> ABC & NINE reception issues
micmij
post Sep 13 2016, 08:42 PM
Post #1

Participant

Group: New Members
Member No.: 7,682
Card: DNTV Live Dual Hybrid PCIe S2

I'm not really sure where else to post this, so thought this might be as good a place as any (although, it's been rather quiet here lately - is there somewhere else that everybody turns to now?)

I've got a trusty, old Dual Hybrid PCIe S2 that's given me years of great service and for all intents and purposes it could still be working just as well as ever. However, about 6 months ago my ABC picture started breaking up - initially it was intermittent (i.e. some days it was fine), but now the issue is constant. Over the last couple of months the same thing has started happening with NINE.

DNTV Live gives me the following signal details for those 2 channels:
ABC: Strength 80%, Quality 20% - it's pretty much unwatchable
NINE: Strength 76%, Quality varies constantly between 70-100% - it has occasional blocking, and is OK to watch (but not really worth it for archiving purposes)
The other channels have a signal quality of 100% and look perfect.

The picture for all channels (including ABC and NINE) is perfect via my TV's tuner - incidentally, I moved my PC to the same point as the TV and still had the same issues. I live near Chatswood in Sydney and have a clear line of sight to the transmitters at Artarmon and Willoughby.

So, I'm looking for advice as to what I would need to do to fix the reception issues on my tuner card. Do I need a new tuner card? Is it an issue with my aerial? Am I not getting a strong enough signal for the tuner card?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
frednerk33
post Sep 14 2016, 12:46 AM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Member No.: 4,667
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

Sorry, am not sure ... I don't know.
I have a couple of 7164's from digitalnow and I found them to be really good when fed a good signal - now I use only RG6 quad shielded cables with F connectors in the cable path and very high bandwidth splitters (not just any old splitter eg 10-900MHz, choose ones with the highest range on it that you can find as it's worth it eg 5-2400MHz) all connected to a separate digital aerial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6iShJrc56E
http://www.jaycar.com.au/10m-high-quality-...ectors/p/WV7396
http://www.4cabling.com.au/3-way-splitter-...CFQqAvQod_UEC3w
I used to have break-up issues on all channels but most especially especially with SBS and in bad weather and couldn't get channel 44 at all - since moving to the above, from lesser spec cabling and splitters and PAL connectors, no problems whatsoever and all is rock solid for me.

+Quote Post
micmij
post Sep 14 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #3

Participant

Thanks for the response, Fred - so you re-did all your cabling from the antenna down to the wall plates, and on to your tuner? I've only got 3 points in my house, so it might be a good idea to hunt down the splitter and go from there.

Thinking about it a bit more, I'm just a bit confused about how some channels work perfectly and the others are deteriorating - surely, if it was an issue with my setup, wouldn't all the channels have a problem? Would this situation indicate that it's a reception issue rather than cabling?

+Quote Post
frednerk33
post Sep 14 2016, 09:20 PM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Member No.: 4,667
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

QUOTE (micmij @ Sep 14 2016, 07:55 PM) *
so you re-did all your cabling from the antenna down to the wall plates, and on to your tuner?
Yes, sort of. I got sick of the breaking up in shows that I valued. I went back to the aerial itself (up past the splitter) with the cabling since it made sense to me to funnel the signal all through a fat pipe rather than a skinny pipe then fatter ones ... It was a bit of a pest but rather fun to do after an attempt or two at fitting my own F connectors. For the tuners, I split in the roof near the aerial and took a separate path omitting any wall plates so as to minimise the number of intervening connections - it worked out for me, but may not be ideal for you depending on location and what you're prepared to put up with.

QUOTE (micmij @ Sep 14 2016, 07:55 PM) *
Thinking about it a bit more, I'm just a bit confused about how some channels work perfectly and the others are deteriorating - surely, if it was an issue with my setup, wouldn't all the channels have a problem? Would this situation indicate that it's a reception issue rather than cabling?
Very possibly. Not for me, though, some channels would look fine and only break up occasionally or rarely. I did also check for new trees and sheds in the line of sight to the tower smile.gif Now it is 100% rock solid.

PS not sure where other people post - this place seems to have people visit from time to time.

http://www.dtvforum.info/

There may be other places I don't know of but would like to visit smile.gif

+Quote Post
micmij
post Sep 16 2016, 07:53 PM
Post #5

Participant

Thanks Fred. I'll report back when I have something...

+Quote Post
therat
post Sep 17 2016, 12:32 PM
Post #6

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,165
Card: DNTV Quad

A couple of basic hardware tips.

Ensure that every 6 months you remove the TV Tuner card and using a clean rubber eraser (yep the same as we used bat school years ago to rub out pencil mistakes in our exercise books) and rub the golden teeth on both sides where the card plugs into the motherboard. Be sure you do NOT touch those teeth with your fingers. Use a lint free clean cloth or compressed air to remove the rubber. Reinsert the TV tuner so it is a tight fit and secure.

Check all aerial cables are tight fitting.

If still experiencing signal quality problems then you might want to look at investing in a powered antenna splitter like a kingray.

cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 07:21 PM