null_pointer
post Nov 11 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #1

Web Scheduler Developer

Group: Developers
Member No.: 9
Card: None

Rob,

Is it possible to have the "reply quite" button that appears on every posts changed to just a reply button, everyone is using it and quoting everything with each post, is is not usefully and can make some posts very long and hard to follow.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post Nov 11 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #2

Guests

Or default the quoting in the reply off ie make [ + Quote ] the red item

+Quote Post
Rob S
post Nov 12 2005, 08:37 AM
Post #3

Forum Regular
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

There are 2 buttons.

Quote and Reply... i can't help people being silly and quoting entire messages. What people should do is only quote the bit they're trying to reply to...

I know that other forums have a limit to the amount of quoted text compared to what you're writing... i'm not sure if that can be done on IPB

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Nov 12 2005, 09:04 AM
Post #4

Web Scheduler Developer

How are the two buttons supposed to work, I have never worked that bit out, all I see is that when people hit Reply the complete post the added to the reply as a quote.

+Quote Post
nate
post Nov 12 2005, 10:29 AM
Post #5

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

Member No.: 169
Card: DNTV Quad

null, the Quote button is for if you want to quote from more than one post. You click Quote on each of the posts you want to quote and then the Add Reply button at the bottom.

I tend to think that everything is working the way it should. I'm not sure what we can do about people overquoting.

Perhaps we could change the Reply buttons to be the same link as Add Reply. That would mean that to quote a post you'd need to click Quote then Reply (or Add Reply). Would that be better? or is it just creating more work for the people who responsibly quote currently?

--------------------

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Nov 12 2005, 12:08 PM
Post #6

Web Scheduler Developer

I hardly ever find quoting a full message productive, people should selectively quote but that is just me and if everyone else is happy with the current set up then I am happy to.

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post Nov 12 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #7

Guests

No I'm not happy with the current situation either. Whilst I agree that 'educating' people about quoting is a good idea I doubt it's going to achieve very much wink.gif

I still like the suggestion of turning the quoting off for the "Reply" button and only allowing it on "Add Reply" ~

Is it just me or does the current system on having [ - Quote ] work for [ Add Reply ] rather than [ + Quote ] seem totally screwy. I guess someone should take this up with Invision rather than just hacking at it

+Quote Post
nate
post Nov 12 2005, 02:27 PM
Post #8

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

QUOTE (JoeyBloggs @ Nov 12 2005, 03:01 PM) *
Is it just me or does the current system on having [ - Quote ] work for [ Add Reply ] rather than [ + Quote ] seem totally screwy.
I don't understand what you're talking about. Seems fine to me. It's just a toggle. click + to turn it on and - to turn it off.

Would you rather it if it looked like a checkbox and got ticked after you clicked it? I don't really care since i rarely use it anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rob S
post Nov 12 2005, 02:31 PM
Post #9

Forum Regular
Group Icon

Whats - Quote?

BTW, nice to see some feedback smile.gif

- Rob

PS. I'm still at a loss as to how big the dba tv cards forums are compared to here... smile.gif

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Nov 12 2005, 03:41 PM
Post #10

Web Scheduler Developer

I'm still at a loss as to how big the dba tv cards forums are compared to here

This is just me talking here so I am not expecting anyone else to feel like this.

I like a simple forum, what I mean is a single place to post questions and answers, web forums have come a long way and the ability to have multiple forums to facilitate separate areas for each sub topic is ok but it makes it harder for the Noob to work out where to even start reading let along posting a question.

I go to some of these web forums for a single piece of software, take Meedio for example and there is like 40 different forums and sub forums, if I visit the site every day I can start to get a feel for what is going on there but for the first time visitor it can be very confusing as to where to even start.

Ok so back to the BDA forum, all PC and network media player posts are in the same place, if I want to read the most recent posts after not being there for a few weeks I just look in that forum and the most recent 20 posts are there for me to see. I feel the more forums you have makes it harder for a new visitor to get up to speed and more daunting to even post your first post.

This is just me and I know there will be a cry of "stop you crazy person" but I would consolidate a few of the current forums, I know from where I am standing we dont need a Web Scheduler Dev forum and also a general Web Scheduler forum. A single Web Scheduler forum would be fine. There are other example of this as well.

Anyway this is just the ramblings of a crazy person so take from it what you will.

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post Nov 12 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (nate @ Nov 12 2005, 03:27 PM) *
QUOTE (JoeyBloggs @ Nov 12 2005, 03:01 PM) *
Is it just me or does the current system on having [ - Quote ] work for [ Add Reply ] rather than [ + Quote ] seem totally screwy.
I don't understand what you're talking about. Seems fine to me. It's just a toggle. click + to turn it on and - to turn it off.
Right, I'm interpreting it as the current state, rather than a possible future action
wink.gif I think it is confusing as it is ~

+Quote Post
Rob S
post Nov 13 2005, 09:44 AM
Post #12

Forum Regular
Group Icon

QUOTE (null_pointer @ Nov 12 2005, 04:41 PM) *
from where I am standing we dont need a Web Scheduler Dev forum and also a general Web Scheduler forum. A single Web Scheduler forum would be fine. There are other example of this as well.

I'm quite happy to consolidate, but i don't know these things unless people tell me these things smile.gif

That's why there is a feedback section etc... I'm quite happy to take suggestions etc.

- Rob

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post Nov 13 2005, 11:31 AM
Post #13

Guests

Well just to balance things out. I like a nice structured forum with at least as much hierarchy as we have now cool.gif

+Quote Post
PhilbyJ5
post Nov 17 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #14

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 461

I like Null's idea of a single WebScheduler forum. In the early days of WS, there were lots of different versions and a lot of "hard core" dev going on (writing new file writers, etc). This seems to have settled down for quite a while.

A single WS forum might be nice. The same might be true of nates Digital Watch forums, but I should leave that to him to comment on. I don't have any thoughts on the others.

Keep up the great work Rob. smile.gif

+Quote Post
nate
post Nov 17 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #15

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

Hey null. Stop you crazy person!! biggrin.gif

In theory I think having the two different DigitalWatch forums works well because people who aren't interested in the development of DW don't have to wade through heaps of development posts while they're looking for end user info like channels files, or other configuration stuff.

In practice I don't know how many people actually do this, so i don't really know how useful it is. I do notice that there aren't many questions asked about DW so perhaps that's a clue that people can find the information they need easily at the moment. Or of course, noone's using DW and thus the lack of questions (Note to self. check how many download's there have been).

From a personal daily usage point of view I don't much care how the forums are organised. 99% of the time I open threads from the View New Posts page. But I can see that they need to be organised for people who are new to the site or don't visit very often.

the ability to have multiple forums to facilitate separate areas for each sub topic is ok but it makes it harder for the Noob to work out where to even start reading let along posting a question
There's been the occasional cross poster but I havn't noticed too many problems with people posting in inapproprate forums. Getting a gauge of how easily noobs find information is harder to determine. One indicator of problems is repeated posting of the same question. From what i've seen that tends to happen more often in bunched up forums (like the DBA forum) since the old questions get lost in pages and pages of posts.

Ok so back to the BDA forum, all PC and network media player posts are in the same place, if I want to read the most recent posts after not being there for a few weeks I just look in that forum and the most recent 20 posts are there for me to see.
Ok. I see your point with this one. In a forum where you're only interested in some of the subforums then using View New Posts is not really practical.

What would be ideal is a View New Posts in my favorite forums option.
Basically you get to add or remove subforums from your list of favorites, and the one's that aren't selected get excluded from the view new posts results.

Another (less elegant) way to implement this would be to enhance the search function so that instead of having to enter keywords you could return all topics. Then you choose the subforums you want to return. Then to make it easy to use often, add the ability to save searches (like in bugzilla). Your saved searches would get added to the bar at the top alongside My Controls.

Of course both of these options probably require code changes to IPB to work, but i can dream.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post Nov 17 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #16

Guests

Maybe you could find software to filter 'new posts in my favorite subforums' on the client side using the RSS feed... Just thinking out loud here.

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Jan 24 2006, 07:55 AM
Post #17

Web Scheduler Developer

So back to my original question.

Can we have the (" Reply) button that is on each post removed, this would leave the (+ Quote) button for people that wanted to add a quoted message but remove the ability for people to just hit (" Reply) and auto quote the message they are responding to.

I think this is a good balance, what do others think.

+Quote Post
Rob S
post Jan 24 2006, 09:08 AM
Post #18

Forum Regular
Group Icon

I'm happy to try and fix things. But i really don't want to be modifying things too much. It makes it an absolute pain to update.

I hate overquoting and to be honest, never really understood the IPB way of doing things. That automatic quoting of everything is plain stupid.

I prefer the Whirlpool way of doing things, with user selected quoting, and may suggest that to the IPB powers that be...

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Jan 24 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #19

Web Scheduler Developer

One dirty hacky way to do it would be replace the (" Reply) button image with a transparent image of the same size or an image of size 1x1 pix, this would effectivly hide the button and as they say "out of site out of mind"

+Quote Post
Rob S
post Jan 24 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #20

Forum Regular
Group Icon

I just stopped quote embedding, which might fix a few things.

This will remove any quoted text when quoting a post that contains quotes

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2018 - 03:22 PM