renura
post Apr 29 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #21

Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 38
Card: None

QUOTE (tre30 @ Apr 29 2007, 05:02 AM) *
Alot of good suggestions there (you have the modularisation right), I guess it comes down too - how far are we willing too go (in terms of extra functionality)?

Having previously been an analog capture card user myself I can understand your desire for its inclusion (encoding module) as well, 'one scheduler too rule them all' and such, and in reality atm Foxtel, Optus and other SatTV/cable users who cannot get access too the direct stream use analog cards too record, so it is a worthy inclusion (but you need a nice machine too do it in reality - old machines couldn't thats for sure).
Satellite TV support will be next http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?showtopic=7946

This post has been edited by renura: Apr 29 2007, 11:51 AM

--------------------
Renura Enterprises Pty Ltd - Owner of DigitalNow and MediaNow- Importers, Distributors and Retailers of Digital TV and other Digital Multimedia Solutions
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_dns_*
post Apr 30 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #22

Guests

Free TV Scheduler, digital TV scheduler, Open TV Scheduler seem to be the possible names, could someone do some research and see what names are taken, i would like to have the project registered this week if possible.

+Quote Post
vertigo
post May 1 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #23

Participant

Group: New Members
Member No.: 4,692

Free TV Scheduler, digital TV scheduler, Open TV Scheduler seem to be the possible names, could someone do some research and see what names are taken

all of them seem to be available. i like "Open TV Scheduler" best.

i will gladly help test the linux version smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_KenS_*
post May 2 2007, 05:21 AM
Post #24

Guests

QUOTE (vertigo @ May 1 2007, 10:22 AM) *
all of them seem to be available. i like "Open TV Scheduler" best.

i will gladly help test the linux version smile.gif

I like both Free TV Scheduler and Open TV Scheduler with a slight leaning towards Open.

I'm all for keeping the architecture modular and open including choice of capture engine. One of the places I can help is developing vlc as a capture engine. Satellite support is in the bda module but untested, analog is already supported. Both of these are in the linux version. I will probably need to develop a channel scanner to support OTS. I can also do a bit with Java and the c++ bits of OTS as required.
My preference for integrating the capture engine (and possibly other modules) would be to have a range of options e.g: API, command file, stdin/out and possibly http and telnet.

+Quote Post
uryan
post May 3 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #25

Forum Regular

Member No.: 4,853

Any comments on this new theme I'm developing for the open-source WS?

Attached File  OpenWS_Home.png ( 32K ) Number of downloads: 69

+Quote Post
Funkdafied
post May 3 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #26

Participant

Member No.: 3,246
Card: DVICO FusionHDTV

looks nice.

couple of comments if i may..
It could do with a bit of colour, and the logo is a bit plain.. but im guessing that may only be temporary as a name hasn't been finalised?

+Quote Post
Guest__jon__*
post May 3 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #27

Guests

QUOTE (uryan @ May 3 2007, 11:47 AM) *

I like the layout (nice and simple) and the icons. way too much navy blue there though smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_budge31_*
post May 3 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (uryan @ May 3 2007, 08:47 PM) *

Nice. I like it.

+Quote Post
Guest__jon__*
post May 4 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #29

Guests

Maybe something like this-

+Quote Post
Guest_dns_*
post May 4 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #30

Guests

I have submitted "Open TV Scheduler" for submission as a project on source forge. The submission has to be approved by soruceforge which might take 2 days.

+Quote Post
vertigo
post May 4 2007, 07:36 AM
Post #31

Participant

i like the layout but can't say i like the colours/icons. i think the colour should remain that nice blue in regular WS, or maybe a litle darker/with slight gradient. as for the icons, ideally we should borrow from the wonderful tango project i think http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Desktop_Project

I have submitted "Open TV Scheduler" for submission as a project on source forge

nice! smile.gif

+Quote Post
tre30
post May 4 2007, 09:24 AM
Post #32

Forum Regular

Member No.: 5,149
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

No white backgrounds for themes!!!, for one thing it will look pretty average on any tv external display, and another its just too glary too look at white things for extended periods of time, besides other colors just look better imho.

+Quote Post
uryan
post May 4 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #33

Forum Regular

Thanks for feedback...
The icons are the only part I've spent any time working on. The rest was just a 5 min photoshop job to give them some context, and a bit of direction for how the theme could develop.

Just spent a few minutes playing round a bit more.
Attached File  OpenWS_Home2.png ( 32.03K ) Number of downloads: 55

Tre30, maybe you have the contrast turned up too high...or stare at WS for far too long. (Is it that interesting?) Seriously though, I hadn't given too much thought to how it will look on a tv. I like the white on a computer though. Perhaps I could create a second similar theme for tvs.

And I think I'll name this Blue Steel tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_dns_*
post May 4 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #34

Guests

Ok the project is now up, at http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentvschedul/, I would love to have a project website using your theme when you have it finished, or atleast some screen shots. contact me with your source forge account and i'll add you to the project.

+Quote Post
Guest__jon__*
post May 4 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #35

Guests

QUOTE (uryan @ May 4 2007, 01:27 AM) *
Thanks for feedback...
The icons are the only part I've spent any time working on. The rest was just a 5 min photoshop job to give them some context, and a bit of direction for how the theme could develop.

Just spent a few minutes playing round a bit more.
Attached File  OpenWS_Home2.png ( 32.03K ) Number of downloads: 55

Tre30, maybe you have the contrast turned up too high...or stare at WS for far too long. (Is it that interesting?) Seriously though, I hadn't given too much thought to how it will look on a tv. I like the white on a computer though. Perhaps I could create a second similar theme for tvs.

And I think I'll name this Blue Steel tongue.gif

That colour scheme looks much better cool.gif

+Quote Post
uryan
post May 5 2007, 07:44 PM
Post #36

Forum Regular

QUOTE (dns @ May 4 2007, 05:19 PM) *
Ok the project is now up, at http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentvschedul/, I would love to have a project website using your theme when you have it finished, or atleast some screen shots. contact me with your source forge account and i'll add you to the project.

My sourceforge account name is uryan.

+Quote Post
vertigo
post May 12 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #37

Participant

is there anywhere we can keep track of progress? smile.gif

+Quote Post
drdos7
post May 13 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #38

Forum Regular

Member No.: 642
Card: Compro VideoMate DVB-T300

Hi,

Happy to hear that open source version of ws is.

Will there be a seperate sub-forum from WebScheduler/WebScheduler Development?

I am adding a request for change here as well: please remove the "Security ID" requirement, or at least make it an option (please).

Good luck,

dRdoS7.

PS Interface looks OK. Be able to use it with a remote?

+Quote Post
uryan
post May 13 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #39

Forum Regular

QUOTE (drdos7 @ May 13 2007, 05:09 PM) *
Will there be a seperate sub-forum from WebScheduler/WebScheduler Development?

You can put in a request to Rob S who seems to be the owner of these forums. ATM We have this thread, and I guess you can also use the forums at sourceforge.

I am adding a request for change here as well: please remove the "Security ID" requirement, or at least make it an option (please).

Firstly, we need to sort a few things out on the organisation side and also put in some sort of roadmap before taking requests for changes like this, otherwise the program will end up a complex, hodgepode, mess.

Secondly, is it that bad having to type in a few numbers? (If yes then please explain why as it may help find a suitable replacement.) The reason the security ID was put in place was to stop an exploit that allowed a remote webpage to run arbitrary commands on your computer. Basically, by visiting a specially crafted website, it could take control of your computer. I actually had a proof-of-concept page that only took a few minutes to put together and could do basically what it wanted to your computer. Null_pointer put a lot of work into balancing the security and ease of use of the thing and it would be a shame to throw that away for no reason.

PS Interface looks OK. Be able to use it with a remote?

ATM, accessibility will be exactly the same as WebScheduler. Basically, Null has stated that due to licensing issues we will need to use different icons. Along with the name change, it made sense to redesign the look of the interface a bit. It is only a surface change. So, if you needed to use the keyboard interface previously then you probably still will.
On a side note, I am quite busy atm, and do not have much time to work on this. If someone wants to take over creating the new theme I can send you what I have got, otherwise it may take a while.

+Quote Post
black_dog
post May 13 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #40

Forum Regular

Member No.: 3,277
Card: DVICO FusionHDTV

QUOTE (uryan @ May 13 2007, 06:33 PM) *
You can put in a request to Rob S who seems to be the owner of these forums. ATM We have this thread, and I guess you can also use the forums at sourceforge.
Firstly, we need to sort a few things out on the organisation side and also put in some sort of roadmap before taking requests for changes like this, otherwise the program will end up a complex, hodgepode, mess.

Too many chefs and not enough endians? maybe not...

Secondly, is it that bad having to type in a few numbers? (If yes then please explain why as it may help find a suitable replacement.) The reason the security ID was put in place was to stop an exploit that allowed a remote webpage to run arbitrary commands on your computer. Basically, by visiting a specially crafted website, it could take control of your computer. I actually had a proof-of-concept page that only took a few minutes to put together and could do basically what it wanted to your computer. Null_pointer put a lot of work into balancing the security and ease of use of the thing and it would be a shame to throw that away for no reason.

On this point, the "security" is weak and confusing at best.

1) The program restricts "dangerous' activities such as creating and editing tasks to "127.0.0.1" only.. Even using the hostname
address of the local machine doesn't work... It doesn't request a security ID anyway...
2) The program allows *anyone* to edit system settings, as long as they type in the security ID.
3) An application could easily OCR the "security id", as it is plain, unobscured text. On this point, webscheduler
does not apply any denial mechanism of when too many incorrect (or missing) guesses are made.
4) TASKS can be executed against recordings without needing a security ID, and pretty much any kind of
recording and scheduling task can be performed without security ID. Denial of Service through filling
someone's scheduler table is still quite easy..

Now, while I would prefer security over "security" any day, its necessary to build security at a lower level.

Build in the concept of a GUEST user, ie, the default user, and accept a 'login' to access 'system' pages.
Let the owner decide what tasks a GUEST can perform, and allow users to be created with appropriate
permissions. I'm happy for my kids to schedule tv shows, and even select tasks to run against their shows
but the 'system' icons should not even be visible to them.

In fact, I would prefer it if only the 'owner' or 'administrator' could see all schedules, and who created them.
Individuals should only see their own schedules, and if possible, have private recording folders.. If two users
wanted the same recording, well the software can already stream recordings to multiple locations, this is a
minor extension on this. (assuming different users are recording to different directories..)

On the security by location front, create IP/Subnet based ACLs. I would accept LOGINs from IP addresses in the
'acceptable' ACL, but only allow GUEST or NO access from other ip addresses. Personally, my laptop can VPN
into my local network and perform scheduling tasks.. but to make task changes, I have to remote-desktop
into the machine running the webscheduler. I don't really want to have to do that. It messes with the HTPC.

There is alot we can do with and about real security, the 'security id' feature is nothing but a PITA.

Cheers.
Blacky

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2018 - 06:34 AM