OzMick
post Sep 26 2007, 09:14 AM
Post #61

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 8,648
Card: DNTV tinyUSB

QUOTE (dns @ Sep 24 2007, 08:03 PM) *
I was thinking of writing my own version from scratch using a simular design to web scheduler but to rewrite s.

I am thinking of using mono and I plan to use a lot of xml and xslt to process schedules.
It is still in the research/design stage and i still need to learn mono (got the book next to me).
I wonder if it would be possible to write the capture engine using gstreamer as it would allow more freedom in the output formats etc.

If you have any ideas please pm me with your email address and we can chat.

You know, I've been having the same thoughts myself, haven't given a large amount of thought to actually implementing it though. That, and I'm relatively new to Linux, so not a great deal of knowledge of the inner workings, and I work full time, so this would definitely be a long-term hobby job. Love the idea though.

Mono would be nice for potentially getting some Windows devs on board... Perhaps if what has been discussed in the thread can be done, whereby the actual capture engine is not hard linked in it would allow for more flexibility too, ie Linux users can link to a native engine or script, be it zapdvb, tzap, gstreamer etc, and Windows users can do whatever the hell is needed to get Windows to work. I don't know how it would go in terms of running it in the background however... I'm not really big on the idea of Java either as the back end, but I've no useful suggestions as to an alternative. I do like the way the CUPS daemon works though (in terms of backend/webserver, we're obviously after something that is run as a session on a per-user basis though), might be able to investigate how it is coded and implemented. I could just be talking n00b gibberish though, but that is where my train of thought is headed atm.

I'll PM you my email.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
black_dog
post Dec 24 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #62

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,277
Card: DVICO FusionHDTV

I've just started using this tool to replace webscheduler on windows...

I've paid for webscheduler on windows, and I'de love it if I got the new v5 features on linux :-)

Anyway, is the source for the linux versions available? I'm really missing the 'merged into separate files'
feature, and want to re-implement it on linux.

For now, I'm using 'non-merged' but Its so inefficient on tuners that I find myself missing the start of
some programs.

Also, the zapdvb capture seems to write incorrect time codes (similar to how webscheduler with TS
format used to do) and the solution is to pipe the output through zapcvt -r.. I'm looking to code
that directly into the source...

Blacky

+Quote Post
vertigo
post Mar 25 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #63

Participant

Member No.: 4,692
Card: None

Hi guys, been a while. Decided to try again at getting WS running on linux, since the later kernels work properly with my dvb card (ie signal strength/tuning channel 9's frequency is no longer an issue). I tried the regular zapdvb method again, and it works well, but only for SD channels. When I try HD, it tunes, and captures a few frames, but chokes every time. I thought it might be AC3 audio causing the issues; so set the audio id to 0 for ABC HD in channels.conf. It didn't choke this time, but the captured file did have video glitches (and ofcourse, no audio). So I'm not sure zapdvb is an option, unfortunately, since I usually watch/capture HD now. sad.gif

So onto mplayer, I tried the script ferni posted earlier, again:

CODE
#!/usr/bin/perl

$filename = substr($ARGV[2], 2);

`/usr/local/bin/mplayer dvb://$ARGV[1] -dumpstream -dumpfile "$filename"`;

which is essentially supposed to change this command, sent by webscheduler,

CODE
/usr/local/bin/zapdvb -a0 -n1 -o/path/to/capture.mpg

to:

CODE
/usr/local/bin/mplayer dvb://-n1 -dumpstream -dumpfile /path/to/capture

and the capturing starts fine. But WS does not "see" the capture as starting successfully, according to the status page, as well as terminal output:

CODE
About to start capture
/home/vertigo/Desktop/zapdvb -a0 -n1 -o/home/vertigo/(2008-03-25 20-33) test 7.mpg
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
Error waiting for capture to start
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 37
    at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1935)
    at CaptureProcess.startCapture(CaptureProcess.java:140)
    at CaptureTask.startCapture(CaptureTask.java:123)
    at TimerThread.run(TimerThread.java:415)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
No free capture device, will try again in 60 sec
Error starting capture : (-3) Will retry in 60 seconds.
See the DirectShow.log file for more details.

and so, it keeps on retrying every 60 seconds, each time giving the same error (as well as mplayer's error, stating that the dvb device is in use). There is also the problem of WS not killing mplayer after the capture is done. So basically, what's needed is for WS to "know" that the capture is being run successfully by mplayer, and to kill mplayer properly when the time comes. Hope someone can help smile.gif. The full terminal output:

CODE
About to set wakeup time 25/3/2018 20:32:49 -45 : SetWaitableTimer Succeeded (0)
About to set wakeup time 25/3/2018 20:32:53 -45 : SetWaitableTimer Succeeded (0)
Number of cards available (1) number in use (0)
About to start capture
/home/vertigo/Desktop/zapdvb -a0 -n1 -o/home/vertigo/(2008-03-25 20-33) test 7.mpg
About to set wakeup time 25/3/2018 20:32:54 -45 : SetWaitableTimer Succeeded (0)
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 6 failed with errno 0 when reading 168 bytes
Error in ProcessInputReader!
java.io.IOException: Bad file descriptor
    at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.read(FileInputStream.java:199)
    at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.readBytes(StreamDecoder.java:264)
    at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.implRead(StreamDecoder.java:306)
    at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(StreamDecoder.java:158)
    at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:167)
    at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(BufferedReader.java:136)
    at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:299)
    at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:362)
    at ProcessInputReader.run(ProcessInputReader.java:58)
ProcessInputReader Thread Exiting
About to set wakeup time 25/3/2018 20:33:54 -45 : SetWaitableTimer Succeeded (0)
Number of cards available (1) number in use (0)
Finalize called on ProcessInputReader object
About to start capture
Finalize called on CaptureProcess object
Finalize KILLING expernal app
/home/vertigo/Desktop/zapdvb -a0 -n1 -o/home/vertigo/(2008-03-25 20-33) test 7-1.mpg
About to set wakeup time 25/3/2018 20:33:55 -45 : SetWaitableTimer Succeeded (0)
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 6 failed with errno 0 when reading 892 bytes
Error in ProcessInputReader!
java.io.IOException: Bad file descriptor
    at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.read(FileInputStream.java:199)
    at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.readBytes(StreamDecoder.java:264)
    at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.implRead(StreamDecoder.java:306)
    at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(StreamDecoder.java:158)
    at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:167)
    at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(BufferedReader.java:136)
    at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:299)
    at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:362)
    at ProcessInputReader.run(ProcessInputReader.java:58)
ProcessInputReader Thread Exiting
About to set wakeup time 25/3/2018 20:34:15 -45 : SetWaitableTimer Succeeded (0)

+Quote Post
vertigo
post Mar 27 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #64

Participant

Member No.: 4,692
Card: None

nobody? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
logrythm
post Jun 7 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #65

Participant

Member No.: 7,133
Card: DVICO Ultraview HDTV DVB-t plus

QUOTE (vertigo @ Mar 27 2008, 07:09 PM) *
nobody? unsure.gif

Hi all,

Is this still viable?

I'd like to try it on Ubuntu to replace WS on XP.

I am a linux newbie though, is it worth pursuing?

Cheers

+Quote Post
kashmir_singh
post Feb 15 2009, 01:46 PM
Post #66

Participant

Group: Members
Member No.: 235
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

QUOTE (slothbag @ Mar 13 2007, 07:23 AM) *
For anyone thats interested i've made some changes to WebScheduler so that it runs under linux, it uses ZapDVB for all the recording functionality.

You can find the download here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvb-ws-linux/

Thanks to Null_pointer for an awesome piece of software, i've been using it for years. Nothing else comes close smile.gif

Thanks Slothbag for your port. Just migrating over to PCLinux from XP and got WS working this weekend. Just one query if the computer is in suspend mode will WS wake it up to commence recording.

Just noticed as well that all progs marked for recording disappear when I restart the box. Re-running auto-scan puts them back in. Which seems weird that it's able to keep track of my auto-add list but not progs I've marked for recording.

21/02/09 - fixed losing schedule details - just needed to chmod 777 the files in teh data folder.

This post has been edited by kashmir_singh: Feb 21 2009, 03:59 PM

+Quote Post
OzMick
post Mar 3 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #67

Be nice to me, I am new.

Well, seeing as the source code has been released under GPL, I might take some time to sift over the current code and see what we can do to get Linux support into the mainline code. I'm sure it isn't going to be anywhere as easy as I initially guessed, there are a whole bunch of hard coded calls to helper libraries which in turn rely heavily on Windows API calls... But Linux libraries for all the equivalent functionality have to exist...

Edit: Well, a minimal amount of editing can at least get the webserver to boot. Notable changes include adding some code in a couple of sections to determine the OS and hardcoding in a root directory in Scheduler.java:

CODE
      String dataPath;
      if (System.getProperty("os.name").equals("Linux"))
      {
         dataPath =  "./";
      }
      else
      {
         DllWrapper wrapper = new DllWrapper();
         dataPath =  wrapper.getAllUserPath();
      }

Similar code block in CaptureCapabilities.java to bypass making a call to "StreamConsumer.exe -capabilities"

CODE
      if (System.getProperty("os.name").equals("Linux"))
      {
         String capabilities = "";
     capabilities += "<capabilities>\n";
     capabilities += "   <capability>\n";
     capabilities += "      <name>TS-Mux</name>\n";
     capabilities += "      <id>2</id>\n";
     capabilities += "      <ext>ts</ext>\n";
     capabilities += "   </capability>\n";
     capabilities += "</capabilities>\n";
         parseCapabilities(capabilities);
      }
      else
      {...

And a couple of settings in server.prop need to be changed, such as path.xsl=data//xsl instead of data\\xsl.

Might just continue with hard coding in dodgy hacks for now and see if I can't at least match the capabilities of the existing Linux version before making things more generic.

+Quote Post
OzMick
post Mar 7 2009, 12:21 PM
Post #68

Be nice to me, I am new.

Slowly but surely making the necessary changes required to get some built in Linux support guys... Will be looking to have as much as possible to be handled internally by the server (including scanning of channels using the standard scan utility) and allow the actual recording program and parameters controlled through server.prop.

The webserver itself was up and running amazingly easily, and I'm making ground getting all of the pages to display correctly, I'd give it at least a week before I have any recording capability up and running.

+Quote Post
Rickaus
post Apr 17 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #69

Be nice to me, I am new.

Member No.: 6,771
Card: Compro VideoMate DVB-T300

Much thanks to slothbag - I have managed to successfully set up linux-webscheduler on fedora 10, pentium 800, and using two usb digital tv receivers [ebay $20] - had to install the latest Zapdvb rpm with the --nodep option but still installed,worked no problems. Was quite suprised how easy it all hung together as I'm still a novice when it comes to linux!
Once Zapdvb was up and running - following Zaps install instructions - Webscheduler worked easily - set up the auto epg program and now have an excellent "set top Box" that records all my favourite shows with the epg automatically updating each day from the web.....just reading through everyones messages made it a breeze - thanks to all... smile.gif

Next up will be to update webscheduler using the latest open source to linux ...... had any futher success with this OzMick?
Wondering if a Linux "DV Scheduler" could work too as I quite like it's interface....

+Quote Post
OzMick
post Apr 17 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #70

Be nice to me, I am new.

QUOTE (Rickaus @ Apr 17 2009, 03:11 PM) *
Much thanks to slothbag - I have managed to successfully set up linux-webscheduler on fedora 10, pentium 800, and using two usb digital tv receivers [ebay $20] - had to install the latest Zapdvb rpm with the --nodep option but still installed,worked no problems. Was quite suprised how easy it all hung together as I'm still a novice when it comes to linux!
Once Zapdvb was up and running - following Zaps install instructions - Webscheduler worked easily - set up the auto epg program and now have an excellent "set top Box" that records all my favourite shows with the epg automatically updating each day from the web.....just reading through everyones messages made it a breeze - thanks to all... smile.gif

Next up will be to update webscheduler using the latest open source to linux ...... had any futher success with this OzMick?
Wondering if a Linux "DV Scheduler" could work too as I quite like it's interface....

Actually got pretty well into it, but haven't had a chance to do anything the past month or so. Key points are:
- Got adapter detection and channel scanning pretty well sorted out and generating channels.conf (though I don't think I had it saving the channels.conf to ~/.mplayer/channels.conf, mplayer is supposed to be capable of using a specified channels.conf but couldn't have any luck
- Scheduling works fine, and recordings do start recording via mplayer
x Recordings fail to be terminated correctly

I've actually been playing around a bit with MythTV and seeing if I can learn to like it. The only real benefit I see is that it can pull EPG data from the EIT stream, so no need to rely on an external EPG source. Going to format next week and put Ubuntu 9.04 on, so might get some more motivation to continue work then. Got all sorts of ideas on how to set up the house with a HTPC, but don't have the money to do anything other than keep using a couple of old xboxes as media players, and the WebScheduler method has worked nicely for years, so will almost certainly come back in the coming weeks.

You're quite welcome to play around with the source yourself if you're that way inclined. I've made a really rough Makefile, same story as the existing Linux version, just run java -jar.

+Quote Post
flamaest
post Feb 1 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #71

Be nice to me, I am new.

Member No.: 14,815
Card: DVICO FusionHDTV DVB-T USB

Hello all...

I have been trying to get WebScheduler to work and I found this thread.

Has anyone gotten WebScheduler to work with mplayer?

zapdvb seems OK, but I am having a hard time generating my channel list for ATSC terrestrial USA channels. Can some provide specific instructions for how to do this?

Also, I am also considering updating this software to use the TVENCODE! command line which allows for control of mplayer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4P8YfhlJik

more on TV_ENCODE!
http://download.spinellicreations.com/tv_encode/

Thanks.
Fabian.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 11:42 PM