> Hip Beta 1.1.0 Build 0 (Beta) Now Available
btmi
post Mar 21 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

OK guys...now I need your help (I am going a bit crazy trying to debug all of the options now available in Hip)...

There is a new version of HIP available at http://www.btmi.com.au/HIP (HIPInstallBeta110.EXE).

Almost all of the code has had to be re-written to allow for the new features and to fix the old (not to mention backward compatibility), and so I would appreciate your patience and help to get any issues sorted as quickly as possible.

The main changes in this version include:
1) COM support via IRMan (more options to come). To enable this you must also download the HIPIRMan.dll file to your HIP Program directory and consult the section in the Help file called Tutorial - Setting up a COM Interface for instructions how to set it up.

As I have said before, COM support provides many benefits including improved performance and more user options. I have a limited number of IRMan units, in retail packaging direct from the manufacturer available to any HIP Beta tester at cost ($40+$7.50postage). Please contact me for more details.

2) Dual Monitor Support

3) New Keyboard Commands (including wait states) and direct comand processing with a COM Interface.

There have been a host of other changes and bug fixes (including the reported problems with Girder and OSD) and lots more which I cannot remember.

Please let me know how you go, and expect a flurry of updates as problems are found and fixed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Mar 21 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #2

Web Scheduler Developer

Group: Developers
Member No.: 9
Card: None

Cool, downloading now, will let you know how it goes.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 21 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #3

Forum Regular

After uploading the files, I thought I should set it up at home, and I found 2 problems straight away...

1) If you get the Message "Cannot Find Entry Point for WaitHook" or something simliiar, you probably have an older version of the BTMIGetkey.dll lurking somewhere. The Fix: Stop HIP, locate all versions of this file, delete them and reinstall HIP.

2) If you have an IRMan and are trying to program it with an IR Keyboard (like me), then you will have problems as the system will use the Keyboard's IR and not the device you wish to learn.. There will be a new HIPIRMan.dll to fix that tomorrow.

3) Also you cannot delete System Wide keys in the Alternate Input section (where you configre IRMan)...this will also be fixed tomorrow.

Programming can be a frustrating task at times!!

+Quote Post
Guest_Spoonfed_*
post Mar 21 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #4

Guests

I"ve had an IRman sitting round for a while I got off a mate.

You have given me reason to get off my butt and start programing them apps in smile.gif

Works well might I add.

Haven't 100% finished yet but can't say i've picked up any issues yet, though its early days smile.gif

Thanks for the cool app

+Quote Post
darro
post Mar 22 2004, 07:29 AM
Post #5

Forum Regular

Group: FAQ Maintainer
Member No.: 168
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

Thanks for the update. Will have a go with it now.

Cheers
Darren

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Mar 22 2004, 07:48 AM
Post #6

Web Scheduler Developer

It looks like the Girder plugin is still sending the extra char on the
end of the event string, I know how to work around this now though :-)

I can not get events sent to Girder for normal key presses, the app
change event is sent but not the key press. I am leaving the key to
send blank in Hip is this correct? It works ok if I use the send to
girder key, that is how I am teaching Girder but when I just use the
app normally with the remote the command are not send to Girder.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 22 2004, 11:45 AM
Post #7

Forum Regular

Sorry, I cannot remove anything else....what was your workaround?

I am leaving the key to send blank in Hip is this correct?

That should be correct, but I have just noticed that HIP will ignore any commands which are blank. In the next build (coming later today) I have added a keyboard event "Send To Girder" which will create a Girder event without doing anything else.

Peter

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Mar 22 2004, 12:02 PM
Post #8

Web Scheduler Developer

Sorry, I cannot remove anything else....what was your workaround?

Just let Girder learn the event instead of typing it in manually.

In the next build (coming later today) I have added a keyboard event "Send To Girder" which will create a Girder event without doing anything else.

Good idea :-)

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 22 2004, 04:15 PM
Post #9

Forum Regular

New builds of both HIP (HIPInstallBeta111.exe) and HIPIRMan.dll which fixes the previously reported problems are now available.

Keep the suggestions coming!!

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Mar 22 2004, 05:57 PM
Post #10

Web Scheduler Developer

I am still having the problem with the extra char on the event string that is transmitted from the Girder plug in. Following is a screen cap of the learn dialog after you teach Girder a command from Hip, as you can see the extra char shown up as a non displayable char or black bar.

http://www.digtv.ws/temp/girder01.png

If I copy this text into a bin editor it is showing the char as a 0D which is <return> ACSII 13 or enter take you pick.

I am not sure if this is a bug with Girder or Hip?

The main problem now is that you can teach Girder the commands but when you save the settings and open girder all the char that where on the end have been removed and now none of the events get triggered anymore.

Because of this I think it is a Hip problem.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 22 2004, 06:22 PM
Post #11

Forum Regular

What version of Girder and the Internet plugin do you use?

I am using 3.2.9 and there is no #13 character in my gml files...

I will check it out and get back to you shortly

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Mar 22 2004, 06:35 PM
Post #12

Web Scheduler Developer

What version of Girder and the Internet plugin do you use?

Girder 3.3.1b
Plugin 2.0a

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 22 2004, 07:26 PM
Post #13

Forum Regular

Shaun...I am REALLY sorry....

I changed the code, tested it, but for some reason those changes did not make it into the final build which is why the #13s are still there.

PM me your email address and I will send you a new build in the next 30 minutes.

+Quote Post
Major_Mess
post Mar 23 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #14

Participant

Member No.: 419

I don't understand what the advantage of using HIP with Girder is. Doesn't Girder cover everything by itself?

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 23 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #15

Forum Regular

I don't understand what the advantage of using HIP with Girder is. Doesn't Girder cover everything by itself?

This is a good question that I have asked myself many times while developing HIP. Basically it was written to get around the poor software that was supplied with the remote that came with the Vision Plus card.

Girder can do everything that HIP does with a few caveats:

1) Programming GIRDER to translate keys according to the application in focus is an extremely tedious process (believe me I have tried). There are also issues with the way that girder handles the switching of focus from window to window.

2) HIP uses a different scheme to work out what is in focus, and where to send the keys that works better for most applications.

3) The enhanced controller provides you with additional on screen help including information about how the keys have been assigned, and even a SMS-style on-screen keyboard you can use to send commands.

4) HIP is free, and GIRDER is not anymore.

5) HIP is a lot easier and quicker to program than Girder. For some users, the use of both HIP to get the keys and Girder to process them is the best solution.

There will be one feature that I will be adding in the next few months that will make the differences more pronounced...that is the ability for HIP to not only control your computer, but also any other IR enabled device (AMP, TV etc.) within range but more on that anon...

Would any other users of HIP and Girder like to contribute to this list (I need to justify why I have spent so many hours on the project!!)

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Mar 23 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #16

Web Scheduler Developer

There is no easy way to get Girder to remap the key presses for each active app. I want the IR keys to do one thing for myHTPC and another when PowerDVD is the active app.

The only real reason I am using Girder at all is that Girder seems to be able to send the key commands to the current (active) app better than Hip. If I set up hip to send keys presses to the current app (in this case myHTPC) there are a few problems.

- Some of the key presses do not get sent or they are sent but are not acted on by the app. I have turned on the PC speaker feedback in Hip so I can hear when Hip receives a command but some key hits to not get through to the active app. For about 1 on 10 IR commands I can hear the PC speaker but the active app does not actually get the command.

- Very wierd task bar stuff happens when I activate PowerDVD using Hip and myHTPC, the Windows task bar is activated will not go away.

When I send the IR key presses to Girder using the Internet plugin and then get Girder to send the Key presses to the active app I do see the above problems.

If it was not for the above problems I would use Hip for everything.

+Quote Post
Guest_phiadon_*
post Mar 23 2004, 02:23 PM
Post #17

Guests

Using HIP very successfully - thanks for the work, makes the VP remote at least functional for other things like myhtpc smile.gif

I don't use it with girder - it does all that I want for the moment, played with girder a while ago but never really got into it in any depth, this was nice and straight forward.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 23 2004, 02:58 PM
Post #18

Forum Regular

Yet another release of both HIP and the HipIRMan.dll

Included in this release are the following:
[list]Support for Comfirmation Click when learning via COM-based devices (this is required to check that the code being processed by Hip is indeed the right one)
Added extended characters and fixed mouse controls in Keyboard Editor
Fixed Enhanced Control display problems (List Index Error)
This also includes the Girder fixes previously mentioned
[list]

Also a cautionary tale for those of you using COM-based input. If you have a notebook computer, or a printer that has a IRdA port, remember that this is continually sending IR. These will not only be registreted by the IR Receiver but may also interfere with any IR sending/receiving.

Peter - BTMI

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Mar 23 2004, 04:21 PM
Post #19

Guests

Hi Peter,

Just a quick question about the last point - what about wireless keyboard users? I assume they are going to have the same problem as well?

Thanks,

Paul.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 23 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #20

Forum Regular

Hi Peter,

Just a quick question about the last point - what about wireless keyboard users? I assume they are going to have the same problem as well?

No it is not a problem (unless you are leaning on the keyboard), as the IR Commands are only sent when you press a key, whereas, IRdA is always polling for connections to other devices. I have had to add a few checks in the system to make sure that the IR being read is meant for Hip and not for anything else, but I have no problem with my wireless IR keyboard and Hip.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 09:13 PM