Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux
Guest_jaded_*
post Apr 30 2004, 12:57 PM
Post #1

Guests

Out of curiosity, I'm looking to see if there's any hope of linux support for the FusionHDTV series of cards. Ideally, we'd be able to use it with MythTV or Freevo or the like. I know that the DVICO faq says "we do not have resources to do Linux porting", but I hold out hope that we might see someone start to hack around with it. Anyone have any leads?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
renura
post Apr 30 2004, 01:45 PM
Post #2

Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 38
Card: None

CODE
I know that the DVICO faq says "we do not have resources to do Linux porting", but I hold out hope that we might see someone start to hack around with it. Anyone have any leads?

DVICO have stated that if anyone is interested in writing Linux drivers for the product, they are willing to provide the information.

So if anyone wants to do that let us know and we will contact DVICO about it.

Cheers

Renura

+Quote Post
Guest_viduka_*
post May 19 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #3

Guests

I have no skills at all with writing Linux drivers, but I'm interested to know if anyone has approached you further on the issue.

I would like to run Mythtv to record HDTV shows but as there is no support yet for the Dvico card I'm having to lean towards purchasing the Visionplus card.

The forums seem to rave about the Dvico Fusion card - is that mainly due to the software provided for windows?

In that case, would Mythtv be the same whether I used the Dvico or Visionplus? (I know the question is a little bit hypothetical as we can't really compare)

I guess what I'm trying to get at is this:

Is the Dvico Fusion card worth me waiting for Linux drivers or should I just go for the Visionplus? :?:

+Quote Post
Guest_jaded_*
post May 20 2004, 01:48 AM
Post #4

Guests

I wish I can say I have some good news here... but nobody has come forward after my requests (including on other boards and groups). I suspect that anyone looking for Linux support is buying the Visionplus or pcHDTV cards. I can understand why -- they're already running under Linux!

I can only hold out hope that Dvico will release an open sourced driver for the card... even if it's only a minimal piece to allow recording from the command line. If we just had a jumping off point, I'm sure developers would embrace the card and integrate it into some of the popular PVR projects (i.e. Myth, Freevo, etc).

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Visionplus card, so I'm not in a position to answer the quesiton of which is better, feature-wise. But I can tell you this: the Visionplus card is working NOW, whereas the Fusion card doesn't have anything more than a third-party's verification that Dvico *might* be cooperative sould someone else want to develop a driver.

+Quote Post
renura
post May 20 2004, 11:37 AM
Post #5

Enthusiast

Member No.: 38
Card: None

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Visionplus card, so I'm not in a position to answer the quesiton of which is better, feature-wise. But I can tell you this: the Visionplus card is working NOW, whereas the Fusion card doesn't have anything more than a third-party's verification that Dvico *might* be cooperative sould someone else want to develop a driver.

Hi jaded,

Fortunately I know all about the VisionPlus, and I can tell you the the difference is like night and day.

Furhermore, the Linux drivers have not been developed by Twinhan, if it were not for the good will and skills of members of this forum we would not have had them.

Similarly, the current development of BDA drivers is solely the merit of members of this forum. Twinhan/Visionplus have no claim to it. DVICO at least is responding to customers requests and developing BDA drivers, to be released soon.

DVICO is also offering any interested party information to help develop such drivers. From a commercial point oif view, their resources are better spent elsewhere.

If you want a card that works under Linux and has the better support, you can buy a Nova-t.

Cheers

Renura

+Quote Post
kenneth
post May 29 2004, 02:09 PM
Post #6

Forum Regular

Member No.: 144
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t / DVICO FusionHDTV

There is hope.

I received an email from a person in Queensland that is developing drivers for linux.

He currently doesn't have any technical information or a card to test the drivers with but he is working on the drivers.

--------------------
From Kenneth
AMD Athlon 2600+, 1.25GB RAM, ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Wireless Edition, Geforce 4 MX440SE (connected to Viewsonic E71f), DNTV Live! DVB-T, DNTV Live! DVB-T Pro, DVICO FusionHDTV , FusionHDTV USB owner, and I also have a VisionPlus DVB-S card

+Quote Post
Guest_davatar_*
post May 30 2004, 07:07 AM
Post #7

Guests

I just ordered the fusion hdtv III QAM, and am interested in developing linux drivers. Who should I contact for technical information?
Also kenneth, can you put me in touch with this person?

Thanks.

+Quote Post
kenneth
post May 30 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #8

Forum Regular

I just ordered the fusion hdtv III QAM, and am interested in developing linux drivers. Who should I contact for technical information?
Also kenneth, can you put me in touch with this person?

Thanks.

I suggest that you contact DVICO for information. They have a number of email addresses on their site (www.dvico.com).

As for getting you in touch with the person who is doing linux drivers for the DVB-T version, I can't do that as he is doing DVB-T drivers, not ATSC/NTSC drivers (which the FusionHDTV III QAM version has).

But, I can get you in contact with someone who is creating mac drivers for the US version of the FusionHDTV cards. He should be able to help you. PM me.

--------------------
From Kenneth
AMD Athlon 2600+, 1.25GB RAM, ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Wireless Edition, Geforce 4 MX440SE (connected to Viewsonic E71f), DNTV Live! DVB-T, DNTV Live! DVB-T Pro, DVICO FusionHDTV , FusionHDTV USB owner, and I also have a VisionPlus DVB-S card

+Quote Post
Guest_cjpascoe_*
post Jun 11 2004, 04:48 PM
Post #9

Guests

I'm one of the people interested in writing a driver for the DVICO DVB-T card, however I have little interest in owning such a card personally if it won't work with Linux. This is a catch 22 that the few people interested in the doing the Linux development also have ...

However, after some discussion, DVICO are going to help out with a loan DVB-T card to test with. Stay tuned; we'll hopefully have something soon. If you're interested in testing things along the way, please send a private message - I'll let you know when the hardware arrives and how things go.

Regards
Chris

+Quote Post
kenneth
post Jul 1 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #10

Forum Regular

For everyone's information, the person in Queensland has made Linux drivers.

Christopher Pascoe, an employeee at thee University of Queensland has made linux drivers for the FusionHDTV.

Link: http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~chrisp/DVICO-Linux/

I haven't tried them yet due to the fact I need to download Mandrake 10 and re-install linux.

This post has been edited by kenneth: Jul 1 2004, 03:26 PM

--------------------
From Kenneth

+Quote Post
Guest_mosquito_*
post Jul 1 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #11

Guests

Holy crap! That's awesome! Now if only we could get a version of the drivers for us Americans.....

Chris, would you be open to providing source as a basis of an ATSC version? I'm not a driver developer, but have been hoping that a Linux driver would be developed by someone!!

+Quote Post
jb007
post Jul 7 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #12

Participant

Member No.: 1,111
Card: DVICO FusionHDTV

Hi All,
Well after a lot of head scratching I have finally gotten Christopher Pascoe's Linux drivers running under Mandrake 10 Official.

It has been running for about two hours... no problems. I can get all Melbourne SD, HD & Radio streams. Unfortunately I'm having trouble streaming HD to mplayer... oh well you can't have everything!

Cheers

jb007

+Quote Post
kenneth
post Jul 8 2004, 12:18 AM
Post #13

Forum Regular

Good to hear jb007.

My attempts at getting it working haven't been as successful but hopefully I will get them working today or tomorrow (depending on my Windows reinstallation).

Hint for getting it working: Do not install the DVB-Core option for the Kernel. This is one of the things I did wrong (other than put a bad path in the MythTV setup config file).

--------------------
From Kenneth

+Quote Post
Guest_stmpjmpr_*
post Jul 14 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #14

Guests

I have the dvico card running well in gentoo, with these drivers.

Haven't had much of an attempt at the remote yet though.

Have installed mythtv without problems as well.

+Quote Post
gshcarter
post Jul 21 2004, 11:46 AM
Post #15

Forum Regular

Member No.: 316
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

I have the VP working with MythTV under MDK10.

Hint for getting it working: Do not install the DVB-Core option for the Kernel. This is one of the things I did wrong.

Does this mean that I can't have both the VP and FusionHDTV working together? I believe the VP needs DVB-Core, doesn't it? If that's the case, I would prefer to have the FusionHDTV working but it would be a shame. Perhaps I can just 'modprobe -r dvb' before giving the Fusion a go. Would that work?

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenneth
post Jul 21 2004, 01:06 PM
Post #16

Forum Regular

QUOTE (chaumurky @ Jul 21 2004, 11:46 AM)
I have the VP working with MythTV under MDK10.

Hint for getting it working: Do not install the DVB-Core option for the Kernel. This is one of the things I did wrong.

Does this mean that I can't have both the VP and FusionHDTV working together? I believe the VP needs DVB-Core, doesn't it? If that's the case, I would prefer to have the FusionHDTV working but it would be a shame. Perhaps I can just 'modprobe -r dvb' before giving the Fusion a go. Would that work?

Donīt bother installing DVB-Core as (as I know of), the Linux DVB-Drivers that Chris P has on his website have support for the VisionPlus in them.

Of course, I may be wrong as I am only trying (finally got Fedora Core 2 installed without stuffing up my MBR on my Windows drive) to get the FusionHDTV working.

--------------------
From Kenneth

+Quote Post
gshcarter
post Jul 21 2004, 01:50 PM
Post #17

Forum Regular

Ahh bugger, I'm already making the bzImage (got impatient!). Oh well, I'll see how I go and do it again if it all goes pearshaped! Oh, yeah. Where does the cx88-0.0.4+DVB stuff go once I've built the modules (or is that taken care of with 'make modules' after the kernel build)? Thanks for your help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenneth
post Jul 22 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #18

Forum Regular

Well I have managed to get the drivers working using Xine.

Still havenīt got MythTV working (canīt fiqure out MythTVīs channel adding).

--------------------
From Kenneth

+Quote Post
gshcarter
post Jul 22 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #19

Forum Regular

Did you catch this setup page? It got me sorted especially with channels.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenneth
post Jul 22 2004, 11:26 AM
Post #20

Forum Regular

QUOTE (chaumurky @ Jul 22 2004, 09:20 AM)
Did you catch this setup page? It got me sorted especially with channels.

Thanks, I never caught that page. Once I have done something else, I will try it.

--------------------
From Kenneth

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 11:33 AM