IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HIP and USBUIRT
Guest_grimcomp_*
post Jun 3 2004, 10:53 AM
Post #1

Guests

My USBUIRT has arrived and it's great. It took about 7 Days in shipping and cost AU $112.00 all up and that's with the extra 56KHz receiver fitted.

Now I have some question's on HIP ( btmi are you there ) in general, but firstly some background information so you can see where I'm at and what I'm trying to achieve.

My Setup

I have a JVC component system consisting of the following:

JVC Dolby Pro Logic Tuner/Amp 80W RMS per Channel
JVC 5 Disk CD Player
JVC Dual Tape Deck
JVC HiFi VCR

these are all connected together using the compu-link interface.

Technics 12" 3-Way Main Speakers
Sony Surround Sound Speakers
10" 60W powered Sub Woofer

Omni DVD Player

This is a cheap and horrible piece of equipment, I only purchased it as an interim measure because I wanted another JVC product, but there were none available in black to match the rest of the system.

Thompson SD Set Top Box.

Not bad but does suffer from video break-up at times and it's immunity to electrical noise is not good, I get a horrible squeal whenever I turn off fluro lights and heavy loaded power points ie, The Kettle.

Panasonic PT-AE500 Projector.

If your looking for an LCD projector then you couldn't go past this. I can't say enough good things about this projector, it's GREAT!, and at around $3,000.00 it is excellent value for money. I have mine ceiling mounted using a Lp Morgan- Black Skyhook Projector Ceiling Mount. The screen is rubber backed curtain lining in an off-white colour mounted into a stained wooden frame and it works quite well, all up cost of the screen (2500mm x 1500mm), about $50.00.

My HTPC system consists of the following ( it used to be my old development computer )

Soltek Motherboard
AMD XP-1800 Processor
1 Gb RD-RAM
30 Gb Primary HDD, 80 GB Secondary HDD ( File Storage )
Sony DVD 8x +/- R/RW Writer
Samsung 16x DVD Reader
Sony 1.44 Mb FDD
ATI 9600 based AGP Card 256 Mb Memory
Vision Plus DVB-T TV Card
USBUIRT Infrared Remote ( using the VisionPlus Remote at the moment )
ClipperPro Infrared Keyboard with intergrated Trackball

Windows 2000 Professional service pack 4
VisionPlus 2.42a Software ( TV Player )
MusicMatch Plus ( Music Player )
Nero OEM 6 ( CD / DVD Backup )
DVD-Cloner ( DVD Backup )
Cyberlink PowerDVD ( DVD Player )
HIP ( HTPC Interface using Enhanced Mode Display )
Lousey old gray case, anyone know there I can get a nice black case that would be suitable for this system?

Now to where I'm heading with this, I see the HTPC replacing the VCR, CD, and DVD components of the existing system and also controlling whats left.

I've played with girder and I didn't like it much, HIP on the other hand is excellent and I would like to continue using it. If I can get HIP do do some of the following things then I believe that it's all I'll need for a front-end to my system, ( my wife was using it for a week and then complained when I took it away because she had to go back to the remote shuffle ).

I need some help with the following, some may be bug's in the USBUIRT section ( it is a beta after all ) and others may be features that don't exist in HIP in which case Peter (btmi) can tell me to go jump.

The following all relate to HIP

I/R Remote training, when training HIP for the JVC Amp Remote I have the following problems, it learns some keys but not other's, the Power and Volumne +/- trained OK but when I try training the Source selector buttons ( VCR & Video ) it will accept the first key press then ask to verify, at this stage the meter will not go above 50 and will not let me cancel. The only way out is to End Task.

I/R Remote Emitting, when I use the Send I/R code button from the Remote Training Area I can turn the Amp on and off perfectly, I don't even need to aim the USBURIT at the Amp, It's that powerfull that even though it's facing away from the the Amp it still works. But when I add a Enhanced Mode Command ( Amp On/Off - Send I/R Command, trained to JVC Remote ) it does not work.

If I start VisionPlus from the windows program manager and then issue a few Commands through the remote then close VisionPlus I get a windows error, This does not happen if I start Vision Plus through HIP.

Now to some requests

Is it possible to get HIP to issue some I/R commands before starting a program, for example I have Item 1 set up to start VisionPlus what I would like is to be able to send a "Select Video Source" command to the JVC Amp first as that is the HTPC Input.

Is it possible to have avilable a feature that send's I/R command out instead of keys to the current program, for example I would like to set Volume +/- to send Volumne I/R commands to the JVC Amp instead of adjusting the windows mixer volume.

Is there a way to order the entries in the Enhanced Section, I would like to be able to order in a sensible way eg: Amp On/Off / Select radio / Select HTPC / then Programs.

That's all for the moment, I'm not in front of the HTPC so I will get the exact windows error messages and add them latter.

Sorry if I'm asking for too much, it's just that I think HIP is great and so close to being exactly what I want that I just have to ask.

Peter smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
btmi
post Jun 8 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

Sorry - I am not ignoring you, I am OS (in Oxford this week) at the moment doing my real job, and I have not had a chance to look in to this forum for a couple of days....I did bring my USB UIRT with me to do some testing...

I/R Remote training, when training HIP for the JVC Amp Remote I have the following problems, it learns some keys but not other's, the Power and Volumne +/- trained OK but when I try training the Source selector buttons ( VCR & Video ) it will accept the first key press then ask to verify, at this stage the meter will not go above 50 and will not let me cancel. The only way out is to End Task.
The fact you have to kill a task is definately a bug, but there may be a problem with the learning part. Can you try and learn the command with Girder just to see if you are succesful? I will have a look at the code to try and work out why.

I/R Remote Emitting, when I use the Send I/R code button from the Remote Training Area I can turn the Amp on and off perfectly, I don't even need to aim the USBURIT at the Amp, It's that powerfull that even though it's facing away from the the Amp it still works. But when I add a Enhanced Mode Command ( Amp On/Off - Send I/R Command, trained to JVC Remote ) it does not work.
I will check out the difference and get back to you. Can you try putting the IR sending commands TWICE in the send command so that each command is sent 2 times, and also try adding a WAIT in between the different commands.

If I start VisionPlus from the windows program manager and then issue a few Commands through the remote then close VisionPlus I get a windows error, This does not happen if I start Vision Plus through HIP.
Let me know the exact errors?

Is it possible to get HIP to issue some I/R commands before starting a program, for example I have Item 1 set up to start VisionPlus what I would like is to be able to send a "Select Video Source" command to the JVC Amp first as that is the HTPC Input.
A good idea which I will add in the next release.

Is it possible to have avilable a feature that send's I/R command out instead of keys to the current program, for example I would like to set Volume +/- to send Volumne I/R commands to the JVC Amp instead of adjusting the windows mixer volume.
If you do NOT assign the Volume keys to the mixer properties, but with IR Commands, this should be possible now.

Is there a way to order the entries in the Enhanced Section, I would like to be able to order in a sensible way eg: Amp On/Off / Select radio / Select HTPC / then Programs.
I think it is just alphabetical (or it should be) in which case it is possible to arrange things by such things as numbers (prefacing each command with a number)...but I will look into seeing how i can improve this.

Please keep the suggestions and bug reports coming. I will try and look into this ASAP, but it will be easier once I am back home in a couple of weeks.

Peter

--------------------

+Quote Post
btmi
post Aug 3 2004, 10:41 AM
Post #3

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

Revisiting an old post....

I recently discovered a problem with the USBUIRT dll which may cause some disruption to the sending of IR Commands from within the interface (the conflict was caused by not turning of the receive part when sending) and so I have uploaded a new beta with a fix for this.

Also I was trying to work out how to place this device so that it would both send an recieve commands, but I have found that both the transmitter and receiver are strong enough to provide many options. For me (to control my amp), I found that simply placing the receiver under the amp with the IR window in line with the front face, it was possible to both send an receive commands. Another tip, if you find the IR light annoying you can set whether it flashes on either sending or receiving from the Girder plugin provided by the manufacturer (unfortunately the author does not share the code so I cannot provide this functionality directly). The more I play with this, the more convinced I am that this is the best device out there...

I also recently acquired an ATI remote (RF X10) and so I plan to write a direct interface for this over the next few weeks, and I think I have found the best budget HTPC keyboard....stay tuned!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 11:25 PM