> Web Scheduler 2.4.3.0
null_pointer
post Jun 15 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #41

Web Scheduler Developer

Group: Developers
Member No.: 9
Card: None

I've had one java.exe hang.  Ie was holding 100% cpu. I killed java.exe but could not start WS again.  Hopefully this was just a one off.

Why did it not start, what was the error?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Spoonfed_*
post Jun 15 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #42

Guests

null,

sorry, stupid me simply stoped the service and the tried to restart the service. Should have tried to start using the .bat file (sorrry)

I think though it was as per previous issue where the "instance" is still perhaps running in java.exe but "hung" and hence stops another one starting?

heres hoping it doesn't happen again. i loving my glitch free ABC capture.

+Quote Post
Hally
post Jun 15 2004, 07:27 PM
Post #43

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

The hanging issue happened to me too. It was when I tried to record 9 HD using the CL mux (consistently) and java.exe went to 100% and I couldn't kill it. I tried to stop/start the service, but it would stop again on start. I did try to run the batch file directly, but I didn't capture the error either :oops: . Ended up having to restart, and I've given away the CL mux since.

BDA version of WS and DW have been working really well since my cutover from TwinHam drivers and sticking with TS mux.

Shane

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Jun 15 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #44

Web Scheduler Developer

I am beginning to wish I had never worked out how to run this as a service.

Yes the CL mux does not like HD at all.

+Quote Post
Guest_Champion_R_*
post Jun 15 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #45

Guests

Couldn't imagine running WS any other way smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hally
post Jun 15 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #46

Forum Regular

Couldn't imagine running WS any other way smile.gif

I'll second that!

+Quote Post
Hally
post Jun 15 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #47

Forum Regular

I 2nd that idea.  Wish i could help but errrm my web skills extend to our work site, pretty damn basic smile.gif

Hi Shaun

I've always wanted to chip in to help, but I'm not much good at "tools" development. That said, I've got plenty of years of web development (ASP/ASP.NET, C#) and I am a compentent HTML/vbscript/javascript programmer. If there's anything I can help with on this front, I'm more than willing! I'm not sure how strict you're being with browser support, but I could implement some complex scrolling on the EPG page, but it will work well in IE (table layouts can be fixed, scrolling divs etc) but not as well in Nutscrape ;-). Perhaps it could be implemented with browser detection?

Let me know what you think.

Shane

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Jun 15 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #48

Web Scheduler Developer

<rant>
I suppose I am just sick of people posting that they got an error and when you ask what the error is they say "I dont know the service just would not start" or "the service stopped", this is not helping!!!

This rant is not directed at anyone in particular it just seems that people are to willing to post that they have problems but dont even bother to get the basic fact as to what error was thrown etc.

It is just frustrating from a development point of view to have someone say they are getting errors but not be able to post error and crash details.

I suppose this is my fault, I should have outlined what to do in a situation where you wanted to supply feedback etc, run it from the command line, make sure you can reproduce the error etc etc.
</rant>

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post Jun 15 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #49

Guests

laugh.gif Yeah, You could have at least implemented a generic 'nut loose on keyboard' handling routine :wink:

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Jun 15 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #50

Web Scheduler Developer

Hally,

Cool, I have never been entiry happy with the EPG page, the new layout in the BDA version is better with the framed header etc but it is still not as good as it could be I think.

If you have a look at he Keyboard only interface, check out the EPG page there, it is better than the normal one as you have a set time period per page (2 hours) etc and thus it can be set out better.

There as been a few requests for a search etc and that could be done resonable easy so I will look at this soon, just need to find the time etc.

I use FireFox exclusivly now, I find it much better than IE so all pages must work on FireFox and IE, having said this I have had to add browser detetion and inclusing of different CSS files in the keyboard only interface as IE has so many bugs it crashes if you try to do some of the alphafilter stuff.

If you have some javascript experiance check out the keyboard only pages, they were a bitch to get working on both browsers :-) it may not sound hard to create a HTML page they you can control using only the arrow keys and enter but believe me it is.

+Quote Post
Hally
post Jun 15 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #51

Forum Regular

OK, I'll check it out.

+Quote Post
Hally
post Jun 15 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #52

Forum Regular

Also, I saw this at DBAForums...

Hi,

I've noticed that FTA TV is apparently going to stop after 18th of June.

Check Nine MSN TV schedule!

I saw that TV Harvest wasn't getting any info after this date.

This very sad!

Could be a concern...

+Quote Post
Guest_Spoonfed_*
post Jun 15 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #53

Guests

ahhh don't wish that.... it serves me well

haha wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Champion_R_*
post Jun 15 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #54

Guests

<rant>
I suppose I am just sick of people posting that they got an error and when you ask what the error is they say "I dont know the service just would not start" or "the service stopped", this is not helping!!!

This rant is not directed at anyone in particular it just seems that people are to willing to post that they have problems but dont even bother to get the basic fact as to what error was thrown etc.

It is just frustrating from a development point of view to have someone say they are getting errors but not be able to post error and crash details.

I suppose this is my fault, I should have outlined what to do in a situation where you wanted to supply feedback etc, run it from the command line, make sure you can reproduce the error etc etc.
</rant>

I do remember you saying to people trying the apps out for the first time not to run as a service because it's easier to fix problems. If I install a new revision, I run it from the commandline for a while until I'm convinced it works then I'll make it a service.

+Quote Post
Guest_ndm_*
post Jun 16 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #55

Guests

I just use Firedaemon to run it as a service.

WS starts on boot and is running before logging in. If a user logs in then the web scheduler window is desplayed with all messages.

Firedaemon is designed to run pretty much any app as a service. Has options to turn on or off desktop interaction.

www.firedaemon.com

the lite version is completely free but is restricted to running one app as a service.

Even the net start and net stop commands work for controlling the service. You specify a short name in firedaemon. So I can schedule net start ws to start web scheduler at a certain time. If someone clicks the close button on the ws window then firedaemon starts it straight back up again.

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Jun 16 2004, 07:44 AM
Post #56

Web Scheduler Developer

Thanks ndm, FireDaemon looks very good, I will check it out, it may be a better option than the current java service wrapper that is being used.

+Quote Post
Guest_Spoonfed_*
post Jun 16 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #57

Guests

Null,

Had the 2kb file issue tonight trying to capture $even.

It captured $even fine on monday, and on tueday, but not tonight.

I stopped the capture, tried 7 again, no luck (tried this 3 times).
No errors were given.

I then fired up BDA DW and which started up on 9 (remembered by DW i think). Went back into WS and 7 captured first attempt.

Its very strange, almost like the card is asleep, or perhaps returns that it is tuned on 7 and feeding data yet it is not? driver related still? hmmm

While i can't be certain i used the card prior to captures on mon/tues, it almost seems that the first capture on fresh boot may do this, yet subsquent captures on another channel (i will confirm this) or card usaged by say DW then allows ok captures.

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Jun 16 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #58

Web Scheduler Developer

If you could work out a way of reproducing this problem it would make it a lot easier to try to work out what is going on. It seems at the moment it is a very hit miss thing.

While I have never seen this it very might be some order you are doing things that I never do that is triggering the problem.

+Quote Post
Guest_Spoonfed_*
post Jun 16 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #59

Guests

i tried a shutdown (power off) and reboot and it captured fine.

these random issues do main things hard i know. BDA DW is quite unstable, though i have never had perfect stablity from DW, getting more "windows must close" errors lately though. (usually use Fusion for live so have not bothered with this too much smile.gif )

i'll stop using the CL mux and see if it re occurs. I don't think it is this as starting/stopping DW, and then WS able to capture 7 indicates more a card/driver issue before the muxer.

+Quote Post
Guest_doddsy_*
post Jun 23 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #60

Guests

Thanks ndm, FireDaemon looks very good, I will check it out, it may be a better option than the current java service wrapper that is being used.

Aarrgh firedaemon. Last time I came accross that a customer's server was hacked and firedaemon was used to install a IRC server for a warez dump/zombie PC.

ndm you haven't done anything slightly naughty in the past have you :wink:

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2019 - 07:49 AM