simonjp
post Oct 8 2008, 09:22 AM
Post #1

Participant

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,142
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

Hello!

In the Wikipedia article about Freeview+ (UK) (accredited DVB-T PVR device) there is a list of minimum standards that would have to be achieved before a PVR could be labelled as a Freeview+ box. These are:

• At least 8 Day Electronic Programme Guide (EPG)
  • Series Link (one timer to record whole series)
  • Record split programmes as one programme
  • Offer to record related programme
  • Record alternative showing if there is a time conflict
  • Schedule changes updated in standby (e.g. scheduled recording starting early)
  • Accurate recording (equivalent to PDC - programmes are recorded based on signals from the broadcaster rather than scheduled time)

It then says that the technical specs for this standard can be found in a document called DTG Functional Specification for Digital TV Recorders v1.0 (Schedule 4). This Google Cache is the only place I can find the file that the wikipedia article refers to.

Now I know this is likely to be a tall order, but how far off is WS from this standard? Are any of these capabilities easily implemented, or are they all silly-hard?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Oct 8 2008, 01:24 PM
Post #2

Web Scheduler Developer

Group: Developers
Member No.: 9
Card: None

The main problem is EPG data source, this sort of functionality would require a lot of good relevant and correct info to be in the EPG data source. Without a good data source it would be very hard to do what is in the spec.

Unfortunately with the current data sources that are available there is not enough information to do all of the above.

There is also the problem of "Schedule changes updated in standby (e.g. scheduled recording starting early)" I can not see a way of doing this unless the PC can wake up to reget the EPG data reschedule and then go back to sleep, I can not see a way for a PC to do this any other way.

One way this could all be fixed is that last point "Accurate recording (equivalent to PDC - programmes are recorded based on signals from the broadcaster rather than scheduled time)" this would allow a TV station to tell a recording device to start and stop the recording, it could even tell the DVR when the adds are on so the device could automatically cut them out for you :-) but we all know that the likelihood of this happening is very very very low.

+Quote Post
Guest__jon__*
post Oct 9 2008, 05:26 AM
Post #3

Guests

edit:

I was going to say

I didn't think freeview broadcast PDC. I know some VCR's use it for when recording analogue TV.

It would be a really good if they did implement it for freeview though.

but then I read the original post properly smile.gif

+Quote Post
simonjp
post Oct 9 2008, 07:48 AM
Post #4

Participant

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,142
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

So how do freeview+ boxes meet these requirements? Do they pull up the EPG data every few minutes, even when off?

I can see what you mean about the problem with fulfilling the 'shifting goalpost' part of the problem - I don't really see a solution for incorporating that within WS.

How would the rest of it work? Does it use some sort of social networking, TiVo style, or is there data within the EPG that says that those who enjoy Lost might like Heroes?

Personally, the holy grail for me is to replicate the 'series link' function of sky+ et al - the ability to set and forget, knowing that the whole series will be recorded, not just the one episode nor every single one transmitted.

I currently use the Radio Times' XMLTV EPG data (try saying that three times fast) but I could try using that 'over the air' tool to get a sample of the transmitted EPG if it would be of interest?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2018 - 06:31 AM