rikster
post Oct 29 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #1

Participant

Group: New Members
Member No.: 12,523
Card: DNTV Quad

Hi folks,

My windows 7 desktop is on its last legs & I'm planning a new PC to replace it. I'd like to go with windows 10 64 bit. However I'm unsure as to whether my DNTV Quad tuner card (which I love), will work on there with DNTV Scheduler pro.

Does anyone have this card working with Scheduler pro on Win 10 64 bit?

Cheers

Richard
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
frednerk33
post Oct 29 2016, 11:37 PM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Member No.: 4,667
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

Sorry I don't have one, so I don't know.

In case you had to go for something else, the 7164's work fine under win10 (the older USB tinytwins don't).

+Quote Post
therat
post Oct 31 2016, 12:02 PM
Post #3

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,165

The biggest problem you have with the new computers is that they nearly all come with USB 3.0 and the TinyTwin work best on USB 2.0. Fortunately the Quad tuner is PCIe so it has a better chance of working under windows 10 x64.

It could be a little time consuming but it should be able to be made to work even if you have to install the drivers and programs in matching compatibility mode (windows 7 or 8).

+Quote Post
frednerk33
post Oct 31 2016, 04:52 PM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Member No.: 4,667
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

QUOTE (therat @ Oct 31 2016, 12:32 PM) *
... install the drivers and programs in matching compatibility mode (windows 7 or 8).

Oh, can that be done ? I must google it.

+Quote Post
therat
post Oct 31 2016, 10:03 PM
Post #5

Forum Regular

QUOTE (frednerk33 @ Oct 31 2016, 04:52 PM) *
Oh, can that be done ? I must google it.

Just right click the drivers setup.exe and click Properties then select the Compatibility tab and select the desired windows version then tick. Click Apply. Then right click the drivers setup.exe again and this time select Run as the Administrator. Do the same for the software (DNTV LIVE which includes DNTV Scheduler Pro).

Best not to have to resort to compatibility mode but sometimes you have to just to get it working.

+Quote Post
rikster
post Nov 1 2016, 04:37 AM
Post #6

Participant

Thanks for your input guys. Sounds like it could be promising. I have so much automation around Scheduler pro, I just hope I can get it all working again one day. Currently it's perfect - records, removes ads, uploads to my NAS, then kicks off the NAS's Twonky server rescan.
Once I get all the hardware, I'm expecting about a two - three week 'fun period' sad.gif

+Quote Post
DrP
post Nov 1 2016, 09:52 AM
Post #7

Forum Regular

Member No.: 57
Card: DNTV tinyUSB

I don't know about this tuner specifically but with the was USB device IDs work Windows 10 will often try to install what it thinks is the right driver during a Windows update often causing things to fail. There are various ways to prevent Windows 10 from doing this but a nice easy way is to use regedit and manually turn the feature off.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching. Create a value SearchOrderConfig (dword) and set it or update if already existing to 0.

Then you can install the DNTV driver and Windows won't try to change it later

--------------------
Looking for an alternative to TV Scheduler Pro? Take a look at dvscheduler for Windows or tvheadend for linux.

+Quote Post
therat
post Nov 1 2016, 03:37 PM
Post #8

Forum Regular

very good advice DrP especially if using DNTV tuners and drivers.

+Quote Post
rikster
post Nov 13 2016, 05:33 AM
Post #9

Participant

So, no-one has a quad on windows 10 :-(

+Quote Post
therat
post Nov 13 2016, 10:56 AM
Post #10

Forum Regular

QUOTE (rikster @ Nov 13 2016, 05:33 AM) *
So, no-one has a quad on windows 10 :-(

Not that I know of but that's not to say there isn't some. People usually only post here when they have problems not when things bare working right unfortunately.

All I can suggest is to try and see. There are numerous combinations you can try.

Personally I'm hoping I never have to go to windows 10.

+Quote Post
DrP
post Nov 13 2016, 05:46 PM
Post #11

Forum Regular

Member No.: 57
Card: DNTV tinyUSB

I did have a quad (one of the pre-release eval cards) working fine under Windows 10 (original release) some time ago until I accidentally killed the card.

All things considered, apart from Windows 10's recent habit of replacing drivers as per previous post which may not even be a problem with the quad if Renura has submitted the driver and dev ids to Microsoft, I can't see why there would be any problems. Even my very old (2007 or earlier) tiny USB (twinhan beetles) still work using drivers that came out before Windows 7 existed provided they are connected to USB2 controllers. Since the quad has the USB2 interface built in even this won't be an issue.

I think the only show-stopper with Windows 10 and old drivers, is unsigned drivers (the quad's are signed) can no longer be loaded in clean installs of Windows 10 aniversay edition, if the PC is configured for UEFI secure boot.

This post has been edited by DrP: Nov 13 2016, 05:48 PM

--------------------
Looking for an alternative to TV Scheduler Pro? Take a look at dvscheduler for Windows or tvheadend for linux.

+Quote Post
rikster
post Dec 21 2016, 09:20 PM
Post #12

Participant

Hi All,

My Windows 10 experience is not going well. Managed to get the Quad card installed with 64 bit drivers loaded & prevented from being updated by windows 10 automatically.
However, wherever I kick a channel scan off from (DNTV live, DNTV Scheduler pro, or just using ScanChannelsBDA.exe), I get the same results. Some channels are located, then it just freezes the application up & even prevents a PC reboot. I have to hard shutdown the PC.
Have tried all PCI slots. Have tried the 2010, 2011 & 2012 driver.
It's an Asus motherboard & it just does not seem to like the Quad. This card worked fine on its old Gigabyte motherboard.

+Quote Post
therat
post Dec 22 2016, 07:59 PM
Post #13

Forum Regular

This might be a wild shot but have you tried the DNTV Quad Remote Bridge program (http://www.digitalnow.com.au/DNTV/DNTVRemoteBridge.zip) It is specifically for problem motherboards. Best thing is installing it can't hurt. If it doesn't help just uninstall it.

+Quote Post
rikster
post Dec 24 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #14

Participant

QUOTE (therat @ Dec 22 2016, 08:59 PM) *
This might be a wild shot but have you tried the DNTV Quad Remote Bridge program (http://www.digitalnow.com.au/DNTV/DNTVRemoteBridge.zip) It is specifically for problem motherboards. Best thing is installing it can't hurt. If it doesn't help just uninstall it.

Hi TheRat,
Yes, I have tried the remote bridge, but it's still no good. I also setup Windows 7 as a dual boot - which took days to get working - not easy to install windows 7 on these new boards.
However, Windows 7 has the same freeze issue :-(

+Quote Post
renura
post Dec 24 2016, 08:08 PM
Post #15

Enthusiast

Member No.: 38
Card: None

QUOTE (rikster @ Dec 24 2016, 08:10 PM) *
Hi TheRat,
Yes, I have tried the remote bridge, but it's still no good. I also setup Windows 7 as a dual boot - which took days to get working - not easy to install windows 7 on these new boards.
However, Windows 7 has the same freeze issue :-(

Firstkly let me tell you that we many customers use Windows 10 x64 and the Quad works fine in such systems - so it is not a Windows 10 issue.

It is most likley a motherboard/BIOS issue.

If your motherboard uses onboard graphic, check in the BIOS settings if there is an option to use external graphic card. if so disable the option to use such an external graphic card. A customer previously found that once a PCIe card was installed in the system, for some reason the system thought that there was an external graphic card and the system would freeze/crash when attempting to use the quad.

--------------------
Renura Enterprises Pty Ltd - Owner of DigitalNow and MediaNow- Importers, Distributors and Retailers of Digital TV and other Digital Multimedia Solutions

+Quote Post
rikster
post Dec 26 2016, 05:08 AM
Post #16

Participant

QUOTE (renura @ Dec 24 2016, 09:08 PM) *
It is most likley a motherboard/BIOS issue.

Hi Renura,
Thanks for looking at this issue for me. The motherboard does have onboard graphics & I've had a look in the BIOS & there is indeed a setting to disable enable onboard/external. Unfortunately the external is disabled & the onboard is enabled, so it's not that setting.

What appears to happen is this:
I can look in device manager at the Quad's USB hub details very happily. I can switch through the property tabs with no problem. System can be up all day & do this. However, if I get the Quad to scan for channels, eventually (after a random number - or no channels found), the scan will freeze. After the scan freeze, then I can no longer look at the Quad's USB hub's details in device manager.
All other areas on the PC work fine after this. The only thing it cannot do after this, is a clean shutdown, the shutdown just freezes.
Also, I can also kick off scans on the Quad's other tuners, but they also freeze eventually too.
Not sure if this info helps diagnose what is going on here.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Rikster

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2019 - 07:20 PM