> Why does my digital TV freeze?
christenajenifer
post Apr 16 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #1

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 13,341
Card: None

Analogue reception on my TV is good. I tested the signal strength and found it to be maximum strength on BBC 1 & 2, ITV and Channel 4. But when I switch to digital TV, the signal freezes then jumps. I have been told that this is a result of my roof mounted aerial swaying in the wind. Is this correct?

Incidentally, (can you believe it, in a London suburb?) we do not get Channel 5 digital broadcasts here and won't get it until 2010.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sonia2010
post Jan 9 2012, 01:22 AM
Post #2

Be nice to me, I am new.

Member No.: 14,775
Card: Avermedia DVB-t

Hi,
Typical DTT reception problems include picture break-up (pixelation) or freezing, clicking sounds, sound dropping out and no reception at all. You may also find that interactive services (red button) aren't working, channels are missing, or you're receiving channels from the wrong region.

To try to work out what's wrong, go through the checklists below.
Is it only your TV that's affected? If possible, check with neighbours or another TV connected to a different aerial. If only your TV is affected, the problem is likely to be in your TV, digital box or aerial. If other TVs are affected, it's more likely to be caused by work at your local transmitter, or possibly the weather.
There may be a glitch in the software, so try restarting your digital box or TV.
Digital switchover means a lot of work at transmitters. Check Digital UK's Planned Engineering Works for news about your local transmitter.
Check your TV. Are the leads at the back - to the mains, the aerial, the digital box, the video or DVD player or recorder, etc - properly connected? Are the plugs secure?
Any of these problems could be a sign of a weak signal. DTT comes to your TV via an aerial, so your aerial may need repairing or upgrading, it may be pointing (even slightly) in the wrong direction, or the aerial or aerial lead may be broken. See TV aerials and connections.
Very occasionally, unusual atmospheric conditions (high air pressure) may cause picture break-up or even complete loss of reception. There is nothing anyone can do about this and the only solution is to wait for the weather to change.
High wind or heavy rain may cause problems in certain circumstances. See The effects of weather.
Do you notice a problem only when equipment such as your boiler or washing-machine is operating? See Electrical interference.
Do you know of an outside source of interference such as an illegal broadcaster (pirate radio)? See Radio interference.

Hi,
If channels you think should have are missing, try retuning your digital box or TV. Channels on Freeview also change from time to time - new ones are added, some are removed and others move to different channel numbers or multiplexes. It's worth retuning your digital box or TV every so often to make sure you're up to date.

After retuning, if channels are still missing:

Check Digital UK's Planned Engineering Works to see if there is work taking place at your local transmitter.
There may be a glitch in the software, so try rebooting your digital box or TV.
Check the full list of channels in the UK national multiplexes on the DMOL website. If all the channels in one of these multiplexes are missing, the problem may be in your aerial. See TV aerials and connections.
If you can receive some of the channels in a multiplex but not all, the problem is more likely to be in your set-top box or digital TV. Please contact your retailer or the equipment's manufacturer.

--------------------
One of the huge names in the so-called werbegeschenke industry (German for promotional goods), Pandinavia AG has an un-paralleled choice of top-class promotional items available for orders of any size.

+Quote Post
ramdash
post Oct 9 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Be nice to me, I am new.

Member No.: 15,159
Card: None

QUOTE (Sonia2010 @ Jan 9 2012, 01:22 AM) *
Hi,
Typical DTT reception problems include picture break-up (pixelation) or freezing, clicking sounds, sound dropping out and no reception at all. You may also find that interactive services (red button) aren't working, channels are missing, or you're receiving channels from the wrong region.

To try to work out what's wrong, go through the checklists below.
Is it only your TV that's affected? If possible, check with neighbours or another TV connected to a different aerial. If only your TV is affected, the problem is likely to be in your TV, digital box or aerial. If other TVs are affected, it's more likely to be caused by work at your local transmitter, or possibly the weather.
There may be a glitch in the software, so try restarting your digital box or TV.
Digital switchover means a lot of work at transmitters. Check Digital UK's Planned Engineering Works for news about your local transmitter.
Check your TV. Are the leads at the back - to the mains, the aerial, the digital box, the video or DVD player or recorder, etc - properly connected? Are the plugs secure?
Any of these problems could be a sign of a weak signal. DTT comes to your TV via an aerial, so your aerial may need repairing or upgrading, it may be pointing (even slightly) in the wrong direction, or the aerial or aerial lead may be broken. See TV aerials and connections.
Very occasionally, unusual atmospheric conditions (high air pressure) may cause picture break-up or even complete loss of reception. There is nothing anyone can do about this and the only solution is to wait for the weather to change.
High wind or heavy rain may cause problems in certain circumstances. See The effects of weather.
Do you notice a problem only when equipment such as your boiler or washing-machine is operating? See Electrical interference.
Do you know of an outside source of interference such as an illegal broadcaster (pirate radio)? See Radio interference.

Hi,
If channels you think should have are missing, try retuning your digital box or TV. Channels on Freeview also change from time to time - new ones are added, some are removed and others move to different channel numbers or multiplexes. It's worth retuning your digital box or TV every so often to make sure you're up to date.

After retuning, if channels are still missing:

Check Digital UK's Planned Engineering Works to see if there is work taking place at your local transmitter.
There may be a glitch in the software, so try rebooting your digital box or TV.
Check the full list of channels in the UK national multiplexes on the DMOL website. If all the channels in one of these multiplexes are missing, the problem may be in your aerial. See TV aerials and connections.
If you can receive some of the channels in a multiplex but not all, the problem is more likely to be in your set-top box or digital TV. Please contact your retailer or the equipment's manufacturer.

Hello,

This is the right track to find the problem. I absolutely agree with this.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 10:55 AM