3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hip Beta 1.1.0 Build 0 (Beta) Now Available
Guest_Elroy_*
post Mar 24 2004, 01:52 AM
Post #21

Guests

Hi Peter,

Finally got around to testing the new beta tonight (it was the latest version, ?1.1.3) and all I can say is, WOW!!! Very nice work, this is a major step forward from all previous versions (last one I tested was beta 10 btw, which was before the major rebuild).

Unfortunately I didn't have much time to play around with it, so I only tested in one program (DigiVision), and here's my findings/bugs etc.

- Worked very nicely with VisionPlus receiver. I no longer have the problem where the taskbar was stealing focus and no keypresses were getting sent through.

- Worked EXTREMELY nicely with the IRMan. Usable distance was definately increased (no longer have to lean forward to change channels!!!) and it was very easy to setup.

- I had to re-enter the predefined keys. i.e. I began by using your predefined keys for DV. Opened up the program, and nothing worked. So I eventually found that I had to edit the value, and re-enter the actual keyboard shortcut. Just rescanning the button press on the remote (to get the remote code) did nothing. Not sure if anyone else is having this problem.

- Opening of the help file seems very iffy. Trying to open it by going through the menu at the top of the config. window and clicking it opened nothing. Pressing F1 in the config. window worked intermittently. I found I had to open it via the HIP directory.

- Spelling of successfully is incorrect in the window that pops up when a COM device is detected. It should have 2 s's, not 1. (I know it's got nothing to do with how the program works, but proof-reading is part of my job!)

- I tried getting the DW plugin to work, with limited success. It wouldn't work at all with the IRMan, and I was struggling with the VP remote. I was trying to assign my own buttons, but it kept on coming up with an error message saying "Key is already defined". I assume this is because the button I was pressing on the remote was already assigned to a different task. Any workaround?

- Finally, I just wanted a bit of clarification on the system wide keys when using IRMan. Am I correct in saying that they work across the whole system, even in programs that aren't registered with HIP, but those same buttons will be overidden if an application that is registered with HIP is open and has focus? And that the application button has preference over the system wide button. If this is correct, how does this differ from the advanced control keys?

That's about it for the moment. Would love to test more, but have to be up in 6 hours, so it's time for bed. Will try and test further tomorrow night. If it works this nicely with the RF receiver :wink: I will be a happy man.

Cheers,

Paul.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 24 2004, 10:49 AM
Post #22

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

Paul...thanks for a comprehensive report.

- I had to re-enter the predefined keys.
- Opening of the help file seems very iffy. 
- I tried getting the DW plugin to work
I am looking into these issues with a new posting probably later today.
- Spelling of successfully is incorrect

Fixed (don't hesitate to correct my spelling - I think I am dyslexic)
- Finally, I just wanted a bit of clarification on the system wide keys when using IRMan. Am I correct in saying that they work across the whole system, even in programs that aren't registered with HIP, but those same buttons will be overidden if an application that is registered with HIP is open and has focus? 

That is exactly the idea. System-wide keys are generally non-specific keys such as cursor/mouse movements or numbers. The feature to override these settings will though depend on the mode you have selected for IRMan ("Execute in Focus" only when the App is focus,"Send to Last" uses the last selected application and if it is "Unique" the keys can't be overridden as they are all different).

When the Enhanced Controller is displayed, only those keys defined in the EC are used and all other key presses are ignored.

Peter

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 24 2004, 02:29 PM
Post #23

Forum Regular

Your posting has showed up a number of issues and there are new builds available now (I think I am getting close to finally removing the BETA status!!)

- I had to re-enter the predefined keys.
This seems to be working now
- Opening of the help file seems very iffy. 

You are right. Hopefully this has been fixed.
- I tried getting the DW plugin to work

This seems to be working OK. The "Key has already been defined" should be popping up if you try to assign a function to a key that is used elsewhere. I dont think there are any keys on the VP remote that are not used (and so you need to use the keyboard). I actually do not use this to re-map the DW keys, but when you open the DLL, it creates a set of predefined keys which saves you having to remember the way the keys are configured in DW. With all predefined keys though you will have to rescan the IRMan code.

Another thing I forgot to mention...if you are using IRMan, do not forget to disconnect the VP USB Infared reader, otherwise those commands will still be coming through.

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Mar 24 2004, 03:59 PM
Post #24

Guests

This seems to be working OK.  The "Key has already been defined" should be popping up if you try to assign a function to a key that is used elsewhere.  I dont think there are any keys on the VP remote that are not used (and so you need to use the keyboard).  I actually do not use this to re-map the DW keys, but when you open the DLL, it creates a set of predefined keys which saves you having to remember the way the keys are configured in DW.
Sorry, I am a bit confused here. So are you saying that I can't remap the keys if I use the VP remote and the VP receiver, but I can if I use the IRMan?

Another thing I forgot to mention...if you are using IRMan, do not forget to disconnect the VP USB Infared reader, otherwise those commands will still be coming through.

I did that from the start - I figured it would have posed a problem if I left them both connected!

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 24 2004, 04:16 PM
Post #25

Forum Regular

Sorry, I am a bit confused here. So are you saying that I can't remap the keys if I use the VP remote and the VP receiver, but I can if I use the IRMan?

No...DW uses keyboard comands which you can remap using the DigitalWatch plugin. When you are using IRMan, you have to tell HIP which IR Code performs what action.

For example, when you press the CH+ key on the VP Remote, this is the same as pressing {SHIFT}{UP} on a keyboard. So if the Change Network Up option in DW is ALSO configured as {SHIFT}{UP} , then you need to teach HIP in IRMan mode (by pressing the CH+ button) that this command should send to DW {SHIFT}{UP}. You can do this as either a System Wide command, or at the application level.

When using IRMan, you need to forget about what commands the remote is sending, and concentrate on what you want it to do when the key is pressed.

BTW - I have sent an email to X10 about their COM interface, but just in case I do not get a reply, when you get yours if there is any technical documentation about the interface, can you send it to me by email, and I will write a pluggin for you.

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Mar 24 2004, 06:05 PM
Post #26

Guests

Peter, I am still a little confused in regards to DigitalWatch (it doesn't help when I don't have it open in front of me!).

What I want to do is assign a button on the remote to toggle between the Zoom(133) and Zoom(100) functions in DW. The keyboard commands for this are [ and ], and I want to assign these to a button on the remote. I don't think these are currently assigned to a button on the remote in the DW keys.ini file (if they are I couldn't find it - I found the keys.ini file very difficult to understand). I would really like to eventually remap all of the button presses in DW - can I do this in HIP, or do I have to play around with the keys.ini file? Or is this only an issue with the VP receiver, and not with IRMan (cos I have to reassign all of the codes with IRMan)? If I have to play around with keys.ini should I get in contact with nate instead?

Maybe things will become clearer for me when I can get in front of the HTPC with DW, the IRMan, and the new beta's of HIP and the DW plugin. I will test it all out tonight and get back to you.

+Quote Post
Guest_Spoonfed_*
post Mar 24 2004, 08:12 PM
Post #27

Guests

Two possible bugs:

While i have't updated with the "patches" of this latest version (haven't seen anything that directly affects this) perhaps it may help?

When shutting down the PC using HIP popup window and the remote (IRman) the PC goes through its shutdown process but does not completely turn off. Its almost like its in some sort of standby mode (mind u all fans etc are running) with keyboard/mouse lit but not responding to comands. A simple "tap" (ie no hold) of the power button on the case turns the power off fully. Shutting down using windows is fine, same if i let the app "shut down now" turn it off. Any ideas?
System:
Athlon 2400+
A7V 333 Asus MB
1GB 512 DDR 333mhz Kingmax (red)
3 of 60GB seagate barrcuda V's
CDRW
DVD-ROM
Radeon 9600 pro
Vantech ION 400w PSU
Windows XP Pro

The 2nd issue relates to applications repsonse to HIP commands. In Zoomplayer (file mode) zoomplayer will not responde to remote comands while ANY OSD is visable, this includes the "Control bar". This can be a problem as for some reason while rewinding zoomplayer keeps the "control bar" visable, hence mouse/keyboard intervention is needed to stop rewinding. Keyboard comands work while OSD is up, just not IR ones. In PowerDVD 5 when saying briing up the menu "list" one can scroll up and down with the keyboard and choose the menu needed, but NOT with HIP, It brings up the menu but even though "up/down" are programed it will not highlight and allow one to select a option. Any ideas on these issues?

Apparent from this its great, and im loving it.

Thanks

D

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Mar 24 2004, 08:27 PM
Post #28

Web Scheduler Developer

Group: Developers
Member No.: 9
Card: None

Is it possible to start an app with parameters. i.e I want to start app x.exe with some command line parameters

x.exe -start 10 -load 5

It will not let me add the parameters it to the app launch settings

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 24 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #29

Forum Regular

This will be a big posting as I answer all of the questions..but before that I have just uploaded another update (Build 5) that fixes the following from the last release:
1) IrMan: Master Controls not being sent to Enhanced Controller
2) IrMan: C_OK (Enter) key not working
3) All: Disabled IRMan before shutdown.

Sorry about the lateness but the only time that I can really play with this is after the family ghave gone to bed (but I should still be in time for the WA Users!)

When shutting down the PC...
This has answered a question that has frustrated me for months. It seems that if you start a Shutdown sequence when a COM port is active, Windows will go into a sleep state (presumably so you can wake it again via the COM ports). In the current posting, I now shutdown the com ports before closing down...let me know if this works.

2nd issue relates to applications repsonse to HIP commands...

The problem will be that HIP is sending the commands to the wrong Window. Can you try this solution...set up the UP/DOWN etc as System- Wide Keys and do NOT override them in the Application. Theoretically HIP will not try and switch to the application and the keyboard values will be simply sent to the window in focus. If this does not work, I know what I have to do...

What I want to do is assign a button on the remote to toggle between the Zoom(133) and Zoom(100) functions in DW. The keyboard commands...
In the DW Application Options screen, locate the Zoom lines, and try to assign the [ and ] keys if they are not already configured this way. If you get the "Already Assigned" message scroll through the list and locate the lines that use these codes and change them to something else. You can actually use this program to edit the keys very easily without having to edit the Keys.ini file directly. Now in Hip, in the DW Actions, select add, press the key on the remote you want to Assign and then select the Blue Option Zoom(100), edit the caption and save.

Is it possible to start an app with parameters. ...

No, but it is a good idea and easy to implement. I will add this in the next release (probably tomorrow at the rate I am going)....

+Quote Post
Guest_Spoonfed_*
post Mar 24 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #30

Guests

[quote="btmi"][quote]When shutting down the PC... [/quote]
This has answered a question that has frustrated me for months. It seems that if you start a Shutdown sequence when a COM port is active, Windows will go into a sleep state (presumably so you can wake it again via the COM ports). In the current posting, I now shutdown the com ports before closing down...let me know if this works.

Still a no go sorry sad.gif When i use the app/IRman to shutdown the PC stops and windows displays "it is now safe to turn your computer off" like an old AT PC would. Im not 100% sure it displayed this on the earlier build as i was using the 2nd head on the video card and perhaps such msg only gets displayed on primary (as the video does turn off/on as projector resyncs). Very strange that it shuts it down thinking its an AT machine and not ATX, yet normal shutdowns are fine. I did install the latest HIP and the latest IRman .dll.

[quote]2nd issue relates to applications repsonse to HIP commands... [/quote]
The problem will be that HIP is sending the commands to the wrong Window. Can you try this solution...set up the UP/DOWN etc as System- Wide Keys and do NOT override them in the Application. Theoretically HIP will not try and switch to the application and the keyboard values will be simply sent to the window in focus. If this does not work, I know what I have to do...

Thanks for that, it seems to work now. Im still a "newbie" only been a few nights, there always "tinkering". Not related to HIP, but do you know if there is any key commands for PowerDVD 5 to like fast forward?

PS: The "global" commands seem to work OK now with IRman. However for say the numbers 1-5 to activate each assigned app from the "HIP popup window" they must be in the "global" commands list. However in doing this is one scrolls through the list of commands you get say 1.Digitalwatch 1. 2.PowerDVD 2. if you know what i mean. I number in front of each app, BUT also a number between each app.

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Mar 25 2004, 11:14 AM
Post #31

Guests

Hi Peter,

Only got a brief chance to have a play around with the latest builds last night. My findings:

- In regards to DW, I am an idiot :oops:. Lets just leave it at that for the moment. I have got it working fine (the zoom thing anyway, it is the only command that I got to test; therefore, I am assuming the rest will work fine).

- Your spelling error in successfully still remains. It is in the box that appears after the IRMan has been detected on a particular COM port (i.e. for me, it's COM1). When I click COM1 in the IRMan setup screen, the box appears, saying IRman has been detected.

- Enhanced master controls are not being sent to the master controller via IRMan (this is with build 115). I am currently using the system wide keys to control the master controller. Perhaps the system wide keys list could be the same as the enhanced master controls list? I think this would easily alleviate the problem, though I haven't thought about the implications of it thoroughly.

- Selecting system shutdown via the master controller does a complete shutdown for me (this was a check for Spoonfed).

Cheers,

Paul.

+Quote Post
Guest_Spoonfed_*
post Mar 25 2004, 11:26 AM
Post #32

Guests

- Selecting system shutdown via the master controller does a complete shutdown for me (this was a check for Spoonfed).

Doh! sad.gif Anyone else have the shutdown issue? It is very strange as it does shutdown, just not power off, leaving "its now safe to turn off your computer" XP message. I use "ShutDown" now to shut the PC off automaticly each night and that works fine, same with manual XP shutdown. Be nice to have it work with remote also though.

I might have a play and try setting up a remote key or something for shutdown using a batch file or short cut or similar and see if that works. Perhaps it is the "type" off shut down string being issued to XP that is "non standard"?

+Quote Post
nate
post Mar 25 2004, 11:37 AM
Post #33

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 169
Card: DNTV Quad

I haven't tried this so i have no idea if it would work, and i've never used shutdown now, but could you setup shutdown now as an app in Hip and then use the remote to tell shutdown now to activate?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Spoonfed_*
post Mar 25 2004, 11:49 AM
Post #34

Guests

Nate,

Yes, shutdown now is the app i use also. I guess you could set it up as an app and then use it to shutdown the PC. It runs in the task bar but, so im not sure, will have to have a play

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Mar 25 2004, 02:10 PM
Post #35

Guests

Spoonfed,

What you describe is very weird indeed - I didn't know Windows XP still had a "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen! Obviously this is still for AT support.

Have you changed the power management settings at all, or are you running a fairly default scheme?

The other thing that I have thought of is that another program might be interfering - have you tried disabling all other applications (including those in the system tray) before you shutdown with the remote? The reason I ask this is because I had no end of trouble with getting HIP to work initially (1 or 2 months ago). I eventually found that when I installed WinDVD, another program called WinCinema Manager was installed, and this was causing my problems. As soon as I uninstalled it, the majority of my problems were gone. I'm wondering if you are having the same problem here. I run a fairly clean system now, with nothing running in the background other than the essentials.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 25 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #36

Forum Regular

Next update (Build 116) now available which includes some changes:

1) Added Parameters option for Applications (for Nate)
2) Changed the Shutdown procedures (see below)
3) Fixed IRMan controls for popups

Your spelling error in successfully still remains.
SHould be OK now (I forgot to update the DLL)

Enhanced master controls are not being sent to the master controller via IRMan (this is with build 115). I am currently using the system wide keys to control the master controller. Perhaps the system wide keys list could be the same as the enhanced master controls list? I think this would easily alleviate the problem, though I haven't thought about the implications of it thoroughly. 

This is now working for me, but there were problems in previous releases. Try it again. All of these keys should be set up as system wide keys. You need only set them up in the EC list if you want to over-ride the other keys

Selecting system shutdown via the master controller does a complete shutdown for me (this was a check for Spoonfed).
I have not actually touched this part, and so it MUST be related to the fact the COM Port is being used. I have had exactly the same problem for months due to a UPS, but I have not found a solution. In this build, there are additional steps to try an clear out the COM port so that it should be in the same state as a system that does not use it. If you do use Shutdown Now, you can use the new application command line parameters to run it with the correct switches. Shutting a system down is not as easy as one would think in Windows....

However for say the numbers 1-5 to activate..

You do not neet to re-assign the keys 1-9 in the enhanced controller list. Another tip is that you can also assign a key on your remote to go directly to an application by using the APP_1..APP_9 keys in the system wide settings.

Peter

PS...I tested the shutdown on my XP system at home and I had no problems.

+Quote Post
nate
post Mar 25 2004, 04:30 PM
Post #37

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 169
Card: DNTV Quad

I'd love to take credit, but it was actually Shaun's idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 25 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #38

Forum Regular

I'd love to take credit, but it was actually Shaun's idea.

I knew it started with N...sorry Shaun!!

+Quote Post
Guest_BJReplay_*
post Mar 25 2004, 05:00 PM
Post #39

Guests

Re X10 remotes (including the ATI Remote Wonder) - ATI have an SDK - it's at http://www.ati.com/developer/ammosdk.html

One (ugly) thought - could you write a Remote Wonder plug-in as described in the SDK document that trapped all keys, and passed them to HIP - and then have HIP do it's magic and send them on to DigitalWatch etc?

That way you could have all the goodness of HIP, being driven with X-10 remotes.

You can buy the Remote Wonder as a stand alone item, and there are others for sale as well. You should be able to use the ATI driver (get it from http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/re...onder-1-4.html) for any x-10 remote.

BJ

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 25 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #40

Forum Regular

Re X10 remotes (including the ATI Remote Wonder)

I had a look at the SDK and it quite simple. I did not realise that X1O remotes use this API...I don't fancy buying many more remotes, and so if I wrote a Plugin, would you be prepared to test it?

I might give it a go right now...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 11:29 PM