IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hyperreality HTPC Keyboard, Anyone got one?
mitty
post May 9 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #1

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,047
Card: DNTV tinyUSB

Just wondering if anyone has got the all in one HTPC Wireless keyboard/mouse combo from Hyper-reality. Check it out at http://www.hyperreality.com.au/hyper.php?s...=htpc_keyboards . I'm thinking of getting one and would welcome any feedback anyone can give. All the reviews etc I've read seem pretty good, but if anyone has actual real world stories to relay I'd love to hear em.
Thanks smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post May 9 2005, 10:47 AM
Post #2

Guests

Yup works fine for me smile.gif Only issue for me is that I still find the joystick a bit fiddly and would probably prefer a trackball ~ but it gets the job done none the less. It is quite heavy on batteries so rechargables are a must, I swap them out about once a week.

+Quote Post
HyperReality
post May 9 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #3

Participant

Member No.: 626

Joey, are you using it for day-to-day use (ie as a desktop keyboard replacement) or for HTPC use? The feedback we've received (and what we've seen ourselves) is that, for HTPC use, you should get 3 months out of a quality set of alkalines.

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post May 9 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #4

Guests

Just for HTPC use. IIRC I probably got ~ 8 weeks on alkalines. The rechargables probably last up to ~ 2 weeks, I don't really keep track of it.

+Quote Post
mitty
post May 9 2005, 01:39 PM
Post #5

Forum Regular

QUOTE (JoeyBloggs @ May 9 2005, 10:47 AM)
It is quite heavy on batteries so rechargables are a must, I swap them out about once a week.

Tis a bit of a concern. I have an elcheapo 39.95 wireless keyboard/mouse combo I got from DSE. It's standard keyboard size and shape, separate mouse, but batteries (even rechargeables) last for ages. I'd like an all in one but can't really justify the extra expense, was simply curious about the all in one option. As with my DVico Card and Digitalnow, I didn't discover Hyperreality until AFTER I already had my existing keyboard!!!

One of these days when I have some spare cash I'll probably get one smile.gif

+Quote Post
paul_ahb
post May 9 2005, 01:50 PM
Post #6

Forum Regular

Member No.: 1,030
Card: None

I have just got one a couple of weeks ago. Seems to work fine. It is leaps ahead of my last wireless keyboard (logitec). For me, the integrated mouse and handles on the sides are great. The range is also greater than my logitec keyboard smile.gif. I am happy with the purchase.

issues that I have found:
I wish the joystick mouse speed could be configured to be faster, but I haven't worked out how to do that.

I have also found that the joystick is a little sticky down the bottom (ie, when I pull the joystick down it doesn't spring back as quickly as it does in the other directions. I am not sure if I just have a dud one or if this is in the design.

Has anyone else had either of these issues and found solutions?

Paul

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post May 9 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #7

Guests

Tis a bit of a concern
It isn't really and there may be something atypical in my environment that is causing it to suck more power ie someone else has a device operating on the same frequency that causes it to wake up more often or something ~~~

One of these days when I have some spare cash I'll probably get one
Yet to see anything better smile.gif

I wish the joystick mouse speed could be configured to be faster, but I haven't worked out how to do that.
No idea but have you read the manual tongue.gif cool.gif

I have also found that the joystick is a little sticky down the bottom (ie, when I pull the joystick down it doesn't spring back as quickly as it does in the other directions.
I don't see this

+Quote Post
paul_ahb
post May 10 2005, 10:22 AM
Post #8

Forum Regular

QUOTE (paul_ahb @ May 9 2005, 01:50 PM)
issues that I have found:

I have also found that the joystick is a little sticky down the bottom (ie, when I pull the joystick down it doesn't spring back as quickly as it does in the other directions.  I am not sure if I just have a dud one or if this is in the design.

HyperReality actively sent me a message about this with ways to solve my problems (well the btc keyboard ones anyway tongue.gif):

I thought I had adjusted the mouse speed before but I had actually only adjusted the double click speed unsure.gif

After taking it apart and unscrewing the joystick (and reassembling) it is working fine now (no sticking).

I am now very happy with the purchase, and the support that hyperreality have provided. I hadn't even emailed them yet.

As for the battery drain, My life seems to be powered by rechargable AA batteries anyway so battery dain isn't a real concern for me.

Paul

+Quote Post
Guest_ajm_*
post May 26 2005, 09:31 AM
Post #9

Guests

Sorry that this is rather off topic and a the thead now a little out of date but this thread popped up with a search on keyboards.

I was wondering whether anyone knows of a backlit wireless keyboard that would be suitable for HTPC use? I currently have a Gyration mouse and keyboard that work flawlessly. The only downside is that in a very dark room it's near impossible to see the keyboard layout. Far too much time spent using the keyboard myself means I have very frew problems but in an effort to raise the WAF a few degrees I thought I'd see if there was the option of using a keyboard with backlight like some of the remotes do.

Any suggestions?
ajm

+Quote Post
btmi
post May 26 2005, 09:45 AM
Post #10

Forum Regular

Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

QUOTE (ajm @ May 26 2005, 08:31 AM)
Sorry that this is rather off topic and a the thead now a little out of date but this thread popped up with a search on keyboards. 

I was wondering whether anyone knows of a backlit wireless keyboard that would be suitable for HTPC use?  I currently have a Gyration mouse and keyboard that work flawlessly.  The only downside is that in a very dark room it's near impossible to see the keyboard layout.  Far too much time spent using the keyboard myself means I have very frew problems but in an effort to raise the WAF a few degrees I thought I'd see if there was the option of using a keyboard with backlight like some of the remotes do.

Any suggestions?
ajm

As far as I know the only backlit keyboards are wired ones (they use too much juice for a wireless).

--------------------

+Quote Post
mitty
post Dec 30 2005, 01:09 PM
Post #11

Forum Regular

No!!!! I was just thinking of one of these, and now Hyperreality no longer stock them!!! Are they available elsewhere? Hyperreality, is there any chance that they may come back??? D'oh! I do like the look of the Microsoft one, but it's very expensive!

+Quote Post
paul_ahb
post Dec 30 2005, 01:29 PM
Post #12

Forum Regular

QUOTE (mitty @ Dec 30 2005, 02:09 PM) *
No!!!! I was just thinking of one of these, and now Hyperreality no longer stock them!!! Are they available elsewhere? Hyperreality, is there any chance that they may come back??? D'oh! I do like the look of the Microsoft one, but it's very expensive!

the microsoft one doesn't look that expensive:
http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/product...asp?c1=33&c2=49

but I still prefer the look of the btc, it's easy to grab with one hand.

Paul

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post Dec 30 2005, 01:40 PM
Post #13

Guests

I was planning on maybe getting another one too ~

They are available on eBay there is a new smaller model out as well the 9116URF http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-21keyboard.htm#9116urf although the mouse keys and joystick placement seem really ill positioned for ergonomic use sad.gif What morons design these things dry.gif And who in management lets them get away with it rolleyes.gif

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=9019urf turned up one vendor ~

Are you sure that you can get drivers for the Microsoft one ? IIRC it only works with MCE2005 ~

Another more expensive option might be this http://www.digitalrise.biz/products/input/keyboard_btb/ I really like the concept of the trackball instead of the joystick but it's a bit on the expensive side ~

OEM it's from Blue Logic Technologies, South Korea bluelogic.co.kr

I'm guessing either of these fine gentlemen would sell you a container full cool.gif
http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10832574/Bl...l_Keyboard.html
http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10915865/Bl...l_Keyboard.html

I also saw a rumour that these people are planning on shipping one as well ~ http://www.chwangyi.com/the_ball.html cool.gif

+Quote Post
daniel
post Dec 31 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #14

Forum Regular

Member No.: 180
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

if you want a good long range keyboard check out the globlink Wireless Slimline Keyboard. its got an optical trackball, 2.4GHz, USB dongle and a claimed 40-50-feet range which i reckon is probably fairly accurate since i can use it from three rooms away through walls. You can get them at http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/. Its $110 which is kind of pricey considering its not a name brand but I've had one for a few months and it works really well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2018 - 09:09 PM