> Hip - Release Build and new home
btmi
post Apr 3 2004, 05:07 PM
Post #1

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

I have decided that I can remove the beta status of HIP, and so there is a new version available but the location of HIP has changed.

Hip is now available at http://www.byremote.com.au. You can go direct to the HIP downloads page at http://www.byremote.com.au/HIP/Download.htm.

The website is really still under construction and so if you find any dead links (or if it looks like crap) please let me know. The site has a online store for the small number of products I am selling (HIP remains FREE) including the URC5020 "Remote-in-a-Watch" which I have successfully programmed to work with HIP/IrMan. I will be adding more software and hardware here over the next few months.

This release has a number of small changes:
1) Fix installation problem that may not update the software if the version number does not change
2) Added a new command for non-Keyboard entry to show the controller (so in effect you can have any number of master keys for different remotes).

I will continue to update if people find bugs, but I will not be adding to HIP in the near future while I prepare for my next adventure - a completely customisable PC-based remote control program that will not only control your PC but any other IR-equipped hardware in proximity of the machine.

A very big THANK YOU to everyone here that helped me get HIP up to par...you may all take credit for your contributions (I could not have done it without you!!).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_shauno_*
post Apr 6 2004, 02:20 PM
Post #2

Guests

The website is really still under construction and so if you find any dead links (or if it looks like crap) please let me know.  The site has a online store for the small number of products I am selling (HIP remains FREE) including the URC5020 "Remote-in-a-Watch" which I have successfully programmed to work with HIP/IrMan.  I will be adding more software and hardware here over the next few months.

A few quick questions, and I guess this is a good place to ask:

1. Is there an way to display what each "option" (ie 1-6) is in the main HIP control program (after pressing master control button)? I can remember that Digivision is "1", Zoomplayer is "2", etc - but the rest of the household can't.

2. Is there a USB IRman? (I recall there was one, but that it was more expensive).

The site looks great... any chance of special pricing for forum members? smile.gif

+Quote Post
btmi
post Apr 6 2004, 03:12 PM
Post #3

Forum Regular

1. Is there an way to display what each "option" (ie 1-6) is in the main HIP control program (after pressing master control button)? I can remember that Digivision is "1", Zoomplayer is "2", etc - but the rest of the household can't.
If use the UP, DOWN and ENTER buttons in the Enhanced Controller (you may have to define them if they are not already), you can see all of the defined programs and functions. You may want to cull this list of actions by using the "Select Default Actions to Include" button on the main window.

2. Is there a USB IRman? (I recall there was one, but that it was more expensive). 

I am just putting the finishing touches on the driver for a device called Tira-2 (which will be available before Easter). This is a USB device, and is available from http://www.xhome.com.au/. I am trying to get some to sell myself to get the price down a tad but I am having problems with the manufacturer (they seem to be in short supply, and xhome has an exclusive deal), and so you may have to go there first. These are available for $88, but other than being a USB device, it will be the basis of my programmable remote as this device can SEND IR as well as receive.

The site looks great... any chance of special pricing for forum members? smile.gif

While there is almost no margin in this stuff (I am really only selling hardware that works with my software) I am prepared to offer a 5% discount to all members of this forum if you also are prepared to share your experiences/problems with the software here. You will have to remind me though when ordering (in the comments section of the order form).

+Quote Post
Guest_Spoonfed_*
post Apr 6 2004, 06:15 PM
Post #4

Guests

Thanks for the cool app

+Quote Post
darro
post Apr 6 2004, 07:57 PM
Post #5

Forum Regular

Group: FAQ Maintainer
Member No.: 168
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

A very big THANK YOU to everyone here that helped me get HIP up to par

BTMI,

No, A big thank you for all the time you put into this app. It makes the whole HTPC thing work.

Cheers
Darren

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Apr 6 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #6

Guests

Peter,

I was having a problem with HIP where I was receiving a message “List index out of bounds (4)”. I took your advice of placing a program in the position where I had another program (which I had deleted) and the problem is gone. So it looks like you can't have any spaces in the application list and all programs must be active.

BTW, I would like to echo the sentiments of the other guys - great work on this program! If I were in Adelaide I'd buy ya a beer!

Cheers,

Paul.

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Apr 6 2004, 09:37 PM
Post #7

Web Scheduler Developer

Group: Developers
Member No.: 9
Card: None

Yes, great work Peter, HIP rocks :-)

+Quote Post
Guest_Spoonfed_*
post Apr 6 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #8

Guests

yeah its real "hip"

smile.gif ok im lame

+Quote Post
btmi
post Apr 7 2004, 09:23 AM
Post #9

Forum Regular

Thanks guys...I have written lots of software over the years but I do not think any project has been more enjoyable. If only I was independantly wealthy and I think I would write all my software for free...

+Quote Post
btmi
post Apr 7 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #10

Forum Regular

I have just uploaded a new build to http://www.byremote.com.au/Hip/Download.htm with the following fixes and changes:

Build 2.0.1.11 7/4/2004
Fixed "List Index is out of Bounds" error.
Added PostMessage function to Keyboard Editor
Added Mouse Movement functions to Keyboard Editor
Added Nebula DigiTV controls (Not Tested)
Added support for IRA/TIRA devices (Beta)

+Quote Post
Guest_BJReplay_*
post Apr 21 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #11

Guests

Peter, I've run into something that I don't think should be happening:

I've defined the power key on my remote in both the DigitalWatch keys, and the systemwide keys, on the understanding that while digitalwatch is running, HIP should send the defined key (x to exit) to digitalwatch, but when DW is not running, it should run the systemwide command (hibernate).

Instead, if DW is not running, the power key on the remote starts DW and it immediately exits.

The same thing happens for any other program - for example notepad. If NP is running, the power key is defined to send Alt-F4 to exit. If notepad is not running, pressing power starts and then stops it.

The power key is starting the last program that it is defined for, then carrying out it's action.

+Quote Post
Ambro
post Apr 22 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #12

Forum Regular

Member No.: 424

If only I was independantly wealthy and I think I would write all my software for free...

laugh.gif Your in Adelaide remember, who needs a mega highly paid job laugh.gif

Seriously; is there a setting to overide myHTPC so that HIP can take full control without hitting any master buttons? An On/Off system would help for people like myself. It is fair to say I have only tinkered lightly with HIP - have I missed something?

Cheers,
Ambro

--------------------
Don't argue with a fool. The spectators can't tell the difference.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Apr 22 2004, 09:08 AM
Post #13

Forum Regular

laugh.gif  Your in Adelaide remember, who needs a mega highly paid job  :lol:  
Seriously; is there a setting to overide myHTPC so that HIP can take full control without hitting any master buttons? An On/Off system would help for people like myself. It is fair to say I have only tinkered lightly with HIP - have I missed something?

I may be closer to the best wine in the country, but it does not make it cheaper!! I actually moved from Sydney about 4 years ago to escape the traffic, tolls and the selling my soul to the bank...

I could add an enable/disable functionality, but as there are other myHTPC/Hip users here, they may be able to offer advice to achieve what you want to do. Can you explain in more detail how you would like this work?

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Apr 22 2004, 11:25 AM
Post #14

Guests

Ambro,

I am a little confused as to what you want to do here. The only time you should have to use the HIP master control screen is when you want to launch apps.

I am using HIP to control myHTPC. I have myHTPC defined as one of the programs controlled by HIP by putting it in the HIP application list. Then I have all the basic myHTPC control buttons (up, down, left, right, enter, back) defined as commands in the HIP button list. These commands are mapped to buttons on my remote so that I have full control of myHTPC.

I have my HTPC setup so that HIP, girder and myHTPC load on startup. I don't even need to use the HIP master screen at all with this config. HIP still controls the myHTPC control, and I launch all my apps from within myHTPC, rather than the HIP master controller.

Good luck with it,

Elroy.

+Quote Post
Guest_BJReplay_*
post Apr 22 2004, 08:44 PM
Post #15

Guests

I have my HTPC setup so that HIP, girder and myHTPC load on startup. I don't even need to use the HIP master screen at all with this config. HIP still controls the myHTPC control, and I launch all my apps from within myHTPC, rather than the HIP master controller.

Wanna share your .hip and .hpg files and myHTPC.cfg? :wink:

+Quote Post
Ambro
post Apr 22 2004, 09:54 PM
Post #16

Forum Regular

Member No.: 424

I am a little confused as to what you want to do here. The only time you should have to use the HIP master control screen is when you want to launch apps.

I had a quick play so I'm probably missing a very obvious thing...

I have the VP remote configured to work through myHTPC remote control configuration window - swapping just the key values so they correspond with the VP remote (I never use a keyboard to work myHTPC, otherwise I'd be in trouble I guess)

If I open up zoomplayer, through a myHTPC menu, the HIP program doesn't kick in automatically. I have to first open up HIP, after that it then takes control and zoomplayer works how I want it to.

I've tried putting myHTPC in the HIP list of programs to control, reassigning only a few keys, and it doesn't seem to help. Reading quickly about HIP on this forum I gather that you have to open HIP up first before it starts taking control /or/ use the HIP master control screen - something that had put me off as I only want to use the myHTPC program to lauch other programs.

Being I run my computer with only the VP remote (no keyboard) I'm hoping that HIP can be configured so that it can realise zoomplayer is running when myHTPC starts it up - without having to trigger HIP firstly. I would be great if HIP loads via the startup folder and automatically figures out which program is in focus immediately without having to access the HIP program again.

<reading back on what I've just typed is confusing, but I'm not sure how else to explain it :oops: >

--------------------
Don't argue with a fool. The spectators can't tell the difference.

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Apr 22 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #17

Guests

Wanna share your .hip and .hpg files and myHTPC.cfg? :wink:

I will e-mail them to you, though I don't really understand why'd you want them. All you need to do is define 6 keys to navigate myHTPC (up, down, left and right arrows, enter and backspace) in HIP (after you have myHTPC in the programs list, of course) and then map those to buttons on the remote.

But I will send it to ya anyway smile.gif.

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Apr 22 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #18

Guests

I had a quick play so I'm probably missing a very obvious thing...

I have the VP remote configured to work through myHTPC remote control configuration window - swapping just the key values so they correspond with the VP remote (I never use a keyboard to work myHTPC, otherwise I'd be in trouble I guess)

If I open up zoomplayer, through a myHTPC menu, the HIP program doesn't kick in automatically. I have to first open up HIP, after that it then takes control and zoomplayer works how I want it to.

I've tried putting myHTPC in the HIP list of programs to control, reassigning only a few keys, and it doesn't seem to help. Reading quickly about HIP on this forum I gather that you have to open HIP up first before it starts taking control /or/ use the HIP master control screen - something that had put me off as I only want to use the myHTPC program to lauch other programs.

Being I run my computer with only the VP remote (no keyboard) I'm hoping that HIP can be configured so that it can realise zoomplayer is running when myHTPC starts it up - without having to trigger HIP firstly. I would be great if HIP loads via the startup folder and automatically figures out which program is in focus immediately without having to access the HIP program again.

<reading back on what I've just typed is confusing, but I'm not sure how else to explain it :oops: >

Ok ambro, I think I understand what you want to do. Her's what you need to do:

To control myHTPC:

1. Open up HIP
2. Make sure you have done all the basic stuff, like set a master control button etc.
3. Put myHTPC in the application list (program details) in HIP
4. Press add value on the main HIP screen.
5. Another window should pop up, asking you to press a button on your remote that you want to map. So press the button that you want to use for a particular function.
6. Another window will pop up. In the first field (Description) enter a name for that command. For instance, if in myHTPC you wanted to move up in a menu, call the command "UP".
5. Below that there is a primary command field. Click the keyboard to the right of that. Another screen will pop up, which is a basic keyboard layout. Press the Up arrow on your keyboard. Something like {up} should appear near the top of that window. If it does, click OK.
6. A command should now be in the primary command field. If there is, click OK again.
7. You should now be back at the main HIP screen. The command should be in the window at the bottom of the main HIP screen. If it is, well done! You've mapped one key to a button on your remote!
8. Repeat for all other functions. For myHTPC, I've got only up, down, left, right, enter and backspace mapped to buttons, and that allows me to control myHTPC.

To control zoomplayer:

Repeat the above steps, but for Zoomplayer instead!

To get HIP to load on startup, open the preferences page, and under the System Settings tab, click "Automatically load on system startup". It should always load when you start windows.

Just remember - if you want to control a program (no matter what launches it) the program and all of the commands you want to control MUST be defined in HIP.

Good luck,

Elroy.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Apr 23 2004, 09:21 AM
Post #19

Forum Regular

Don't forget that if you also want Hip to automatically re-map keys according to what application is in focus, you must also have the "Automatically change key configuration" option selected in the first tab of the preferences screen.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 02:02 AM