> Retail Version Test Builds
null_pointer
post Apr 24 2007, 07:42 PM
Post #1

Web Scheduler Developer

Group: Developers
Member No.: 9
Card: None

The latest test build of the retail version is now available.

WebScheduler-4.1.4.exe

Version 4.1.4

- Fixed a bug with the license tool (fixes a crash some people were having)

- Rebuilt all tools with unified version number to make bugs easier to track down

- Added warning page to installer for Windows 2000 warning they will need to download the dbghelp.dll

Version 4.1.3

- Fix a bug with Scan All channels, the default device was not being used

- Add multiple file support to the DVR-MS capture type, now all capture types can capture to separate files for merged schedule items

Version 4.1.2

- Add Keyboard LED control to indicate currently running captures, this is disabled by default
  • it will take about 30 to 60 seconds once you enable the option for control of the LED's to kick in
  • wireless (RF or IR) keyboards will not work
  • the LED's are updated every 5 seconds when this is enabled
  • if there are no capture running then all the LED's will be off, even if you hit the caps lock, scroll lock or num lock keys
- Fix a layout problem with IE on the EPG page

- Add crash dump code to gather crash information for the capture.exe tool, this writes crash data to a file for debugging

- Refined the activation system, this should work now on system with network interfaces that get enabled and disabled.

Version 4.1.1

This is the first feature enhancement release for the retail version, I have re-added some things that needed to be added back in that were removed in the revamp of the capture engine, I have also added some new stuff that is kind of cool.

Use DisplayName to identify devices
This is a much better approach then using device indexes, this allows Web Scheduler to distinctly identify a device based on its unique device display name. This also allows Web Scheduler to show you missing devices in the device setup page so you can see if a device is missing, this could be because you have unplugged a USB device, your USB hub is dead etc or your device or device driver is malfunctioning. You can see what device is having the problem and know where to start looking.

This this I have also changed the way the device ID is passed to post/pre and error tasks, the $deviceID is now the index of the device in the Web Scheduler list, this allows you to set up special actions for each of your different devices.

Also in the item info and capture logs the ID of the device is logged so you know distinctly what device is being used for a capture and thus if there are any problem (the only time you look at logs smile.gif) then it becomes much easier to see what is going on.

All in all this approach is a much better way of identifying devices.

Added Import to all Exportable lists
For a while now you have been able to export your Auto-Adds, Match Lists, Channels and Task but not import them. You can now import back into Web Scheduler any of these lists. You can also append an import to the currently loaded data, this allows you to say import a single channel and add it to your current list without having to stop Web Scheduler copy file, edit files and restart Web Scheduler.

The Exportable and Importable items are:

- Channels
- Tasks
- Auto-Add List
- Match List

Add full HD support to the Cyberlink Mux
This fully sets the media type descriptor when setting up the Demux and connecting the Muc filter, this allows full HD Video and AC3 audio to the captured using the Cyberlink Mpg capture type.

Improvements to the Tray Icon
The tray icon should now work with Vista and limited user accounts, this was a complete rewrite of the way the tray talks to the service. It was a pain but needed to be done. This allows a few things to be added that were removed in the capture engine reshuffle.

- 10 minute imminent action suspend deny is back
- Web Scheduler service not running indication with a red X

The above were removed and are now back in, I have also added to the status dialog (right click tray icon) the time in hours and minutes to the next schedule. This now allows you to just right click the tray icon to see when the next capture will take place.

Added same file name for multi file capture detection
Web Scheduler usually checks for files of the same name as the currently starting capture and adds a "-1" to the end if the file already exists. With multiple file capture it is possible that two files in the same capture will end up with the same name, Web Scheduler now detects this and adds a "-1" to one of the files names.

Add Capture Start Error and No Data Flowing Error Tasks
Web Scheduler how has the old Capture Start Failed and No Data Flowing errors back, these work a little differently then they used to but they do the same thing. Any Task can be specified as an error task and when an error occurs you can do stuff like kill viewing application or restart drivers. These tasks have a 20 second time out and block until they finish or time out.

All feedback welcome.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dezzy
post Apr 24 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: New Members
Member No.: 4,731
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

I presume that it is OK to install over the top of the existing version?

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Apr 24 2007, 09:35 PM
Post #3

Web Scheduler Developer

Yes for version 4.0 but older version I would un-install and then install this new version.

Also keep in mind this is the retail version and will need activation to be made fully functional.

+Quote Post
black_dog
post Apr 25 2007, 01:38 AM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,277
Card: DVICO FusionHDTV

QUOTE (null_pointer @ Apr 24 2007, 09:35 PM) *
Yes for version 4.0 but older version I would un-install and then install this new version.

Also keep in mind this is the retail version and will need activation to be made fully functional.

Just beware that with the capture device changes, after the install all devices are now
unselected. You have to go to system->devices and re-add all devices.

(at least, I had to do this... ymmv).

@Null,

MPG support suddenly started working with this update. Thanx. :-)
(I dont have players or codec installed on my recording machine, and I only use the xbox media center for
playback of recorded media. until now, mpg written by WS was the only supported content I couldn't play.. )

Blacky

This post has been edited by black_dog: Apr 25 2007, 01:49 AM

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Apr 25 2007, 09:16 AM
Post #5

Web Scheduler Developer

Just beware that with the capture device changes, after the install all devices are now
unselected. You have to go to system->devices and re-add all devices.

yes this is something to watch out for, because of the new device id system you will need to re-select your devices.

MPG support suddenly started working with this update. Thanx. :-)

cool, it looks like setting the extra media type details has helped then.

Thanks for the feedback.

+Quote Post
btidey
post Apr 26 2007, 04:48 AM
Post #6

Forum Regular

Member No.: 694

I was more than happy to get the retail version as this is the core of all my TV recordings and it has proved highly functional, stable and well supported.

Also good to see the support continuing actively. I was pleased to see the 10 minute denial return. I like to keep a fairly aggressive standby policy on the recording PC so there was always a little risk of an unfortunate timing clash.

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Apr 26 2007, 08:39 AM
Post #7

Web Scheduler Developer

I was more than happy to get the retail version as this is the core of all my TV recordings and it has proved highly functional, stable and well supported.

Thanks for your support btidey, it is much appreciated.

Also good to see the support continuing actively. I was pleased to see the 10 minute denial return. I like to keep a fairly aggressive standby policy on the recording PC so there was always a little risk of an unfortunate timing clash.

Just a heads up, Suspend deny is never going to work on Vista. They have removed support for this on Vista for some reason, well I know the reason but don't agree with it.

+Quote Post
black_dog
post Apr 26 2007, 08:59 AM
Post #8

Forum Regular

QUOTE (null_pointer @ Apr 26 2007, 08:39 AM) *
.. I know the reason but don't agree with it.

Don't tell me -> To solve the problem of machine's not suspending, microsoft will allow suspend even if devices say
they are busy??

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Apr 26 2007, 09:11 AM
Post #9

Web Scheduler Developer

What MS have decided is that application should not be able to deny suspend, an about to suspend message is sent to all applications and they have 2 seconds (instead of 20 with XP) to stop doing what they are doing and get ready for the suspend.

MS have taken this approach due to the high number of applications that instead of adding code to shut down network connections, close resources and release open resources were just returning a suspend deny thus the user experience was impacted due to the system not going into suspend.

This was especially painful for end users when applications denied suspend and did not give any visual warning, the system would not go into suspend and the user would be left scratching their head as to why.

Also it looks like a the main reason is laptops, if an app denies suspend on a laptop then you shut the display (fold down the display) and the user is not informed the the machine will quickly deplete the battery. I think from what info I can find this was the main factor MS took into consideration when removing deny suspend form Vista.

+Quote Post
garcot
post Apr 26 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #10

Participant

Member No.: 4,226

QUOTE (null_pointer @ Apr 24 2007, 12:35 PM) *

Something odd going on with activation. Activated version 4.1.0. Ok, WS identified me and loaded a full two weeks of EPG. Called up WS today, banner says not activated. Overwrote 4.1.0 with 4.1.1 without reactivating earlier version first and the updated version came up activated, (two weeks EPG shown). Closed IE7, called up WS from system tray icon (clock), now not activated, only two days EPG etc.

Am I missing something or is there a bug?

Garcot

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Apr 26 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #11

Web Scheduler Developer

You should not have to reactive going from 4.1.0 to 4.1.1, you can activate as many times as you want to there is no limit, about the only thing I can thing of is that the activation uses your MAC address as part of the verification process, have you install a new network card or software that installes a virtual network card recently?

+Quote Post
black_dog
post Apr 26 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #12

Forum Regular

QUOTE (null_pointer @ Apr 25 2007, 09:16 AM) *
yes this is something to watch out for, because of the new device id system you will need to re-select your devices.
cool, it looks like setting the extra media type details has helped then.

Thanks for the feedback.

I noticed while playing around with schedules that use MPG, if two schedules using different recording
types are adjacent, both are recorded with the recording type of the first.

I remember this is an old problem, but with the new file splitting technology built into the v4 series,
can you create the multiple output streams as different file format? (As long as those formats
supported file splitting.. ie, mpg and ts).

Blacky.

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Apr 26 2007, 09:41 PM
Post #13

Web Scheduler Developer

Anything is possible, the question is would it be useful, most people capture using the same capture type thus this would be for most people a useless addition, the question is do enough people record mixed capture type captures to warrant the extra coding/testing that this would require? This is a big change so for now I can add it to the list of things to look into.

+Quote Post
black_dog
post Apr 26 2007, 11:15 PM
Post #14

Forum Regular

QUOTE (null_pointer @ Apr 26 2007, 09:41 PM) *
Anything is possible, the question is would it be useful, most people capture using the same capture type thus this would be for most people a useless addition, the question is do enough people record mixed capture type captures to warrant the extra coding/testing that this would require? This is a big change so for now I can add it to the list of things to look into.

Thanks for the response,

For now, I'd be just as happy if they failed to merge because of 'incompatible' recording formats.

That would have no impact on users recording in only a single format, and, worst case, require an additional
tuner for the duration of the overlap.. (I'm making assumptions about how flexible the merging code is.)

Also, when the shows are auto added, the single 'added' shows have a 'delete' icon, but the merged shows have
an 'edit' icon next to each scheduled item. Why can't I edit un-merged items?

Blacky

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Apr 27 2007, 06:59 AM
Post #15

Web Scheduler Developer

For now, I'd be just as happy if they failed to merge because of 'incompatible' recording formats.

do you record using multiple capture types? just out of interest what for?

Also, when the shows are auto added, the single 'added' shows have a 'delete' icon, but the merged shows have
an 'edit' icon next to each scheduled item. Why can't I edit un-merged items?

This is a bug, child auto-add items should not have an edit button.

+Quote Post
garcot
post Apr 27 2007, 07:01 AM
Post #16

Participant

QUOTE (null_pointer @ Apr 26 2007, 01:46 AM) *
the only thing I can thing of is that the activation uses your MAC address as part of the verification process, have you install a new network card or software that installes a virtual network card recently?

No but I have been using my computer to set up a broadband connection with my service provider for a friend who has no internet connection until the ISP sends him his router. Would logging on to his account to report progress have any effect on my computer's MAC address? This evening, WS came up activated although I have only entered the activation code the once, ( on version 4.1.0) and yesterday WS .1 was reporting "not activated".

A small point noted on 4.1.1. (Did not notice this on 4.1.0 but it might be the same). On the EPG screen, the data is a little high so that "Home" is almost lost behind the IE7 frame containing gogole search etc.

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Apr 27 2007, 08:16 AM
Post #17

Web Scheduler Developer

No but I have been using my computer to set up a broadband connection with my service provider for a friend who has no internet connection until the ISP sends him his router. Would logging on to his account to report progress have any effect on my computer's MAC address? This evening, WS came up activated although I have only entered the activation code the once, ( on version 4.1.0) and yesterday WS .1 was reporting "not activated".

If you were adding and removing network interfaces then yes this could do it.

On the EPG screen, the data is a little high so that "Home" is almost lost behind the IE7 frame containing gogole search etc.

I will have a look, thanks.

+Quote Post
garcot
post Apr 27 2007, 08:58 AM
Post #18

Participant

QUOTE (null_pointer @ Apr 26 2007, 11:16 PM) *
If you were adding and removing network interfaces then yes this could do it.

Further tonight on activation. I have now found that if I call up WS when my broadband modem is active (connected) then ws shows " activated". Go off line and refresh the WS screen, and it changes to "not activated". Go on-line, refresh and WS is activated. I Know it is WEBscheduler but I do not use it "on-line". Tried to activate WS while off-line but "cannot show webpage error". How do I use the new version off-line?

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Apr 27 2007, 09:16 AM
Post #19

Web Scheduler Developer

So going of line disables your network interface? what type of modem do you have? does it have a Dial in component?

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Apr 27 2007, 11:45 AM
Post #20

Web Scheduler Developer

See first post for download link.

Version 4.1.2

- Add Keyboard LED control to indicate currently running captures, this is disabled by default

- Fix a layout problem with IE on the EPG page

- Add crash dump code to gather crash information for the capture.exe tool, this writes crash data to a file for debugging

- Refined the activation system, this should work now on system with network interfaces that get enabled and disabled

@garcot, try this build and see if it fixes your problem.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st March 2019 - 09:13 AM