IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Streaming Via Videolan
Guest_slab_*
post Oct 23 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #1

Guests

Recently I decided I wanted to be able to watch tv on my laptop, anywhere in my home. I decided that I could put my twinhan tuner in my linux box, and use vlc to stream it to as many pcs as I want over the lan.
Had a few troubles, but all in all it was quite uneventful and easy to do. I'm using Gentoo with the 2.6.13-r4 gentoo-sources kernel.
The machine was originally a duron 800, which streamed the basic TS easily. It needed about 1mb/sec however, and the wireless lan couldnt keep up. The duron didn't have anywhere near enough balls to encode it to mpeg4 on the fly. I sourced an athlon xp 2400+, and now I can stream directly to mpeg4, over the lan/wlan to any machine on my network. It's great.
The quality is perfect, never out of sync, and as a whole is better than my windows experience with this card anyway.
One problem that I'm going to need to overcome is switching channels. Atm I'm just running some basic shell scripts that kill vlc, then start it again with a different frequency being sent to it.
Anyway, thought you guys might be interested in my setup.

Edit:
I should note that for some reason mpeg4 encoding didn't work properly in vlc .82. The video was all jerky. Once I switched back to .81 it works fine. Not sure what the go is there.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gshcarter
post Oct 25 2005, 08:21 AM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 316
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

QUOTE (slab @ Oct 23 2005, 02:05 PM) *
Recently I decided I wanted to be able to watch tv on my laptop, anywhere in my home. I decided that I could put my twinhan tuner in my linux box, and use vlc to stream it to as many pcs as I want over the lan.
Had a few troubles, but all in all it was quite uneventful and easy to do. I'm using Gentoo with the 2.6.13-r4 gentoo-sources kernel.
The machine was originally a duron 800, which streamed the basic TS easily. It needed about 1mb/sec however, and the wireless lan couldnt keep up. The duron didn't have anywhere near enough balls to encode it to mpeg4 on the fly. I sourced an athlon xp 2400+, and now I can stream directly to mpeg4, over the lan/wlan to any machine on my network. It's great.
The quality is perfect, never out of sync, and as a whole is better than my windows experience with this card anyway.
One problem that I'm going to need to overcome is switching channels. Atm I'm just running some basic shell scripts that kill vlc, then start it again with a different frequency being sent to it.
Anyway, thought you guys might be interested in my setup.

Edit:
I should note that for some reason mpeg4 encoding didn't work properly in vlc .82. The video was all jerky. Once I switched back to .81 it works fine. Not sure what the go is there.

Are you doing this with the GUI or commands? If the latter is true, could you PLEASE share your commands/settings??!! I could never work it out. Thnks for your post BTW. It's good to hear it can be done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_slab_*
post Oct 25 2005, 01:20 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (chaumurky @ Oct 25 2005, 08:21 AM) *
Are you doing this with the GUI or commands? If the latter is true, could you PLEASE share your commands/settings??!! I could never work it out. Thnks for your post BTW. It's good to hear it can be done.

I'm doing it via the command line. ATM I just have 5 bash scripts, one for each channel.

CODE
#!/bin/bash

#kill all running vlc sessions
kill `ps -A | grep vlc | awk '{print $1}'`

#use to stream unmodified stream
#vlc dvb: --dvb-frequency=226500000 --dvb-bandwidth=7 --program=561 --sout '#standard{access=http,mux=ts,url=:1234}' -d

#use to transcode to mp4v before streaming. Uses a lot of CPU grunt
vlc dvb: --dvb-frequency=226500000 --dvb-bandwidth=7 --program=561 --sout '#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=2048,scale=1,deinterlace}:standard{access=http,mux=ts,url=:1234}' -d

That script is for abc. Every other script is identical except for the frequency and program. The program can be changed to the respective one for HD if you want to stream HD, and it works fine.
I could probably improve it and not make it kill all running vlc processes, but I cbf, and it works fine for me as is.
VLC needs to be compiled with dvb support before any of this will work.

+Quote Post
gshcarter
post Oct 27 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 316
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

Just what I was looking for. If the DVB capture source tab is available in the gui does that mean it's compiled in? If so, I'm set to go and will try it tonight. Thanks for sharing your settings. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st March 2019 - 10:28 AM