> Hip Beta 10 Available
btmi
post Feb 20 2004, 05:31 PM
Post #1

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

I have just uploaded Beta 10 that fixes a problem with the OSD when Toggle Keys are used. The update is available at http://www.btmi.com.au/hip

The last thread was getting very long and so here are a summary of the outstanding issues (please post a message if it is OK on your setup)

1) Task-Bar Focus
Problem: The task bar is coming into focus when a key is pressed.
Possible Solutions:
a) Turn OFF the OSD
cool.gif The Enhanced Controller should be ON
c) Balloon Messages option is OFF
d) Hide Icon should be ON
Only an issue with myHTPC??

2) Application not getting keys
Problem: A couple of users have problems with application keys not being seen by HIP. This is related to the previous problem, where the focus is switching to the task bar and so keys are not being translated. I will install myHTPC to test this here.
Possible Solutions:
This issue will be resolved when I have got the COM-based IR option (outlined in another thread) unless I can find another way to arrest control of the window in focus.

3) Access Violation
Problem: An AV was generated when the enhanced controller was disabled.
Possible Solutions: Fixed??

Please report your experiences here (good and bad) and if you have a problem please send me your config file (???.hip) along with information about your setup to the email address in the Help documentation so I can get this sorted once and for all.

Peter
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
darro
post Feb 21 2004, 08:15 AM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: FAQ Maintainer
Member No.: 168
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

Peter,

Thanks for the update will give it a try.

My system went up the putty yesterday evening. I update all the MS hotfixes, installed hipb9, ran a new havest and replaced my video card (I had a loaner as my original one died). Now everytime I go into myhtpc epg, myhtpc goes to 100% cpu. So I expect to be spending some time on it today.

Cheers
Darren

PS, You wouldn't have a copy of beta2 around still ?

+Quote Post
btmi
post Feb 21 2004, 09:17 AM
Post #3

Forum Regular

My system went up the putty yesterday evening. I update all the MS hotfixes, installed hipb9, ran a new havest and replaced my video card (I had a loaner as my original one died).  Now everytime I go into myhtpc epg, myhtpc goes to 100% cpu.   So I expect to be spending some time on it today.  
PS,  You wouldn't have a copy of beta2 around still ?

Sorry, I don't but somebody else might. The original release is still available at http://www.btmi.com.au/DMX/HIPInstall.EXE.

CPU hogging is a big problem, and I have seen some things (especially some Girder plugins) that can really get upset if it is looking for a connection but none exists. Have you checked out the Task Manager to see what is using all of the CPU time? (click on the CPU column to sort the applications in that order). Once you find the culprit, remove it and start again. Have you alrady got a new Video card? I hope you got a Radeon!!

+Quote Post
darro
post Feb 21 2004, 09:22 AM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Yep,

mtHTPC is the main culprit. Like I said though only when viewing the EPG :? It takes ages for the screen to refresh. Don't think it is the XML engine, as I am pretty sure that it parses the data when it first loads.

No the video card is a nvidia, like I said it was my original card that had to be repaired. I get around to getting a radeon sometime soon.

Cheers
Darren

+Quote Post
Guest_Gear_*
post Feb 21 2004, 09:49 AM
Post #5

Guests

Any chance of of a setting to tell HIP what screen to come up on? I run 2 displays and the master control will only display on the display that has the taskbar.

TIA
Jeffrey

+Quote Post
Guest_Gear_*
post Feb 21 2004, 09:52 AM
Post #6

Guests

Yep,

mtHTPC is the main culprit. Like I said though only when viewing the EPG  :?    It takes ages for the screen to refresh.   Don't think it is the XML engine, as I am pretty sure that it parses the data when it first loads.    

No the video card is a nvidia,  like I said it was my original card that had to be repaired.  I get around to getting a radeon sometime soon.

Cheers
Darren

i'm having the same problem darren, had myhtcp epg working great one night then the next day started to do the same as what your getting.

Jeff

+Quote Post
darro
post Feb 21 2004, 10:06 AM
Post #7

Forum Regular

I'll be doing some debugging in the next hour or two. Can't be that hard to work out. I post the results.

Did you fix your issue ?

Cheers
Darren

+Quote Post
Guest_Gear_*
post Feb 21 2004, 10:12 AM
Post #8

Guests

I'll be doing some debugging in the next hour or two.  Can't be that hard to work out.  I post the results.

Did you fix your issue ?

Cheers
Darren

Not yet, this is the first chance i've had to have another play with it. I tried all the usually things eg reinstall xmxl sp2 etc.

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Feb 21 2004, 01:32 PM
Post #9

Guests

Peter,

I've just tried the latest beta, I am still having no luck (well, sort of). Through further testing, I have discovered that it appears that SOME of the commands are working. For instance, mute and vol up and down appear to be working fine. OSD and close application definately aren't though. Looks like a re-install of Windows might be in order.

A few questions:

How the hell do I get the config screen back if I have Hide Icon checked?

I'm also using a wireless IR keyboard - could this be causing a problem somehow?

How may USB Human Interface Devices do you have listed? The only USB device I am using is the remote, and I have two listed in device manager. Could this be the problem?

I couldn't get the power key to work as the master key - how did you do it? I though you said a couple of days ago that the power button wasn't recognised by HIP.

I'll send my config. file to your e-mail address.

Thanks,

Paul.

+Quote Post
darro
post Feb 21 2004, 02:25 PM
Post #10

Forum Regular

Sorry Peter for hijacking your thread for a moment,

Gear,

Ran up Filemon and found myHTPC going bananas in the c:program filesmyHTPCdatathumbnails directory. Had a look in here and found 65,534 file (sound at lot like a long integer doesn't it)

Deleted all the .tmp files and all is working a treat now.

Cheers
Darren

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post Feb 21 2004, 03:38 PM
Post #11

Guests

Nope a long integer would be 64 bits these days tongue.gif

Even int's are 32 bit ie 2 Gb or 4 Gb

So it's a short int ie 16bit = +/- 32k or 64k unsigned

+Quote Post
darro
post Feb 21 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #12

Forum Regular

Joeybloggs, haven't you go anything better to do than make everyone aware of my blunders !!! :oops: , Now get back to your coding....

+Quote Post
btmi
post Feb 22 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #13

Forum Regular

How the hell do I get the config screen back if I have Hide Icon checked?
Without a Master Key defined, there are only 2 possibilities...
1) Edit the HIP file and either delete the line
HideIcon=1
or change the value to 0
2) Delete the LASTFILE.TXT (which will stop HIP from automatically opening the last file)

I'm also using a wireless IR keyboard - could this be causing a problem somehow? How may USB Human Interface Devices do you have listed? The only USB device I am using is the remote, and I have two listed in device manager. Could this be the problem?

I have only one "HID Keyboard Device" listing, and so I think you may have found the problem . I have 2 different IR keyboards (Logitech and Chicony) and neither use HID as they plug directly into the the keyboard port. The fact that you cannot LEARN the power key (which is really essential) shows that someting else is grabbing this command before HIP can get its hands on it. I have a utility called CheckScanCode.exe which you can download from the HIP site with which you can see what the values of any pressed keys are. Without HIP running, if you run this program and press the POWER button, and you see nothing, then something else is in control.

With this scenario your only alternative would be to ditch HID/based IR input and go for a serial option.

I'll send my config. file to your e-mail address.

I got the config file and it looked OK apart from the fact that:

1) The Master Key is configured as the keypress 'c' and so if you type "cat" in ANY application HIP would take control. I have changed this back to its original value
2) There is no Path entered for VisionDTV (and so I presume HIP is in the same directory)

I have made the changes to the Master Key, and the Icon key and sent it back to you.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Feb 22 2004, 02:40 PM
Post #14

Forum Regular

Any chance of of a setting to tell HIP what screen to come up on?  I run 2 displays and the master control will only display on the display that has the taskbar.

TIA
Jeffrey

2 Screens!!!...wow.

I will add this in the next release.

+Quote Post
Guest_Gear_*
post Feb 22 2004, 07:33 PM
Post #15

Guests

Any chance of of a setting to tell HIP what screen to come up on?  I run 2 displays and the master control will only display on the display that has the taskbar.

TIA
Jeffrey

2 Screens!!!...wow.

I will add this in the next release.

Thanks

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Feb 22 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #16

Guests

Peter,

Thanks for your help. My keyboard and mouse also plug directly into the PS/2 ports, so I guess the problem is the 2 HID devices then. I'm assuming that the second one got added when I installed uICE. I will try disabling them one at a time to see if I can get it working. I will also download that program from your website and give it a shot.

Paul.

+Quote Post
darro
post Feb 23 2004, 07:06 PM
Post #17

Forum Regular

Peter,

I have only one "HID Keyboard Device" listing, and so I think you may have found the problem .  
I don't think this is the problem. I had two as well, for the same reason (installing uice). They are just two instances of the same MS HIP driver. This has been working fine for ages (well a month smile.gif ).

It was fine in beta 2 of Version 2, but seem to a problem in the next release i got, Which I think was version b4. This was the one which was to fix the tool bar being displayed when HIP detected myHTPC in the forground.

One small thing I have noticed though.  When HIP switches the taskbar becomes visible, myHTPC still has focus and when I press a button the taskbar goes away.  This does not happen on other apps,  like ZP, DW, DV etc only myHTPC.

It does seem to be a issue with myHTPC as I do not really experience the problem in other apps. Although you are doing much more navigation in myHTPC. I don't really get many missed keys at all in the other apps.

Another think I noticed is that even if myHTPC is not responding to the remote, pressing power will bring the HIP control up.

Just information for the pot. I wish I had not overwritten by v2 beta 2 now !

But thanks for everything.

Cheers
Darren

+Quote Post
btmi
post Feb 24 2004, 08:58 AM
Post #18

Forum Regular

I don't think this is the problem. I had two as well, for the same reason (installing uice).  They are just two instances of the same MS HIP driver.  This has been working fine for ages (well a month  :)  ).
You are right, I just found this on my home PC.

One small thing I have noticed though.  When HIP switches the taskbar becomes visible, myHTPC still has focus and when I press a button the taskbar goes away.  This does not happen on other apps,  like ZP, DW, DV etc only myHTPC.

Have you tried adding myHTPC as one of the applications in HIP? (no need to define any keys). If you do this, then when myHTPC has focus, all of the commands will go straight through.

Another thingI noticed is that even if myHTPC is not responding to the remote, pressing power will bring the HIP control up.

That is the whole idea...the master key is System Wide.

I had a case of duelling HIP when I playing with the softare that came with my Creative Audigy NX. Their OSD stated taking control of the system and so HIP was losing focus at every turn and so I can see your frustration. I will go back through my notes to see what could have possibly changed between Beta 2 and 4 to see if I can locate the problem.

I cannot wait for one of these IR Devices to arrive so I can get that side working.

Peter

+Quote Post
darro
post Feb 24 2004, 09:46 AM
Post #19

Forum Regular

Have you tried adding myHTPC as one of the applications in HIP? (no need to define any keys).  If you do this, then when myHTPC has focus, all of the commands will go straight through.
myHTPC is defined, it is the first app. but keys are defined.
Another thingI noticed is that even if myHTPC is not responding to the remote, pressing power will bring the HIP control up.

That is the whole idea...the master key is System Wide.

Yup aware of that. I guess what I was trying to explain, is a signal appears to be getting to HIP, but for some reason myhtpc just ain't listening.
I cannot wait for one of these IR Devices to arrive so I can get that side working.

Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Feb 24 2004, 10:59 PM
Post #20

Guests

Peter,

Tried your scan codes check program, and all the buttons on the remote are getting through fine, including the power button. However, I cannot make the master key in HIP the power button - it doesn't come up with anything! I have tried re-installing HIP, with no luck either. I might try the remote on another computer and see if it works.

Cheers.

UPDATE: Tried the remote and HIP on my main machine, can get the power button assigned to be the master key. Windows re-install is looking more and more necessary in my case for my HTPC (note here I'm NOT talking about myHTPC!!). I will try disabling all other running programs and re-installing the remote first though.

UPDATE NUMBER 2: SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously I am the only person running HIP in conjunction with WinDVD/DigiVision. The problem was a WinDVD program called Cinema Manager, which loads on Windows startup. I exited it using Task Manager, and the Power button is now recognised in HIP. The only problem now is that I can't get DigiVision to work at all. Have already tried re-installing WinDVD and DigiVision without success. :x. So I haven't had a chance to fully test this, but it seems to be the problem. Might have to go to DigitalWatch instead.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 05:27 PM