stevebow
post Jan 15 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #1

Participant

Group: New Members
Member No.: 6,720
Card: None

Hi,

Just more of a curiosity really as DW is working fine under Vista. When I press Enter to watch TV the Vista Colour Scheme is switched to Basic but returns to normal when I quit DW. Is there any reason why Vista does this with DW?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nate
post Jan 16 2008, 07:29 AM
Post #2

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 169
Card: DNTV Quad

This happens because DW uses the overlay mixer, and Vista doesn't support the overlay mixer in Aero mode. To stop it switching the VMR9 renderer needs to be used, but the OSD code in DW was designed to be used with the overlay mixer and it's not easy to modify it to work nicely with the VMR9. That's why I've started work on DW3.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevebow
post Jan 17 2008, 08:46 AM
Post #3

Participant

Using the Cyberlink7 VMR9 filter is a bit of a mess here. The brown/green box behind the DW texts don't render so menu selection is not visible. The video is offest to the right and down in both windowed and full-screen (the x/y offset varies each time), video is not full-screen sized when in full-screen mode, zoom does not work at all, there is a Vista window border on the RHS visible when in FS mode, the task bar is still present when in FS mode.

Which is why I use the overlay mixer filter. MS do say use of an VMR9 filter is preferred at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/m...455(VS.85).aspx , but I thought actually VMR9 was more CPU intensive. Which it is slightly. According to the Vista CPU gadgat, avereages around 12% in overlay mixer, around 20% in VMR9, so I have plenty of headroom here. Using a 2.6GHz E6750.

That's why I've started work on DW3.

Wow, that is great news!

Are you taking feature requests BTW? wink.gif One thing I think DW sorely lacks is the ability to grab a single frame and save it. PNG format would be nice. smile.gif Oh, and having to reach for the keyboard to press Enter each time DW is started is a little inconvenient. Can I suggest maybe 99% of DW usage is watching TV so perhaps it should go immediately into Watch TV mode when started? Also, I can never remember which key to bring up the menus (the obscure "K" isn't it?). Is the ESC key used for anything? To me that would be a logical choice. I know key mapping can be edited, but perhaps ESC would be the better key by default?

In any case, glad to see development on DW continues. It is an excellent no-frills tuner program, much better than much of the bundled rubbish you see.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
bear
post Jan 17 2008, 02:46 PM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 808
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

stevebow,
Oh, and having to reach for the keyboard to press Enter each time DW is started is a little inconvenient. Can I suggest maybe 99% of DW usage is watching TV so perhaps it should go immediately into Watch TV mode when started?
Use a shortcut and add the command paramaters eg. "C:\Program Files\DigitalWatch\DigitalWatchII\DigitalWatch.exe" "tv://" or "ts://" for timeshifting.

Also, I can never remember which key to bring up the menus (the obscure "K" isn't it?)
"F1" & "F2". "esc" is used for back tracking in the menus.

DW3! can't wait either. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
stevebow
post Jan 17 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #5

Participant

QUOTE (bear @ Jan 17 2008, 02:46 PM) *
Use a shortcut and add the command paramaters eg. "C:\Program Files\DigitalWatch\DigitalWatchII\DigitalWatch.exe" "tv://" or "ts://" for timeshifting.

Thanks, that did the trick nicely. I can't seem to find that documented anywhere though...

+Quote Post
vadimz
post Jan 18 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #6

Participant

Member No.: 238

I suspect the answer is NO, but... sad.gif

I will ask the question anyway.

Any time estimates for alpha / beta / preview / prototype / screen mockups of DW3 ? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
nate
post Jan 18 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #7

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

QUOTE (vadimz @ Jan 18 2008, 02:05 PM) *
Any time estimates for alpha / beta / preview / prototype / screen mockups of DW3 ? unsure.gif

Well I can give you a screenshot right now.

Attached File  DW3.png ( 119.87K ) Number of downloads: 20

Unfortunately the only menu item that actually does anything at the moment is Exit, but it's a start.

As for time estimates, who knows. I'd love to be able to work on it for the next three weeks straight and get it done. Unfortunately I live in the real world and more important things crop up.

edit: Forgot to mention. The blank area on the right in the screenshot is reseved for displaying the video (if you go to the main menu from watching tv then the video keeps going).

--------------------

+Quote Post
vadimz
post Feb 4 2008, 09:56 AM
Post #8

Participant

QUOTE (nate @ Jan 18 2008, 06:20 PM) *
edit: Forgot to mention. The blank area on the right in the screenshot is reseved for displaying the video (if you go to the main menu from watching tv then the video keeps going).

thanks Nate

This looks great rolleyes.gif

Will there be a PiP option?

+Quote Post
nate
post Feb 4 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #9

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

QUOTE (vadimz @ Feb 4 2008, 10:56 AM) *
Will there be a PiP option?

Yes, I've already got that kind of working. Haven't quite figured out what functions are needed to have the best control of it yet, but the basics are there.

Attached File  DW3_2.jpg ( 289.65K ) Number of downloads: 16

--------------------

+Quote Post
vadimz
post Feb 5 2008, 09:23 AM
Post #10

Participant

Wow ohmy.gif rolleyes.gif

Is the list on right a list of all available/scanned channels which is refreshed every 2-3 seconds one after another? And the biggier one on the left is one currently selected?
rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by vadimz: Feb 5 2008, 09:24 AM

+Quote Post
nate
post Feb 5 2008, 10:41 AM
Post #11

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

QUOTE (vadimz @ Feb 5 2008, 10:23 AM) *
Is the list on right a list of all available/scanned channels which is refreshed every 2-3 seconds one after another? And the biggier one on the left is one currently selected?
No. All four pictures are full motion video. At the moment they're just playback of files from the hard disk because I haven't implemented tv yet, but eventually a picture could be either a tv channel, a video file, or mp3s.

It's still in development so there will be some changes to what you see in the screenshot. The way I see it working is something like this
- Let's say you start out watching a tv channel (Channel A)
- Hitting the Add Picture button adds a new picture. The tv channel you're watching gets moved to the top right corner and the main view shows the main menu.
- You select watch tv from the main menu. You choose a channel to watch (Channel B). Now you're watching Channel B in the main view and Channel A is in the top right corner.
- Hitting the Next Picture button cycles the pictures. eg. Channel A and Channel B switch places.
- If you hit the Add Picture button again the picture in the main view moves to the right hand side beneath the picture already in the top right corner. The main view shows the main menu.
- You select Recordings from the main menu and start watching a file from the hard disk (File A).
- Hitting the Next Picture button cycles the pictures. eg. Channel A moves to the main view, Channel B moves to the top right corner, and File A is beneath it.
- Hitting the Close Picture button closes the picture in the main view and the picture from the top right becomes the new main view picture.

I would probably make it so that hitting Next Picture when there's only 1 picture adds a picture. Then you could operate simple 2 picture PIP from a remote with just two buttons. One assigned to Next Picture and one assigned to Close Picture.

The ability to preview all available channels is probably not something I'd make part of the PIP system. I'd probably be more inclined to include that as part of a Now & Next display which shows the now and next information for each channel along with thumbnails of what's currently on. That's a fair way off though. Not sure I'd even use it much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vadimz
post Feb 5 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #12

Participant

I can see that Add Picture is a button. What about Next Picture and Close Picture, are they buttons or keys?

Just a general comment / question... ohmy.gif

DigitalWatch1 behaved a lot like a SettopBox no GUI just keystrokes and I loved its simlicity and responsevness. I just call the executable from Meedio which is used as menu interface.

DigitalWatch2 has GUI and is more complicated with sometimes confusing menus. I was unable to properly intergate it into Meedio.

With DW3 GUI/menu how extensive are you thinking of making it? Skins? Plugins? tongue.gif

Is it still C++ / Open Source?

+Quote Post
nate
post Feb 5 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #13

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

QUOTE (vadimz @ Feb 5 2008, 03:33 PM) *
I can see that Add Picture is a button. What about Next Picture and Close Picture, are they buttons or keys?
The Add Picture button that you can see will go. The Add, Next, and Close Picture buttons i refered to in my last post are keys. I may also make them available in a right click menu when I get around to implementing mouse control.

With DW3 GUI/menu how extensive are you thinking of making it? Skins? Plugins? tongue.gif
My aim is to come up with a menu system that will allow me to use DW3 to watch tv, play files from the hard disk, and play music all from within DW3, and everything will be controllable from the keyboard (or in my htpc's case a remote mapped to keys).

Skinning will be less configurable than in DW2. You'll be able to change the images that are used, but not be able to move or rearrange screen elements. I'm trying to keep the GUI as lightweight and economical as possible to avoid poor performace, like in mediaportal.
I don't have any plans for plugins at the moment.

I have not really thought much about integration with other applications such as meedio. What specifically would you need? Is the ability to specify a file, or a channel to start watching on the command line enough?

Is it still C++ / Open Source?
Open Source, yes. C++, no. I've changed to .NET and I'm using C#.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vadimz
post Feb 6 2008, 10:16 AM
Post #14

Participant

Ok it all sounds good, can't wait for the beta wink.gif

QUOTE (nate @ Feb 5 2008, 04:22 PM) *
I've changed to .NET and I'm using C#.

I hope using C# wouldn't make it as slow as MediaPortal to start up and operate. sad.gif
Btw are you using DirectShow.NET?

+Quote Post
nate
post Feb 6 2008, 12:43 PM
Post #15

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

QUOTE (vadimz @ Feb 6 2008, 11:16 AM) *
I hope using C# wouldn't make it as slow as MediaPortal to start up and operate. sad.gif
No chance. It's nice and quick.

Btw are you using DirectShow.NET?
Yes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevebow
post Feb 7 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #16

Participant

Wow, DW3 is looking nice already!

As this has gone OT to this thread, may I suggest you start a new DW3 topic and perhaps move the above from post #6 there? This is all very interesting info for users on new DW developments and no-one is likely to find it buried in a Vista mode switching topic.

Can't wait for the beta! smile.gif

+Quote Post
ajhubble
post Mar 23 2010, 01:12 AM
Post #17

Forum Regular

Member No.: 2,689
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

QUOTE (stevebow @ Jan 17 2008, 08:46 AM) *
there is a Vista window border on the RHS visible when in FS mode

This was really bugging me. For some reason in Win7 64bit (but not in Vista 32bit for some reason), I was getting the edge of the light-grey window border showing on the right and bottom edges of my TV in fullscreen mode - which is a very jarring effect (it should be black or covered completely by the video). In other words, it wasn't completely full screen and changing to windowed mode and trying to cover entire screen didn't work either (the window would automatically resize and still display the light grey border).

I fixed this by installing Autokey and running a macro that automatically watches for the DigtalWatch window and getting rid of the border style, which makes it fully fullscreen. The only problem is switching back to windowed mode, the border is still gone and the window can't be resized, but I have a hotkey macro that toggles between the resizing border window style and without.

BTW, DigitalWatch 3 seems dead in the water. Will this project be revisited at some point?
I use DigitalWatch because:
1. It plays TS files very nicely, including those with an AC3 soundtrack (with AC3Filter) which Win7 Media Centre can't do (for some weird reason);
2. The simple keyboard navigation makes it really easy to watch through shows and skip the ads (e.g. skip 60, skip 60, skip 60, back 15, forward 30, back 5, gotcha - no fiddling around with a scroll bar like many other players).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2018 - 06:50 AM