> What DNTV devices or software do you use/
therat
post Jan 16 2018, 10:36 PM
Post #1

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,165
Card: DNTV Quad

i still use a DABBY and a TinyTwin v3 with DNTV and Scheduler Pro every day for all my TV recording and listening to DAB audio and FM Radio. Great combination and very reliable.

combined with the free Plex Media Server we are able to watch all my recorded and downloaded video via our T-Box, Android TVs and smartphones and tablets right through our house.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
frednerk33
post Jan 27 2018, 11:00 AM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: New Members
Member No.: 4,667
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

Wow, how good is that ! I have a bunch of TinyUSB2's so beaut !
I'll be trying this out when work becomes less demanding (retiring mid year).
Thank you so much for explaining how it's done. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
DrP
post Jan 27 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #3

Forum Regular

Member No.: 57
Card: DNTV tinyUSB

Might have to revise that slightly. The tinyusb2s do work but time has taken its toll. At a guess I'd say it may be failing capacitors. They still have really good noise immunity, better than the ebay realteks, but when cold they all report low signal level (37%-ish) which is hardly surprising given the antenna is sitting on a box, but after they heat up the signal level starts bobbing around but has an overall upward trend reaching around 76%.

Still not bad considering their age.

--------------------
Looking for an alternative to TV Scheduler Pro? Take a look at dvscheduler for Windows or tvheadend for linux.

+Quote Post
DrP
post Feb 1 2018, 05:20 AM
Post #4

Forum Regular

One thing I have noticed is that the driver for the tinyusb doesn't seem to flush the device's buffer which can result in old / unrelated transport packets appearing at the start of a recording. For most purposes this doesn't cause a problem but things like projectx will get upset and complain about being unable to sync the audio and video whilst videoredo will take a while to scan the file and work out what is going on.

tvheadend has a solution, just set Skip Initial Bytes in the configuration > dvb inputs > tv adaptors page. I set it to 15000, but that's probably massively excessive and equates to about 80 transport packets.

--------------------
Looking for an alternative to TV Scheduler Pro? Take a look at dvscheduler for Windows or tvheadend for linux.

+Quote Post
frednerk33
post Feb 4 2018, 01:47 AM
Post #5

Forum Regular

Group: New Members
Member No.: 4,667
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

thanks

+Quote Post
DrP
post Feb 11 2018, 08:14 AM
Post #6

Forum Regular

A little more info on the elcheapo ebay tuners if anyone else is considering going down that path. I mentioned above that they aren't as good as the tinyusb2 when it comes to impulse noise. Even when connected to my roof antenna which, according to the test meter has excellent reception stats, the ebay tuners could still occasionally produce bursts of broken/missing transport packets.

Muppet Labs testing by causing some local arcing near the tuners readily produced errors. It turns out these things have absolutely no shielding at all, not even provision for a tin can that has been left out to lower costs. A layer of alfoil enclosing the tuners and making contact with the coax shield was the answer. They still can't produce the 100% clean transport streams that the tinyusb2 does when connected to an antenna sitting on a box in the workshop, but from the roof antenna they are now squeaky clean.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 06:01 PM