phenetrik
post Aug 19 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #1

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 14,477
Card: None

Hi

I've just installed a Quad DVB-T card into a HP MicroServer running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I am running Windows Media Centre and while I was able to detect all 27 channels the picture quality on them is far lower than on my plasma. If I connect the same cable to my plasma all the channels are great and in HD... bright, vibrant and clear. Running it through the DVB-T, they all look dark and grainy, as if they were analogue.

On the same system if I playback a HD video file (say an mkv for example) the picture quality is perfect. Same if I play a bluray disk.

I am hoping someone can help me sort out this issue. I am hoping it's software/codec related. Any help appreciated.

Some details on my setup.

Media related software installed
- Windows Media Centre
- Shark Codecs (32bit and x64)
- PowerDVD 10

Hardware
- System: HP ProLiant N36L
- Video Card: Asus HD 5450 Silent (HDMI out is connected to a Sony STR-KM7000
Plasma: Samsung PS50P01FDX/XSA

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
therat
post Aug 19 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,165
Card: DNTV Quad

What brand of TV Tuner is it?

+Quote Post
phenetrik
post Aug 20 2011, 03:39 PM
Post #3

Be nice to me, I am new.

DigitalNow Quad DVB-T Receiver

http://digitalnow.com.au/dvbtcards.html

+Quote Post
therat
post Aug 20 2011, 05:12 PM
Post #4

Forum Regular

It certainly sounds like a decoder/codec problem. Have you tried using the DNTV LIVE! software that comes with the card to see what the picture quality on it is like?

I don't use the Win 7 Media Center but prefer DNTV LIVE! so no expert to using WMC.

There used to be a small utility that displayed what the decoder in use was and also the ability to select the decoder of choice. Unfortunately I am not sure if it available or works in Win 7. It was available at http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/files/

one thing you could try is to uninstall the codec packs you have installed and see if it makes any difference.

BTW DigitalNow have their own forum here - the DNTV forum.

cheers

EDIT: This is the file. Should work in Win 7 but not certain. Use at your own risk - http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/file...ecoder-utility/

This post has been edited by therat: Aug 20 2011, 05:16 PM

+Quote Post
therat
post Aug 20 2011, 05:20 PM
Post #5

Forum Regular

One way to check the quality of the DVB-T picture is to do a recording and then watch the recorded file in another program such as Powerdvd. If the quality of the recorded TV is good but live TV is poor the problem is the decoder/codec in Media Center.

+Quote Post
phenetrik
post Aug 22 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #6

Be nice to me, I am new.

Hi - thanks for the tips.

I have tried DNTV LIVE! and the quality was even worse. I noticed when it was scanning channels that it had signal strength at 78% and signal quality at 100%. Is that good enough?

I had already run a little utility to check the codec I am using, and it is the MS one. (there was no other option).

I tried removing all the shark codecs and that didn't help either.

I'll try the other support forum too. So failing that I guess my next option is to try the card in another machine to rule out the PC, and then try the PC at another location to try rule out the antenna signal (though I doubt it's that since the quality is good on the tv).

Thanks again.

+Quote Post
therat
post Aug 22 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #7

Forum Regular

When you installed the drivers for the Quad, dids you install the latest ones from the DigitalNow website? Also make sure when installing the drivers that you right click the drivers setup.exe file and click on "Run as Administrator" (most important).

The MS codec should be fine for WMC but the DNTV LIVE decoder is recommended for use within DNTV LIVE! for best results.

When installing DNTV LIVE! did you also utilize the "Run as admistrator" and importantly did you install all parts of the program in the \Program Files folder and NOT the \Program Files (x86) folder?

Have you tried making a recording and playing it back in say media Player to see if it has problems? That way we can run out certain things.

Also check your installed Windows updates and see if update KB2529073 is installed. If it is then uninstall it and reboot and test again.

cheers

+Quote Post
karl10247
post Sep 30 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #8

Be nice to me, I am new.

Member No.: 14,578

Hey Phenetrik,

I've just found this thread and the issue you are having is exactly the same as i am.
Im also on Win 7 Ultimate x64 and i've just fitted the quad tuner into a new HTPC i have built. So far im less than impressed by the quality of live TV through windows MCE, it appears slightly "grainy" wereas if i take the aerial out and plug it straight into my LCD tv it is crystal.
I have not tried DNTV live yet but was hoping not to use it although i have ran the scan and got 78% signal quality
Havent installed shark codecs yet as fresh install but i will refrain until i rule out software as the cause of the grainy/dull reception.
All channels are coming through fine via MCE but the grainy/dull appearence is disappointing me and if i cant come to resolve i might return it.

Did you find a resolve?

Look forward to your response

+Quote Post
renura
post Sep 30 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #9

Enthusiast

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (karl10247 @ Sep 30 2011, 09:37 AM) *
Hey Phenetrik,

I've just found this thread and the issue you are having is exactly the same as i am.
Im also on Win 7 Ultimate x64 and i've just fitted the quad tuner into a new HTPC i have built. So far im less than impressed by the quality of live TV through windows MCE, it appears slightly "grainy" wereas if i take the aerial out and plug it straight into my LCD tv it is crystal.
I have not tried DNTV live yet but was hoping not to use it although i have ran the scan and got 78% signal quality
Havent installed shark codecs yet as fresh install but i will refrain until i rule out software as the cause of the grainy/dull reception.
All channels are coming through fine via MCE but the grainy/dull appearence is disappointing me and if i cant come to resolve i might return it.

Did you find a resolve?

Look forward to your response

For your information, picture quality as you describe it, is not dependent on the TV tuner, rather it is the software you use, the video decoders, video card and its drivers and the display/settings - so I suggest you look at those things, not the TV tuner card.

--------------------
Renura Enterprises Pty Ltd - Owner of DigitalNow and MediaNow- Importers, Distributors and Retailers of Digital TV and other Digital Multimedia Solutions

+Quote Post
gameroflol
post Jun 27 2014, 11:50 AM
Post #10

Be nice to me, I am new.

Member No.: 15,723

Bro, you are great, and i know a nice web site please check this

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2019 - 02:12 AM