IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HTPC OWNERS, What are your Resolutions/Settings??
Guest_=MOFO=_*
post Jun 2 2005, 02:51 PM
Post #1

Guests

I have searched the forums covering this topic but wasnt able to find anything.

I am a HTPC/HDTV newbie and I am trying to determine best resolutions for viewing HDTV, DVD & Movie Files such as DIVX, XVID, AVI & MPEGS.

I would like to see what your settings are and what players and codecs you have installed.

I understand that refresh rates must be considered also.

I know there is an abundance of players and codecs available though I believe you only require the bare esentials.

If so, what would they be??

cheers

MOFO
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Bulldog_*
post Jun 3 2005, 09:21 AM
Post #2

Guests

I'm fairly new to it myself but I'll let you know what I have.

XP-SP2

Power DVD 6 (installed as a trial ver. and never run so the filters never expire)

DNTV-Live and VP cards for recording and viewing digital TV, and analog capture using the DNTVLive card and NeroVision

Divx codec, basic free version

I haven't tried authoring my own recording to DVD, that seems to be another whole kettle of fish.

I use the S-Video out of a GF4MX440 video card that does an adequate job, but really needs upgrading, outputting at 800X600 to a standard 68cm CRT television at I think 60hz.

Thats all I can think of while sitting at my desk pretending to work, I'm sure I'll think of more stuff as I dive in again this weekend in an effort to get my XBOX playing recordings off my PC, the more you learn about this stuff you begin to realise there is so much more to know.

For viewing recorded files, regardless of the format, I use either DNTVLive or Media Player 10.

+Quote Post
daniel
post Jun 3 2005, 11:21 AM
Post #3

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 180
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

hi MOFO(nice name smile.gif )

i've got a sanyo Z2 projector which has the same native resolution as your Panny - 1280 x 720. Thats what you will want to set your screen resolution to for the best picture. Your computer will then do all the scaling for DVD, HDTV etc. If your in Australia and you watch PAL material you should set the screen refresh rate to 50hz. If your video card drivers don't let you choose 1280 x 720 at 50hz check out a program called powerstrip. i find the program a bit confising to use but there is a support forum that has a lot of timing settings that u use to set it up. eg it had Z2 pal settings so it may have some for your projector.

+Quote Post
Guest_=MOFO=_*
post Jun 3 2005, 01:47 PM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (daniel @ Jun 3 2005, 12:21 PM)
hi MOFO(nice name  smile.gif )

i've got a sanyo Z2 projector which has the same native resolution as your Panny - 1280 x 720. Thats what you will want to set your screen resolution to for the best picture. Your computer will then do all the scaling for DVD, HDTV etc. If your in Australia and you watch PAL material you should set the screen refresh rate to 50hz. If your video card drivers don't let you choose 1280 x 720 at 50hz check out a program called powerstrip. i find the program a bit confising to use but there is a support forum that has a lot of timing settings that u use to set it up. eg it had Z2 pal settings so it may have some for your projector.

Hi daniel

thanks for your response,

I am currently using 1280x 720 @ 60Hz. When I try to change the refresh to 50Hz from 60Hz the screen goes bananas! (massive flicker and heaps of artefacts) At one stage I even lost the desktop completely, I was left with a blue screen with the HDMI imput flashing on/off.

I have the latest ATI Catalyst drivers and menu installed.

I have Powerstrip and am currenly looking at it, yes it does look daunting, your settings with this would be good if you caould post them here.

cheers

MOFO

+Quote Post
Guest_brettob_*
post Jun 3 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (=MOFO= @ Jun 3 2005, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (daniel @ Jun 3 2005, 12:21 PM)
hi MOFO(nice name  smile.gif )

Hi daniel

thanks for your response,

I am currently using 1280x 720 @ 60Hz. When I try to change the refresh to 50Hz from 60Hz the screen goes bananas! (massive flicker and heaps of artefacts) At one stage I even lost the desktop completely, I was left with a blue screen with the HDMI imput flashing on/off.

I have the latest ATI Catalyst drivers and menu installed.

I have Powerstrip and am currenly looking at it, yes it does look daunting, your settings with this would be good if you caould post them here.

cheers

MOFO

try 75hz they recomend any multiples of 25hz

+Quote Post
Guest_=MOFO=_*
post Jun 3 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #6

Guests

[quote=brettob,Jun 3 2005, 04:22 PM]
[quote==MOFO=,Jun 3 2005, 11:47 AM][quote=daniel,Jun 3 2005, 12:21 PM]hi
MOFO

[/quote]
try 75hz they recomend any multiples of 25hz

[/quote]

Hi brettob

I thought the idea was to lower the refresh rate not go up ?!

Now I am confused. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post Jun 3 2005, 05:13 PM
Post #7

Guests

Use 50 or 100 Hz if that's possible. 75 Hz is a least worst case option if you can't acheive 50 or 100. Many LCD screens won't go below 60 and can't achieve 100 so 75 may be your only option ~

+Quote Post
paul_ahb
post Jun 3 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #8

Forum Regular

Member No.: 1,030
Card: None

I don't do anything particulaly special. 1027x768 16m colours. good enough to run it on my 5yo sony telli.

Paul

+Quote Post
daniel
post Jun 3 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #9

Forum Regular

Member No.: 180
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

QUOTE (=MOFO= @ Jun 3 2005, 01:47 PM)
heres the settings so you know what to lookout for but DONT use these exact ones as they are meant for a Z2 and i dont know what they would do to your panny.Source:Powerstrip Timings Forum
Notes: Submitted by Nordic

PowerStrip timing parameters:
1280x720p (50Hz PAL)=1280,112,64,152,720,5,5,20,60300,2050

And in the PLV-Z2 menu:
Fine sync. 14 (or there abouts)
Total dots 1648 (tror det står totalt antal pixel el ng likn)
Horizontal 263 (or there abouts)
Vertikal 26
Clamp 3
Display area H 1280
Display area V 720
From my understanding the timing paramaters are kind of what you would find in a monitors driver. because afaik they dont supply drivers, your projector is probably setup as a generic plug n play monitor which would explain why it goes bananas when u try 50hz. The same thing happened to mine until i got the right settings into powerstrip. i'm pretty sure once you get the right settings u will be able to get 50hz to work. i dont think 75hz will work and im certain 100hz wont. i would do some searches at avsforum.com to find out what you can about your projector. also check to see if the cable/input type your using makes a difference to your timing choice.

+Quote Post
Guest_Eng_*
post Jun 4 2005, 09:53 AM
Post #10

Guests

For DVD playback try Zoomplayer with ffdshow doing resizing. Does amazing things to the Picture Quality of DVD playback.

Have a read through: www.avsforum.com

The HTPC section should interest you.

I am also using Zoomplayer with TSfilesource to playback TS files while Web Scheduler is recording. Works very well.

The resolutions should match your display, is it a CRT plasma or LCD?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2018 - 08:06 PM