Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WebScheduler Rocks!
Guest_Little John_*
post Aug 14 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #1

Guests

Hello,

I've gone to the effort of registering to this forum purely to congratulate the developer on a great piece of work.
So good I even paid for a copy (and how often does that happen wink.gif

I've tried half a dozen solutions up to this point and been consistently unhappy with their results/performance; to the point where I was seriously looking at the WDM API for myself to start filling the gap. Then I found webscheduler. Wow, couldn't have done it better myself!

Kudos for

1) do one thing: do it well

A major failing of all the rest was trying to do too much and not doing any of them particularly well. I had trouble getting Nero to capture over 14Gb and it couldn't background anyways. Mediaportal have lost the plot with 1.0 and even require a full database installation just to install?! PowerCinema forces an option of either writing to a proprietary codec or refusing to background. Most of them were self-glorifying everything-to-everyone mashed potatoes. I've had enough grief with most of their output formats to start looking for a pure stream output which doesn't try to 'help': I'll solve that problem separately thank you.

But, not one of these complaints with WebScheduler.

2) efficiency

All other contenders ran inefficiently enough to require tip-toe-ing around whilst a capture is in progress lest stuttering occurs in the capture. I can reprocess video at 95% CPU consumption and webscheduler hasn't stuttered once. I've found I can even play highly graphical system intensive games without interfering in the capture. Awesome.

3) features features features

It will take all the tuners you've got. And decide for itself which one to use. Cool. EPG integration is fantastic. Click on a program and its done. Short on disk space? no problem, where do you want it. MPEG is working. I'm still testing the bitrate feature. But, for the olympics, that has promise as 60Gb/day for 14 days is more than i have space for (should I order a terabyte drive just for olympics?!). The web interface is cute and presumably a killer feature for some scenarios. The system tray residency is sweet and unobtrusive.

I'm really quite impressed.

Is this an example of what a quality programmer can do when there is no marketing clown meddling with the work?
I see from an old thread that the source was opened at one point, but none of which is current now. What's the plan? any?
I'm curious about the development history...

How long since this project started?
How many devs have been involved?
Is this a labour of love or does it actually generate a liveable income for someone?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Aug 14 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #2

Web Scheduler Developer

Group: Developers
Member No.: 9
Card: None

Is this an example of what a quality programmer can do when there is no marketing clown meddling with the work?

probably, pick something and do it well is what the original idea was.

I see from an old thread that the source was opened at one point, but none of which is current now. What's the plan? any?

the source was open, it was closed and made a commercial product a while ago now. there are a few derivatives based on the last free Open Source version that use the source as a base.

I'm curious about the development history...

I started the project a long time ago when DVB-T in Australia was in it infancy, there where no good scheduling apps when the first TV cards hit the market in Aust so I wrote something that was easy to use and reliable with intelligent retry and notifications etc to record my TV shows to watch later.

How long since this project started?

a few years now.

How many devs have been involved?

On the commercial version DVB Web Scheduler Pro there is just one dev.

Is this a labour of love or does it actually generate a liveable income for someone?

I think very much the first one, while there have been a number of people that have purchased the commercial version it is still well short of paying for itself from a time spent point of view. This is not a big issue as I started the project because I needed this tool and was glad to make it available for others to use.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2018 - 12:32 AM