> key held on remote is too slow - dvico remote
spotty
post Nov 16 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #1

Participant

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,317
Card: None

I am using HIP to interface a Dvico remote with GBPVR and it works well but not quite right.
The 'held key delay' in HIP is set to 700ms, so when I hold a key down on the remote it repeats every 0.7sec.
I would like to set it to less, but if I do GBPVR doesn't keep up. This means after I have stopped holding the button, scrolling of options keeps going for a while longer.
I know GBPVR can respond faster, as it goes much faster using the keyboard.
Could this be something to do with HIP?

System:
Hip 3.0.2.12
Dvico remote
gbpvr latest
WinXP sp3

This post has been edited by spotty: Nov 16 2009, 08:23 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
btmi
post Dec 6 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

Hip has quite a bit of processing to do with every command it receives, and so it will never be as efficient as direct keyboard input and so I do not think there is much you can do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nate
post Dec 6 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #3

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 169
Card: DNTV Quad

Hey btmi,

I had a similar problem when I was developing Keyboard Redirector. When I held down a key it would send the Keyboard Redirector program to 100% cpu usage which meant the application recieving the keystrokes couldn't process it's message queue fast enough and events queued up. Once the key was released it then processed all the keys still in the queue.

After a bit of profiling I discovered that most of the time was taken up in the code that gets the executable name from the window handle (Each time a key is pressed I test which application is in focus to know which action to perform). I added a cache (the executable for a window handle is never going to change) and suddenly things started working perfectly. I don't know if you're doing something similar, but I thought given I had seen the same problem I thought I'd let you know how I fixed it.

nate

--------------------

+Quote Post
btmi
post Dec 7 2009, 10:59 AM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

Nate,

I am sure you are right - it makes sense to cache this data...I will check it out.

Thank you!

Peter

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 02:35 AM