> Inconsistent Blasting with Hipsend, Sometimes it works, sometimes not
pcrosley
post Mar 24 2009, 04:47 AM
Post #1

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 11,873
Card: Nova DVB-t

I'm running HIP to control GBPVR (1.3.11) blasting my SKY (NZ) STB with the HCW MCE IR receiver.

I captured output from GBPVR showing it calls Hipsend with the correct channel number and Hipsend says everything was OK but the digits are not always captured by the STB

Example: Sky Sport is channel 30, but more often than not the 3 is not received and the STB goes to channel 0.

I modified GBPVR's config to call a bat I wrote to capture the channel and call Hipsend myself twice with a 5 second delay between the calls.

That helped sometimes so that the second call corrects the misread from try #1 (in other words if the channel went to 0 the second call may go correctly and reset back to 30) but sometimes the 2nd call to Hipsend fails!

How can I get better control over Hipsend to time the individual digits better?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 24 2009, 08:08 AM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

Weak IR signals can easily fail but there are a few things you can try:

1) IR Transmitter placement: You may need to experiment where is the best location for the IR transmitter remembering that we are talking about a form of light, and so any physical obstacles can reduce fuctionality. The original MCE transmitter was so weak, they had be to almost on top of the receiver on the unit.
2) IR Interference: Stray IR (most commonly from notebook computers, plasma screens and flurescent lights) can cause a lot of problems. Try shielding the receving unit from any external source of IR.
3) IR Repeats: There is an option in Hip (IR Send Repeat Count on the IR Output page) that will automatically repeat any IR sent which is a common scenario for handheld remotes and does not necessarly mean that you will get double digits. Try making this 2-4 to see what happens.

For testing I would see what works best by running Hip firstly in Test mode (which is an option in the IR Output edit screen) that loops the output so you can get the best placement. Then I would use HipSendW directly to check that everything else is working properly (playing with the Delay option to work out the best spacing of commands).

--------------------

+Quote Post
PBS
post Apr 14 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #3

Participant

Group: New Members
Member No.: 5,358
Card: None

i have mode an alternate hip sender using the tcp options and it works fantasticly well...
much faster than the regular hipsend and no 3rd digit delays...smile.gif
i've got it posted on gbpvr forums..not sure if i posted it here yet tho..
look for 'net2hipsend' and you should find it easily...
ah, here 'tis http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?t=41043
basically same setup just uses hip's web server to recieve cmds and i now use it with 0 delay for lightning fast channel changes..
[as fast as with real remote!]
give it a try and let me know if it works better for you...
oh and plus, it doesn't care what the rec service is logged in as, so you can blast while having net access for clients/pch/mvp..smile.gif
local link here:
http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?show...amp;#entry74407

+Quote Post
btmi
post May 2 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

Nice work!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 09:04 PM