> A better guide View option for DNTV Schedular pro
agent86oz
post Feb 10 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #1

Participant

Group: New Members
Member No.: 7,697
Card: DNTV Live Dual Hybrid PCIe S2

I am finding my way around now and finaly got ICETV to work, I had to wait for the scheduled time to update, I got confused and was trying EPG update. Not sure if I can or should turn off the EPG update from the stations to avoid ICETV being overwritten?

After the nice Media Center (Windows 7) interface I am finding the show EPG very difficult.

I used to just click on the channel guide and then the channel and enter in recordings for the week channel by channel. At my PC using the browser it is very difficult to quickly do this using the EPG as everything is squashed in and there seems no way of just viewing all the EPG and scrolling down for each channel at a time. I remember or am looking for programs to add based on channel.

The search is good.

I still don't understand how to setup something like the One Day Cricket so it records all of them. I created an Auto add item but it does not seem to add to the schedules list.

In Media Center Sort by Date Recorded seems to be inserting into my Media Center recordings and not in date as expected. Possibly due to Meta Data not being copied to DVR-MS

Thanks for all your time and patience while I am trying to learn. Media Center is good but not with Tuners which is the only reason for moving to this setup but now I find it is quite difficult to get the best of both worlds.

Maybe I am looking at it all wrong and someone can explain why I am having useability issues.

Thanks very much.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bear
post Feb 13 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 808
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

I am finding my way around now and finaly got ICETV to work, I had to wait for the scheduled time to update, I got confused and was trying EPG update. Not sure if I can or should turn off the EPG update from the stations to avoid ICETV being overwritten?
If the external guide provides all your epg requirements then disable the internal epg collection from the "Setup/Data" source setup pages and uncheck the "File Source EIT" option. Any overwrite will be from the last data collected.
After the nice Media Center (Windows 7) interface I am finding the show EPG very difficult.
Our research shows that the horizontal epg style is the most prefered and so it is currently under construction but can not give a denifite time frame for it's release.
The search is good.
This is the easiest way to find what you need, then if it's a show you want to keep on recording then use the auto add feature.
I still don't understand how to setup something like the One Day Cricket so it records all of them. I created an Auto add item but it does not seem to add to the schedules list.
The auto add does not update the schedule list as you may want to do multiple shows at the same time and this can be slow on some pc's. when your satasifed with all you want to add then select the "Run Auto-Add Scan" icon to update the schedule list.
In Media Center Sort by Date Recorded seems to be inserting into my Media Center recordings and not in date as expected. Possibly due to Meta Data not being copied to DVR-MS
We may look at this when we have some time.
Thanks for all your time and patience while I am trying to learn. Media Center is good but not with Tuners which is the only reason for moving to this setup but now I find it is quite difficult to get the best of both worlds
No problem, scheduler is idealy meant to be a set and forget application but due to it's functionality it starts to get complicated. If you need simplicity then maybe look at using DNTVLive! as it has a basic scheduler and can function in a multi tuner enviroment giving PIP functionality or is multi instance for multiple same time channel viewing if you can handle that.

+Quote Post
agent86oz
post Feb 13 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #3

Participant

Thanks for all that, I appreciate such a detailed response.

Good to hear you will work on the guide, it is just not efficient to scan through and quickly pick out shows. I guess if you only watch a limited number of programs and you know in advance what to search for then it is fine. I go through all channels twice a week and it is much quicker from Media Center interface. I guess the limitation is it is a web page rather than an application. If I did not record so much then Media Center and it archaic use of tuners would do the job for me or if it took 6 tuners then that would also be good.

It looks like some people have done things with TV Scheduler Pro 2 and written scripts to add the Meta Data to DVR-MS but it was over my head and I am not sure how successful it was.

I am trying to understand what you say about recording and watching. It appears that you are saying I can watch live while recording but what I do is setup the recording and will say half way through the news just click in Media Center Recorded TV with my remote and start watching from the start and skip through the bits I don't value. Even more so with sport like cricket. Real time does not do that process but perhaps I have not understood correctly.

I am thinking of a mix of Media Center with 4 tuners and 2 tuners for DNTV Scheduler Pro 2 or even TV Scheduler Pro 2 as I only used DVB-T and as far as I can tell other tuners like satellite is the only thing DNTV Scheduler brings to the party but you can set me straight, is there a comparison, I know they started the same but forked at some time.

So regular programs I want to set and forget could go on Scheduler Pro and the rest through media Center. It is a pity I can't just record things like News, 7:30 report and some nights up to 3 other programs back to back but can only start watching after the last one is complete so I might have to mix it up a bit but META Data is a the only other big issue.

This has to be family friendly at the end of the day. Sorry honey you can’t watch xyz program because I am recording 3 more after back to back doesn't work well.

So the tuner management while sounding perfect does have a downside which I guess is why Microsoft did not go down that track, the average consumer would not be able to deal with that.

+Quote Post
bear
post Feb 13 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Member No.: 808
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

It looks like some people have done things with TV Scheduler Pro 2 and written scripts to add the Meta Data to DVR-MS but it was over my head and I am not sure how successful it was.
Not sure either, the meta data can be populated in the setup of the SBE so we can look at that at a later date.
I am trying to understand what you say about recording and watching. It appears that you are saying I can watch live while recording but what I do is setup the recording and will say half way through the news just click in Media Center Recorded TV with my remote and start watching from the start and skip through the bits I don't value. Even more so with sport like cricket. Real time does not do that process but perhaps I have not understood correctly.
Delayed viewing is where you can view the file as it records, Timeshifting is just being able to pause the show while you make the coffee and resume later. You can also pause the delayed recording to make your coffee but the file is kept for later use. Either of these will let you view the program your recording in almost real time if you seek to the files end, this is called view recording in real time.
I am thinking of a mix of Media Center with 4 tuners and 2 tuners for DNTV Scheduler Pro 2 or even TV Scheduler Pro 2 as I only used DVB-T and as far as I can tell other tuners like satellite is the only thing DNTV Scheduler brings to the party but you can set me straight, is there a comparison, I know they started the same but forked at some time.
As far as general functionality they are close, (BTW, TV Scheduler Pro is not TV Scheduler Pro 2). DNTV Scheduler Pro 2 also supports Analog TV/FM and AV input devices for recording if you have a need. I could go on but don't wish to show bias either way as I've have provided some support for both.
So regular programs I want to set and forget could go on Scheduler Pro and the rest through media Center. It is a pity I can't just record things like News, 7:30 report and some nights up to 3 other programs back to back but can only start watching after the last one is complete so I might have to mix it up a bit but META Data is a the only other big issue.
Maybe try TV Scheduler Pro for your needs, DNTV Scheduler Pro 2 is a complementry program for DNTVLive!.
So the tuner management while sounding perfect does have a downside which I guess is why Microsoft did not go down that track, the average consumer would not be able to deal with that.
Microsoft make these rules to protect their income, I am not inclined to think the same way so I just do it for myself as a hobby.

+Quote Post
therat
post Feb 13 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #5

Forum Regular

Member No.: 3,165
Card: DNTV Quad

I don't understand why you want to change the EPG view from vertical to horizontal. I much prefer the current vertical view.

+Quote Post
agent86oz
post Feb 13 2010, 11:04 PM
Post #6

Participant

QUOTE (therat @ Feb 13 2010, 09:38 PM) *
I don't understand why you want to change the EPG view from vertical to horizontal. I much prefer the current vertical view.

I am not quite sure what this will look like. I just want a fast way to see programs where each one has a clear title like Media Center and then an option to see details. At the moment short programs are very close together and it just seems to be harder to read and harder to flick through to find new programs. As mentioned it is more suited to set and forget so things like the news and series would be a no brainer. Perhaps a physical TV guide in paper form or www.yourtv.com.au and using search would be a better option in the Scheduler would be a good option. I have gotten a bit lazy with the user friendlies of Media Center but it obviously does not have a good tuner management.

+Quote Post
therat
post Feb 14 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #7

Forum Regular

Member No.: 3,165

Well when I have my EPG set to full screen it displays the 15 channels I want with the full title and description with no problem at all. Much better than the horizontal setup that say yahoo7 has for its full EPG guide.

+Quote Post
CharlesC
post Feb 14 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #8

Forum Regular

Member No.: 3,148

QUOTE (therat @ Feb 13 2010, 09:38 PM) *

Me too! I prefer vertical.
I suppose it's what you're used to in a way.
As noted elsewhere, I schedule programs from a web browser window. Running at 1600 x 1200 or higher, it's a great way to do it. And vertical works really well.
If you were trying to do that on your TV, then a different matter, no doubt.

QUOTE (bear @ Feb 13 2010, 06:41 PM) *
Maybe try TV Scheduler Pro for your needs....

It has been suggested in various posts. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2019 - 07:12 PM