOTE (Holden @ Apr 2 2008, 06:02 PM) *
Ozviewer have a look at this thread
http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?showtopic=9098

I had the same problem and once I got my Java sorted out everything was back to normal

Thanks for the tip, but my WS is pointing to the current version of JRE.
Calvi
The HD channels are there.
Check your channel mappings to make sure they are assigned.
If you look inside the xml file you will see abc2, ninehd, sevenhd, tenhd etc there.

Are you running the latest Java, ie 1.6.5? I have no issues with timezone at home with...

Windows XP SP2 and WindowsXP-KB942763-x86-ENU.exe patch applied (DST 2008 fixes)
Webscheduler Pro 5.2
Java 1.6.5

Edit: My bad tvguide.org was timing out. Try again. Sorry about that. The oztivo changes are causing some pain.
Ozviewer
QUOTE (Calvi @ Apr 4 2008, 08:20 AM) *
The HD channels are there.
Check your channel mappings to make sure they are assigned.
If you look inside the xml file you will see abc2, ninehd, sevenhd, tenhd etc there.

Are you running the latest Java, ie 1.6.5? I have no issues with timezone at home with...

Windows XP SP2 and WindowsXP-KB942763-x86-ENU.exe patch applied (DST 2008 fixes)
Webscheduler Pro 5.2
Java 1.6.5

Edit: My bad tvguide.org was timing out. Try again. Sorry about that. The oztivo changes are causing some pain.

Calvi,
I re-installed WS and epg now fixed - except for 1 hr time difference which I expect will self-correct tomorrow. Thanks. biggrin.gif
belco
i get the EPG overlapping box come up each time i click something in the EPG

is there a way to fix this?

thanks nice guide smile.gif
Calvi
There is an option in WS to turn this off.
belco
next question... i havent opened ws for a few days and now when i go to refresh ws i have missing data in the future days... dont have any data for sunday and money apart from abc and sbs

ive reloaded data many many times with no luck.. how can i get the epg data to show for tomorrow?
Calvi
Try again,

I've had server problems from hell. (guide updated 4:10am)
belco
Monday (28/Apr)
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun (Today)

its all blank for today apart from abc n sbs again.. how to i make ws show me the next few days... each day it seems to be adding a day to the top of the page.. it used to show a few days in advance
belco
uninstalled ws and reinstalled it.. seems like normal now smile.gif
tempus
Hi Calvi,

I've been silently and happily using your guide for a few months now and have to say it rocks!

Much more detailed than anything else I've found.

Seems to have stopped updating at the moment though. Could you please look into it when you've got a minute?

Thanks

Temp.
Calvi
Thanks,

I have it showing data through the week and having been updated each day.

The only issue is D1.com.au has disappeared but all other sources are ok.

Whats the specific issue you are having?
tempus
This is what I get when I reload (output below is from about 5 minutes ago). There's only data up to tomorrow, and today and tomorrow only have data for the ABC channels and SBS.

I've noticed this happens fairly regularly normally it updates daily, but every couple or weeks there's no updates for a few days and then it suddenly recovers.

If it's not at your end, then there must be some intermediate caching happening.

--------------------8<---------------------------8<---------------------------------------------

Loading Data Please Wait...

About to load XMLTV Data from http://mail.lewis.com.au/public/xmltv/xmltv.zip

Earliest Entry : Wed Jul 16 00:05:00 EST 2008
Latest Entry : Wed Jul 23 23:30:00 EST 2008

Number of Categories Found : 43

Current EPG Data Set
ABC HD : 5
ABC1 : 381
ABC2 : 327
Nine : 169
Nine HD : 107
SBS : 207
Seven : 157
Seven HD : 158
Ten : 201
Ten HD : 177

Saving loaded EPG data

Running post load action
Post load actions finished
Calvi
I am showing data to the 29th, earliest is the 22nd.

The fact that you are seeing 16th means there must be caching at your end. The generator removes all old data every morning.

Try downloading the file manually. It should be date stamped 22nd 4:05 am.
tempus
The file is fine when I downloaded it at work (dated 22/07/08 04:05), but if I get it by any means (Firefox, IE, WebScheduler) at home I get a version dated 16/07/08.

Looks like it's my ISP's "transparent" proxy at work.

Thanks for the speedy help. Not sure of the solution yet, but least it's helped me to isolate the problem.

Temp.
Calvi
No problem, not sure what you can do either.

The only things I can think of you shouldn't have to do, rolling proxies etc just to avoid a cache.
tempus
Hi Calvi.

My ISP has kindly agreed to exclude the file from caching, they also suggested the following...

> I would also suggest you contact the server administrator to advise them
> that they need to adjust the cache-expiry time for that file, or if its
> updated daily they should probably be exporting the no-cache directive in
> the HTTP header to prevent such problems for any other users.

...which I thought was worth passing on.

Thanks again for providing the service.
raym
Hi Calvi.

Every so often I notice that the program times don't line up correctly with the actual "now" time. For instance, yesterday, ABC2 programs were being displayed a good couple of hours behind the actual time. Other channels were ok.

Dunno if there's much you can do about this but thought I'd mention it.

Cheers.
spanky123
My EPG in Melbourne is 1 hour ahead (ie. a 6pm show appears to be at 5pm according to EPG) . . . is that just me?
Calvi
Yeh,

I've found a couple of bugs. DST brings them round every time.

I have pretty much fixed it, but have some further improvements in the works.

Anyway for now the guide should be sorted.
Wardhog
Thanks Calvi, this is great.
raym
Hi Calvi. Is this guide getting generated by you using your SafeXMLTV prog? Obviously the simplicity of the Melbourne Combined Guide is great but is your SafeXMLTV the most comprehensive option?

Cheers.
Calvi
QUOTE (raym @ Jan 26 2009, 12:34 PM) *
Hi Calvi. Is this guide getting generated by you using your SafeXMLTV prog?

Yes

Obviously the simplicity of the Melbourne Combined Guide is great but is your SafeXMLTV the most comprehensive option?

Not sure what this means. There are always more comprehensive options.

If this helps I use SafeXMLTV for myself to combine...

IceTV
EPGScan using Tuner Cards. (Nulls EPG scan)
tvguide.org (uryans guidedog script)
abcjc grabber (parses abc website - me)
sbsgrabber (parses sbs website - nate)
and a donated grabber that parses another guide site that I cannot name by request of the author.

The Melbourne guide I publish does not contain any IceTV info as this would of course contravene my license agreement with them, otherwise I would say the guide is quite comprehensive.
raym
Sorry Calvi. All I was trying to understand was if the Melb Combined Guide is as detailed as the one generated by SafeXMLTV. I understand now.

Thanks.
Calvi
No apology required. I understand your question now, read it the wrong way first time.

Simple answer, SafeXMLTV is more comprehensive than the melbourne guide I provide only if you can provide more of your own data sources (eg IceTV) than I listed above.

SafeXMLTV also makes you more self sufficient, ie you would not be relying on my server. You could use my guide as one of the sources.
raym
Thanks Calvi.

Just one more question. I mostly use WS's keyboard interface on my HTPC and every now and then, I notice that the program times don't align properly in the epg grid against the timeslots up the top. I can send you a screen shot if required. Most of the time it's ok but was wondering if there's anything that can be done to correct the issue when it does occur.

Cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.