> MCE Remote problems after XBOX gamepad install
Phillip Austin
post Sep 29 2010, 08:40 AM
Post #1

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 13,767
Card: None

I had been using the MCE receiver/transmitter successfullly for many years with Girder and the replacement driver. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Toshiba Regza LCD TV and was unable to send commands to it. I tried all the newer versions of the replacement driver as well as the MS driver with the registry changes with no success. I switched to the IR Server Suite and was able to control the TV but lost the ability to send some of the commands, most noteably vol- to my older sony receiver. Finding that IRSS is not being supported well, I installed HIP and after some arduous reprogramming I got everything working perfectly. This lasted a week or so and then I installed the XBOX 360 wireless USB adapter, played some Halo, and found I had lost the ability to control the TV. The receiver still works fine. Same result regardless of which blaster port or emitter I use.

So far I have tried removing the XBOX controller and associated software, and uninstalled/reinstalled the MCE receiver/transmitter trying the MS driver and each version/flavor of the replacement driver I could find with no change.

I believe the TV uses NEC encoding and the Receiver uses RC5.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
btmi
post Sep 29 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

I personally cannot help you. Using the MCE device seems to be the source of a lot of problems.

Can you control ANYTHING with the MCE box? The emitters are extremely low power and it is necessary to put them as close as possible to the receivers on the device you want to control.

Other than that the only real solution is to get a device that is built for the purpose like IRTrans or Tira.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phillip Austin
post Oct 1 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #3

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 13,767
Card: None

QUOTE (btmi @ Sep 29 2010, 02:40 AM) *
I personally cannot help you. Using the MCE device seems to be the source of a lot of problems.

Can you control ANYTHING with the MCE box? The emitters are extremely low power and it is necessary to put them as close as possible to the receivers on the device you want to control.

Other than that the only real solution is to get a device that is built for the purpose like IRTrans or Tira.

I am still able to control the receiver. I am pretty sure that some component of the driver got reset when I installed the Xbox dongle and put me back to the original problem where I could not send NEC encoded commands. I'm not exactly sure what combination of drivers I stumbled across that had it working. I think that one of the versions from Aaron fixed the NEC issue but was after he removed the Girder code. I had it working perfectly with a combination of HIP and Girder. At this point I have wiped the box and am half way through reinstalling everything.

It looks like the latest install of HIP is installing the necessary drivers for the MCE tranceiver. Do I still need (or do you reccomend) a particular version of the replacement driver or should I use the MS driver with the registry hack?

If I end up getting an new IR tranceiver, which one would you reccomend that is reasonably priced and supports a wide range of devices/encoding?

Thanks

+Quote Post
btmi
post Oct 1 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

There are all sorts of problems with Win7 and the latest version of the MCE drivers for Hip, and so I would try to use whatever the OS decides to install by default before trying anything else.

As far as dedicated devices are concerned, none of them real cheap (although they have dropped in price quite a lot since I started this).

In order of quality:

IRTrans: http://www.irtrans.com/en/index.php (99 Euros for the USB Version)
USB-UIRT http://www.usbuirt.com (USD50 for the standard version)
Tira 2.2 http://www.home-electro.com (USD49 for the standard version) *Apparently the Tira Plugin I have written does not work with HIP and I do not have a recent version to test.

The IR Trans is particularly cool because it runs as a web server and so theoretically you could control any device from anywhere. All of these though will be able to control all sort of devices effortlessly.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 11:15 PM