IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DNTV Scheduler Pro Poor mp4 Record Quality, DNTV Scheduler Pro Poor mp4 Record Quality
CRAIG.HAN
post Aug 19 2014, 10:26 PM
Post #1

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 15,651
Card: None

Hi,

System specs below.

In the past I have used scheduled pro 2 to record free to air to .ts mux.

The quality of these recordings are great, but they are very large. I have been using mcebuddy to then convert the large .ts file to a lower quality .mp4 file. This reduces the file size significantly and the quality is still good. The only downside to this process is the timing consumed to do the conversions etc especially if I record several items in an evening.

I then changed the settings in scheduler pro 2 to record h264 and mp4 on the fly as this would be advantageous because if the benefits these formats yield. However the recordings were nice and small but the quality was not the best. It appeared as though the bitrate was not high enough and the appearance was a little fuzzy, a quality I could not live with on a daily basis!

The dvb-t card I use is dntv dual hybrid 7164 pcie. Just wondering if there was any config setting in scheduler pro 2 to tweak the quality of the recordings for these formats or any other advice that could be offered?

Cheers

Craig

Specs:

Latest DNTV Scheduler Pro version
Dual Core Intel 3 GHz CPU
1GB Raedon Graphics Card
DNTV dual hybrid 7164 pcie
120GB ssd hdd
16GB memory
Win7 x64 Pro
Only encoders that came with software are used
System is only used as Media Center.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
paul_ahb
post Aug 22 2014, 06:27 PM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,030

The TS data is the data as streamed.

If you are going to convert the data to another format to reduce the size then there will be quality loss. If you cannot make any quality concessions then you won't want to compress at all. You might have to buy a large HDD.

I personally compress using ffmpeg for compressions speed and size. It is all configurable on the command line. But I don't want to recommend it to you because I can see slight reduced quality.

Paul

+Quote Post
CRAIG.HAN
post Aug 22 2014, 08:22 PM
Post #3

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 15,651

QUOTE (paul_ahb @ Aug 22 2014, 06:27 PM) *
The TS data is the data as streamed.

If you are going to convert the data to another format to reduce the size then there will be quality loss. If you cannot make any quality concessions then you won't want to compress at all. You might have to buy a large HDD.

I personally compress using ffmpeg for compressions speed and size. It is all configurable on the command line. But I don't want to recommend it to you because I can see slight reduced quality.

Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul. I was using ffmpeg with mcebuddy to compress and the quality was ok (obviously not as good as ts file) but it certainly was watchable. However the conversion process was taking a long time for my recordings. Just thought it would be good if I could do hardware encoding on the fly with similar quality results. But in this case my ffmpeg .mp4 output from ts file conversion is the same size as the scheduler pro .mp4 output, but the quality between the two is miles apart.

I might just continue with ffmpeg and mcebuddy. Would you be kind enough to provide me a sample of your command line parameters for me to try. You may be possibly tweaking your better than mine.

Cheers

Craig

+Quote Post
paul_ahb
post Aug 23 2014, 03:52 PM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,030

Sure. It is 2 pass encoding. Watch out for this code though. It is a batch file that Expects a log file as the 1st parameter and the actual file to process as the second parameter.

Let me know if you need help understanding what is going on and I'll simplify it for you.

As for your speed problem, have you thought of using the post capture tasks to run your compression routines so that it all happen automatically in TV Scheduler pro. That way you don't have to manually choose to compress files and wait for them to finish.

Paul

CODE
"C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -i %2 -vtag DIVX -f avi -vcodec mpeg4 -aspect 16:9 -s 720x405 -b:v 1000000 -acodec mp3 -ab 128000 -ar 48000 -ac 2 -pass 1 "%~dp2zztemp%~n2.avi"

"C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -i %2 -vtag DIVX -f avi -vcodec mpeg4 -aspect 16:9 -s 720x405 -b:v 1000000 -acodec mp3 -ab 128000 -ar 48000 -ac 2 -pass 2 "%~dpn2.avi"

del "%~dp2zztemp%~n2.avi"

echo %~dpn2.avi>>%1

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2019 - 07:17 PM