> TIRA-2 Remote Setup, "Add New" generates "Values do not match"
ecalc
post Sep 24 2010, 03:30 AM
Post #1

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 13,755
Card: None

I am setting up a DVR using XP on a new PC. I am trying to teach Hip my Harmony 300 remote using TIRA-2. Hip recognizes TIRA-2, but when I try to "Add New" remote codes, Hip decides I have entered two different values before I even push a button on the remote. My temporary keyboard is a Logictech RF. I've removed all remotes from the room and the only thing that stops the extraneous readings is blocking TIRA with a solid object. I have gone through the setup on another PC (XP) using the same TIRA. I was trying to setup Girder and would get multiple entries when I pressed a button, but a forum clued me in to staying 3 feet away. I then set up Hip successfully, entering keystrokes into MSWord.

BTW, when I get this resolved, it looks like Hip is just the ticket for what I want to do. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
btmi
post Sep 24 2010, 09:05 AM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

Sounds like IR interference to me. This can come from a number of surprising sources including fluorescent lights and notebooks, but the most common in Home Theatre land is the Plasma screen. Try moving the receiver well away from the TV or any other device (even pointing it in the wrong direction).

--------------------

+Quote Post
ecalc
post Sep 24 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #3

Be nice to me, I am new.

QUOTE (btmi @ Sep 23 2010, 07:05 PM) *
Sounds like IR interference to me. This can come from a number of surprising sources including fluorescent lights and notebooks, but the most common in Home Theatre land is the Plasma screen. Try moving the receiver well away from the TV or any other device (even pointing it in the wrong direction).

Indeed I do have a plasma screen. I had tried moving the TIRA back deeper into the cabinet without success. I assume it's light interference and not electrical since blocking the diode stopped the problem.
I could probably move it behind the TV to learn the remote. If I do that, will TIRA/HIP behave and pull out the appropriate commands? My other IR inputs do not seem to be affected. Can't check it for another 12 hours (black ops project until sufficient WAF).

Thanks.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Sep 24 2010, 11:16 AM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Plasmas are a comon cause of this problem. To test the theory...try moving it as far as away form the screen as you can to see if it works as expected. Because the Tira is a universal remote, it will try to act on ANY IR it receives whereas consumer devices only need ot be looking for particular signatures which is why this can be a problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ecalc
post Sep 26 2010, 03:08 AM
Post #5

Be nice to me, I am new.

QUOTE (btmi @ Sep 23 2010, 09:16 PM) *
Plasmas are a comon cause of this problem. To test the theory...try moving it as far as away form the screen as you can to see if it works as expected.

I finally found a place to shield my TIRA, but not before a misadventure trying an MCE remote clone.

I set up HIP on my laptop and managed to teach it my remote commands and use them on a practice program. Main problem was that HIP kept losing TIRA. I've gone around in circles reinstalling stuff and trying different stuff. It normally happens after I've tried a configuration and go back into HIP. Sometimes closing and restarting HIP fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. What I see is a keyboard default. I've also seen a can't find configuration DLL on occasion.

I returned to my HTPC and was able to teach keystrokes for BTV and actually used the remote to watch a recorded show laugh.gif
Returning to HIP produced the usual loss of TIRA. I also managed to lose all my configuration, but that's just cockpit. I also get occasional access violations working with HIP.

Finally, when creating the configuration, I find a couple of keys that I'm told are already configured, but they're not. I checked for redundant IR codes (none) and deleted all the system-wide keys. Still no luck. These are basic play, pause, FF, and rewind but need to be coded differently for BTV.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Sep 29 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #6

Forum Regular

Sounds like a nightmare! All of the configuration options for HIP are stored in files in the Hip program directory and if you want to zip your config files I can take a look to see what is wrong but it is difficult to know precisely what is wrong.

I might have to get my Tira out of retirement to see....

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 01:42 PM