> Double action after upgrading to HIP 4
henris
post Jul 2 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #1

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 13,573
Card: None

I've been using HIP from 2005 in my Meedio driven htpc for MCE/Logitech Harmony control (windows xp). Everything has been working perfectly until a few days ago the HIP configuration dialog started to show up during startup (ie not minimised). This should have been caused by a missing application in the configuration but there was none of that kind (no greyed application and I double checked existence of every listed app). I had been doing some updates to the system so I thought they were causing some kind of incompatability with the old HIP version. As there was a brand new version of HIP available I decided to upgrade to HIP 4.

I closed HIP and installed with the full installation app. Everything seemed to go fine and my old configuration was still there. But now every key press with Harmony remote resulted in double action in Meedio and other applications. I had a recollection from past to this particular problem and quickly found the FAQ section telling that the problem was with MCE driver not being the correct alternative one. So I first tried with the update driver method through the device manager (pointing to mceir.inf in the MCEIR subdir under HIP application directory). Update went fine but it did not correct the problem. I did a reboot to no avail. Then I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the MCE device with the alternate driver but although the installation went fine it did not help either. Still double action...

I should have the alternate driver in place and I haven't touched the configuration at all. I have configured the number, arrow keys and some other general keys to be system wide and others on application basis. Everything is handled as key presses towards the applications, so there is no native usage of MCE remote. As I have customised button actions I must have had the alternative driver in use prior to this upgrade. So it must be somehow related to the 4.0 installation. What else could be causing this behaviour (eg. some setting resetted within HIP)?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me on this one! I can post details on my configuration once someone point what to post.

BR, henris
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
btmi
post Jul 20 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

The cause of double action is always the same, the DLL commands are being acted upon by two programs. The reason why the MCE dll was created in the first place was to stop MCE from generating key strokes from IR button presses, and so it seems you are back to square one.

I have not updated the MCE driver since the first release and so I cannot guess what may have caused your problems. I bet though if you turn off Hip, your remote will still work and so if you find the other application and disable it, then you might be back to where you were.

--------------------

+Quote Post
henris
post Aug 12 2010, 05:17 AM
Post #3

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 13,573
Card: None

QUOTE (btmi @ Jul 20 2010, 04:06 PM) *
The cause of double action is always the same, the DLL commands are being acted upon by two programs. The reason why the MCE dll was created in the first place was to stop MCE from generating key strokes from IR button presses, and so it seems you are back to square one.

I have not updated the MCE driver since the first release and so I cannot guess what may have caused your problems. I bet though if you turn off Hip, your remote will still work and so if you find the other application and disable it, then you might be back to where you were.

Thank you for your answer! Though it did not solve my problem it lead to another trial with success. I first tried turning of Hip to see whether my remote (Logitech Harmony acting as MCE) was still functional. It wasn't, this was logical since from the beginning I have had no application using MCE natively , everything is going through HIP using key strokes. Then I took another look on the preferences and found the MCE configuration in "Alternate input/Device Configuration". There was "Repeat Delay" setting which I had never found and thus definetely not changed before. The value was set to 200ms and I set it to 1000ms to see if a big change had an effect. And almighty the double action was gone laugh.gif blink.gif unsure.gif . I then searched the minimum setting still functional which proved to be 220ms. So problem solved. Harmony was simply sending the IR-code too long and it was considered to be two.

I still don't know what caused the problem to emerge during HIP ugrade, I suspect some minor tweak into code related to timings between the versions. I will now also look into Logitech Harmonys timing settings whether the repeat delay could be taken down to much smaller values which would make scrolling lists much faster.

So there is definetely also a second way to produce double action with HIP, atleast when using Logitech Harmony. Hope this info helps some one else.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Aug 12 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

Thanks for the information. I am glad your problem was solved.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 01:40 PM