IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using the Replacement MCE Remote Driver (by Bruno FLEURETTE) with the Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit (and possibly other supposedly unsupported remotes)
t0xin
post Apr 15 2008, 04:44 AM
Post #1

Participant

Group: New Members
Member No.: 9,916
Card: None

As you may or may not know, Hauppauge is selling a standalone MCE Remote kit that includes an MCE remote control, a USB IR receiver and an IR blaster. See http://www.hauppauge.com.sg/web-content/pa...s_mce_vars.html (at the bottom of the page). This remote is recognized as a "eHome Infrared Transceiver" by windows XP (non MCE) but alas, the driver referred to by the FAQ, namely http://burningzeroad.free.fr/MceIrApi.rar, cannot be used as the driver. At least, not without some alteration. It is my belief that other MCE remotes (that may not necessarily show as "eHome Infrared Transceiver") could be used as well.

All you have to do in order to use the replacement driver with said remote (and possibly others) is the following:

DISCLAIMER: You're going to be messing with drivers, potentially ruining your computer, so do this at your own risk

Option 1 - Python Script (You need to have python installed)
1. Download attached file (mcefix.zip) and extract to some empty folder
2. In the command line, go to that directory and type python mcefix.py X where X is how the remote shows in your device manager (use quotation marks if the description contains spaces). If no parameter is given, "eHome Infrared Transceiver" is assumed.
3. A file named mceir.inf will be created in that directory. Copy it over the one in the driver directory.

Note: the script uses (and includes) USBDeview so if that creates a copyright problem tell me and I'll remove it from the archive, in which case it would have to be downloaded separately

Option 2 - Manual
1. In the device manager, right click "eHome Infrared Transceiver" (or whatever the device shows as on your system)-> Properties
2. Go to the "Details" tab
3. Choose "Hardware IDs" In the drop down list
4. The bottom list should now show something like this:
CODE
USB\Vid_1784&Pid_0001&Rev_0000
USB\Vid_1784&Pid_0001

(This is what I see with my remote, but with other models it might vary)
copy the line that looks like USB\Vid_1784&Pid_0001 in your case (you can simply select it on the list and press Ctrl+C)
5. Go to where you extracted the replacement driver and open mceir.inf with notepad (or any other text editor)
6. Find the [Microsoft] section
7. In the end of that section (i.e. after the line %USB\VID_0471&PID_0815.DeviceDesc%=MCEIR.Dev, USB\VID_1460&PID_9150) add the following line: %USB\VID_0471&PID_0815.DeviceDesc%=MCEIR.Dev, X, where X is the line you copied in step 4. So for example in my case, I would add %USB\VID_0471&PID_0815.DeviceDesc%=MCEIR.Dev, USB\Vid_1784&Pid_0001
8. Find the [Strings] section
9. Change USB\VID_0471&PID_0815.DeviceDesc="MCE Infrared Remote Control" to USB\VID_0471&PID_0815.DeviceDesc="X" where X is the name of your device, as it appears in the device manager. So for example, in my case the line would be USB\VID_0471&PID_0815.DeviceDesc="eHome Infrared Transceiver"
10. Change MCE.SvcDesc="MCE Infrared Remote Control" similarly
11. Save the file

You can now (hopefully) use the driver with your remote and proceed as per the FAQ

I hope it helps some people (maybe the admins can contact this guy and tell him about it, because he won't be showing up in the forum judging from his stats), It's the least I could do to show my appreciation to this great program (really, superb job btmi)

Cheers

Edit: I forgot to mention, I got all the info regarding inf files from this great site: http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/install/create-inf_4l47.htm so kudos go to them
Edit 2: removed comment regarding steps 8-10, as they appear to be necessary after all - thanks Dahakk
Edit 3: Rapidshare link for the script: mcefix.zip
Edit 4: New Rapidhsare link: mcefix.zip
Attached File(s)
Attached File  mcefix.zip ( 49.6K ) Number of downloads: 166

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
btmi
post Apr 15 2008, 10:21 AM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know about this.

I will update the FAQ to point to this post.

--------------------

+Quote Post
t0xin
post Apr 15 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #3

Participant

No problem at all, you and this community deserve it
As a former uIce user I can definitely say- HIP rocks

+Quote Post
dbbd
post Apr 15 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #4

Participant

Member No.: 9,666

I want to join the thank you.
I wish you posted that before I went and bought a USBUIRT rolleyes.gif

Also, if someone could automate/script the procedure, it would be great.

Dan

+Quote Post
t0xin
post Apr 16 2008, 05:29 AM
Post #5

Participant

I wrote a Python script that automates the procedure
Please don't laugh at my code, I'm a C++ programmer so I was pretty much guessing half of what I was doing smile.gif
It should work (works on my system at least), so let me know if there are any problems with it

+Quote Post
dbbd
post Apr 16 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #6

Participant

Member No.: 9,666

This is great!
I'd never laugh at code that works, especially when I couldn't have written it.

Dan

+Quote Post
Guest_Dahakk_*
post Oct 14 2008, 03:14 AM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (t0xin @ Apr 14 2008, 11:44 AM) *
9. Change USB\VID_0471&PID_0815.DeviceDesc="MCE Infrared Remote Control" to USB\VID_0471&PID_0815.DeviceDesc="X" where X is the name of your device, as it appears in the device manager. So for example, in my case the line would be USB\VID_0471&PID_0815.DeviceDesc="eHome Infrared Transceiver"
11. Save the file

(note: steps 8-10 are probably redundant, but I followed them just in case)

I tried this and found that doing it this way steps 8-10 really did matter. In fact they were all I had to do because My device was already listed in the driver. Somehow it didn't recognize the actual remote without doing this though...(I think because it installs drivers for both and it didn't know to install half of it without the correct name. I named it exactly as my origional was named "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver") Later I found out that you don't even need to replace the driver or modify it is long as you delete a few things in the registry...

(Make sure you export these keys so you can put them back if you mess it up!)

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\hidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
and
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\hidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57dc

Delete CodeSetNum 0 - 3 in both keys and It seems to work... It disables media center and keyboard handling of the remote so that hip can work... Hope this helps someone.... All I know is that it worked for me.

Tested this on Vista Home Premium, Media Center 2005, and XP with an RC6 remote. All worked.

+Quote Post
Guest_giskard314_*
post Dec 4 2008, 09:43 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (t0xin @ Apr 14 2008, 01:44 PM) *

This sounds like an awesome fix, and I can't wait to try it, but when I tried to download the mcefix.zip file, I got a "some required files are missing" error message... sad.gif

+Quote Post
t0xin
post Dec 7 2008, 04:13 AM
Post #9

Participant

Admins - I can't seem to upload it, it says: "Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to ensure the uploads directory is available"

I uploaded it to rapidshare, check original message

+Quote Post
Guest_denfrosnesko_*
post Dec 16 2008, 05:58 AM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (t0xin @ Apr 15 2008, 05:44 AM) *
As you may or may not know, Hauppauge is selling a standalone MCE Remote kit that includes an MCE remote control, a USB IR receiver and an IR blaster. See http://www.hauppauge.com.sg/web-content/pa...s_mce_vars.html (at the bottom of the page). This remote is recognized as a "eHome Infrared Transceiver" by windows XP (non MCE) but alas, the driver referred to by the FAQ, namely http://burningzeroad.free.fr/MceIrApi.rar, cannot be used as the driver. At least, not without some alteration. It is my belief that other MCE remotes (that may not necessarily show as "eHome Infrared Transceiver") could be used as well.

All you have to do in order to use the replacement driver with said remote (and possibly others) is the following:

DISCLAIMER: You're going to be messing with drivers, potentially ruining your computer, so do this at your own risk

2. In the command line, go to that directory and type python mcefix.py X where X is how the remote shows in your device manager (use quotation marks if the description contains spaces). If no parameter is given, "eHome Infrared Transceiver" is assumed.
3. A file named mceir.inf will be created in that directory. Copy it over the one in the driver directory.

Note: the script uses (and includes) USBDeview so if that creates a copyright problem tell me and I'll remove it from the archive, in which case it would have to be downloaded separately

Option 2 - Manual
1. In the device manager, right click "eHome Infrared Transceiver" (or whatever the device shows as on your system)-> Properties
CODE
USB\Vid_1784&Pid_0001

copy the line that looks like USB\Vid_1784&Pid_0001 in your case (you can simply select it on the list and press Ctrl+C)
5. Go to where you extracted the replacement driver and open mceir.inf with notepad (or any other text editor)
7. In the end of that section (i.e. after the line %USB\VID_0471&PID_0815.DeviceDesc%=MCEIR.Dev, USB\VID_1460&PID_9150) add the following line: %USB\VID_0471&PID_0815.DeviceDesc%=MCEIR.Dev, X, where X is the line you copied in step 4. So for example in my case, I would add %USB\VID_0471&PID_0815.DeviceDesc%=MCEIR.Dev, USB\Vid_1784&Pid_0001
11. Save the file

You can now (hopefully) use the driver with your remote and proceed as per the FAQ

I hope it helps some people (maybe the admins can contact this guy and tell him about it, because he won't be showing up in the forum judging from his stats), It's the least I could do to show my appreciation to this great program (really, superb job btmi)

Cheers

Edit: I forgot to mention, I got all the info regarding inf files from this great site: http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/install/create-inf_4l47.htm so kudos go to them
Edit 2: removed comment regarding steps 8-10, as they appear to be necessary after all - thanks Dahakk
Edit 3: Rapidshare link for the script: http://rapidshare.com/files/170876430/mcefix.zip.html

Hi,

I am new here and it seems like your fix could work for my problem. Is it possible for you to upload the file again?

Thanks,
Martin

+Quote Post
t0xin
post Dec 16 2008, 06:35 AM
Post #11

Participant

QUOTE (denfrosnesko @ Dec 15 2008, 10:58 PM) *
Hi,

I am new here and it seems like your fix could work for my problem. Is it possible for you to upload the file again?

Thanks,
Martin

I uploaded it again, the link is updated
If anyone has permanent webspace to which he can upload it, I would really appreciate it

Admins - I still can't upload the file to the forums !

+Quote Post
Guest_freshjewbagel_*
post Dec 17 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (t0xin @ Dec 15 2008, 03:35 PM) *
I uploaded it again, the link is updated
If anyone has permanent webspace to which he can upload it, I would really appreciate it

Admins - I still can't upload the file to the forums !

can you email it to me? i will post it on filefront and post a link

ps. try uploading it as a different extension, so 7z instead of zip here, it might work

+Quote Post
t0xin
post Dec 18 2008, 06:17 AM
Post #13

Participant

I don't see your email on the profile
but just download it from the newer rapidshare link, it still works

+Quote Post
DHS
post Dec 5 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #14

Be nice to me, I am new.

Member No.: 12,839
Card: Avermedia DVB-t

t0xin is correct: tried the (manual edit) fix on the older version 1 MCE remote.
Worthwhile - it works!
(Win XP/SP2. Note the OS installs base drivers for the unit-you need to do the above mods then force a driver update [clicking thru the "unsigned driver" warnings] to enable).
Haven't tried the transmitters at all, but there's no problems binding keys on the std MCE remote or using an old "no-name" generic from a Taiwanese DVD player via HIP biggrin.gif

Definitely recommend a play if you've got an one of these old (formerly) "non-compatible" units lying around.

+Quote Post
CyborgGold
post Jun 16 2010, 08:49 AM
Post #15

Be nice to me, I am new.

Member No.: 13,532

QUOTE (t0xin @ Apr 15 2008, 05:44 AM) *

Option 2 - Manual
CODE
USB\Vid_1784&Pid_0001

11. Save the file

Cheers

Edit 3: Rapidshare link for the script: mcefix.zip
Edit 4: New Rapidhsare link: mcefix.zip

I tried the manual method, and after clicking on 'continue anyways' when it asks about using a non verified driver, it states it is creating a restore point, then shortly after that I am asked where the MCEIR.sys file is located. I do not have that file. What am I missing?

+Quote Post
t0xin
post Jun 16 2010, 10:11 AM
Post #16

Participant

QUOTE (CyborgGold @ Jun 16 2010, 01:49 AM) *
I tried the manual method, and after clicking on 'continue anyways' when it asks about using a non verified driver, it states it is creating a restore point, then shortly after that I am asked where the MCEIR.sys file is located. I do not have that file. What am I missing?

http://burningzeroad.free.fr/MceIrApi.rar

+Quote Post
bobmorton
post Nov 6 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #17

Be nice to me, I am new.

Member No.: 13,861
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

QUOTE (t0xin @ Jun 16 2010, 11:11 AM) *

Thanks! I got the same problem and I finally found out that I also need this stuff. Thanks again. It truly helps me.

Bob M.
stop dog barking blog reader

+Quote Post
david f
post Nov 2 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #18

Be nice to me, I am new.

Member No.: 15,201

A reasonable number of models of MCE Remotes do not come with drivers for Windows XP (e.g. the Philips SRM5100), and if you talk to the manufacturer's technical support, they will tell you that you need to use Windows Vista, or Windows XP MCE (Media Center Edition). This is not the case - they can be used easily and happily in Windows XP.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2017 - 10:10 AM