Rob S
post Jan 31 2006, 02:56 PM
Post #1

Forum Regular
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

The Wiki seems to have lost it's direction, so i'd like to find out how we can make it better.

I think the Wiki is a good idea. I know at the DBA forums they have a couple of sticky FAQs there with info in them. There could be loads of information worth adding. The organisation seems to be a bit of a mish mash. I'd like to get that fixed and make it way easier to navigate.

If there was some sort of competition with a fairly decent prize, would that help get content in there?

Also if anyone would like to help out and maintain/moderate the Wiki, let me know.

Please discuss.

PS. The Wiki can be found by following the link in the top left corner or by visiting http://wiki.dvbowners.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Jan 31 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #2

Web Scheduler Developer

Group: Developers
Member No.: 9
Card: None

I agree the wiki is a great idea, the main problem is working out how to use it from an editing point of view. People seem to want to add lots of small pages with links to other small pages, it makes updating pain in the ass.

We really need people to take ownership of an area and populate it, the main problem with this is the people that know the most usually dont have the time, I know I dont.

+Quote Post
Rob S
post Jan 31 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #3

Forum Regular
Group Icon

Neither do I :S hence me asking for help smile.gif I should also add, if anyone is keen to help out with other parts of dvbowners.com, let me know.

+Quote Post
damianh
post Jan 31 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,844
Card: DNTV Live! Low Profile

QUOTE (Rob S @ Jan 31 2006, 04:15 PM) *
Neither do I :S hence me asking for help smile.gif I should also add, if anyone is keen to help out with other parts of dvbowners.com, let me know.

I could probably offer some time every week to help in some way. My knowledge of programming is pretty basic but as an av technician and a solid knowledge of digital tv i think i could help a bit.
Let me know what you need.
By the way , im extremely busy myself but id really like to see this forum reach a new level. cool.gif

+Quote Post
paul_ahb
post Feb 1 2006, 11:18 AM
Post #5

Forum Regular

Member No.: 1,030

I am happy to help with the wiki. I have already added quite a bit of info to it (and I am probably one of the small pages culprits unsure.gif )

But if we have guidelines eg one app has only one page, then I don't mind cleaning up stuff.

I don't think prizes are neccessary, I would rather see the money goto the people who make all this stuff realy work eg rob, null, btmi, nate...

Paul

+Quote Post
DavoNogo
post Feb 1 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #6

Forum Regular

Member No.: 2,804
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

What kind of information are we looking at here? Specific to each card or DTV in Australia (in general)?

+Quote Post
renura
post Feb 1 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #7

Enthusiast

Member No.: 38

I think it's a great idea and if there is anything I can do let me know.

Time of course is a big issue, I am always around here, but hardly have the time to think smile.gif

I think the DTV cards comparison is a good reference and would be very useful to those looking to buy a card.

"How To" guides are (I think) possibly the area where time would be better spent.

--------------------
Renura Enterprises Pty Ltd - Owner of DigitalNow and MediaNow- Importers, Distributors and Retailers of Digital TV and other Digital Multimedia Solutions

+Quote Post
Rob S
post Feb 1 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #8

Forum Regular
Group Icon

QUOTE (paul_ahb @ Feb 1 2006, 12:18 PM) *
But if we have guidelines eg one app has only one page, then I don't mind cleaning up stuff.

Suggestions please smile.gif If you want to go and try something, let me know, i'll give you the appropriate access to touch "protected" pages.

QUOTE (DavoNogo @ Feb 1 2006, 02:01 PM) *
What kind of information are we looking at here? Specific to each card or DTV in Australia (in general)?

Anything and everything DVB related. Perhaps starting with PC Digital TV and HTPC stuff then branching out. I'd like to see a few more comparison type pages. For example, Plasma Panels etc... It's all the kind of info that people would find super handy...

What's definitely needed is better structure. I'm available for ideas. in the mean time i have to upgrade the wiki to the latest version, which i kinda messed up and had to revert. Thankfully i took full backups smile.gif

There are a few wiki's about, it might be worth a look to see how they're sorted and what they do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
http://codex.wordpress.org
http://gallery.menalto.com (it's the documentation part)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2018 - 08:20 PM