3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Beta Version of HIP Available
Guest_Elroy_*
post Feb 19 2004, 02:20 AM
Post #21

Guests

Peter,

Just finished having a look at the latest build. Looks like it has all the features that have been requested. However, I am having the same problem as others (and more!). So far tonight I have had:

It working perfectly! (Don't ask me how - I have been trying to replicate this for about 2 hours without success sad.gif)

Access violations (when I turned the master key thing off)

Taskbar stealing focus

No effect of keypresses. What I mean by this is that the OSD is coming up, but it is not actually having any effect on the program. It is almost like the keypresses aren't getting "translated" to the target program (in this case, DigiVision). Only every second keypress brings up the OSD. This is the stage that I am stuck at now.

Seems like all the features are now there - it is just the functionality of these that is required. Hopefully you will be able to find some time to look into it!

Thanks,

Paul.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_dormston_*
post Feb 19 2004, 07:24 AM
Post #22

Guests

Could this be related to Ctrl and Alt problems that we have had with other programs.

I am not using HIP at the moment (just waiting for some early bugs to get ironed out then I am in there), but I found that when I was defining keys.ini in DW I had lots of issues where buttons would change keycode.

Tracked this down to be that Ctrl and Alt and Shift keypresses were not being released properly, so I had to define all keys with all combos of Ctrl Alt and Shift depressed to counter the problem.

Maybe each key needs to be scanned multiple times into HIP after other buttons have been used.

No idea if this is even close to right, but just some experience I have had with the remote doing weird things that sounds like it may relate.

Darryl

+Quote Post
Guest_dormston_*
post Feb 19 2004, 07:31 AM
Post #23

Guests

Didn't stress enough in the last post, that the features of the new improved HIP sound EXCELLENT. Can't wait to give it a burl once these initial hurdles are overcome.

I was about to shell out money for one of these:
http://www.hometheatercomputer.net/remote_...e_purchase.html 8)

But I will hold off now until I have given HIP a go. Girder integration is a particularly nice feature especially for myHTPC and Zoomplayer.

Thanks
Darryl

+Quote Post
nate
post Feb 19 2004, 08:02 AM
Post #24

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 169
Card: DNTV Quad

Tracked this down to be that Ctrl and Alt and Shift keypresses were not being released properly, so I had to define all keys with all combos of Ctrl Alt and Shift depressed to counter the problem.
You're not still having this trouble in DW 0.50 are you? I did fix it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_dormston_*
post Feb 19 2004, 08:04 AM
Post #25

Guests

No troubles at all.

Sorry should have mentioned that it is not an outstanding bug. Just thought BTMI may have run into the same issue as you. As I said though, could be way off the mark.

Darryl

+Quote Post
btmi
post Feb 19 2004, 11:18 AM
Post #26

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

It working perfectly! (Don't ask me how - I have been trying to replicate this for about 2 hours without success sad.gif)
Don't you hate that!! It could be that a reboot was required after the install to ensure that the correct version of the dll was being read.

Sorry not quite sure what you mean....does the access violation occur when the contrller is closed?

Taskbar stealing focus
I will add an option in the next build that does not add a HIP Icon to the system tray to see if that is the cause of the problem.

No effect of keypresses. What I mean by this is that the OSD is coming up, but it is not actually having any effect on the program. It is almost like the keypresses aren't getting "translated" to the target program (in this case, DigiVision).

This is certainly a focus issue which may be due to a timer problem...I am looking into it.

Peter

+Quote Post
btmi
post Feb 19 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #27

Forum Regular

Didn't stress enough in the last post, that the features of the new improved HIP sound EXCELLENT.  Can't wait to give it a burl once these initial hurdles are overcome.

I was about to shell out money for one of these:
http://www.hometheatercomputer.net/remote_...e_purchase.html      8)  

But I will hold off now until I have given HIP a go.  Girder integration is a particularly nice feature especially for myHTPC and Zoomplayer.

Thanks
Darryl

Nice remote...problem is that I do not want a RF remote as I like to integrate all of my remotes into my MX500. I am looking at adding COM IR support for HIP rather than using the VP remote, as the problems of keyboard emulation are sometimes hard to overcome.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Feb 19 2004, 11:25 AM
Post #28

Forum Regular

Could this be related to Ctrl and Alt problems that we have had with other programs.

Not likely. My problem was that HIP was interpreting ^H as Ctrl H when it should have been Ctrl Shift H (if you wanted the former as ^h). The key sender routine ceratinly send both down and up keyboard messages, but sometimes there can be problems if an application starts manipulating the the message queue directly resulting in commands out of sequence.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Feb 19 2004, 01:40 PM
Post #29

Forum Regular

I have installed the next Beta version of Hip at the following location:

http://www.btmi.com.au/hip/HipInstallBeta9.exe

For those of you with problems with the Taskbar, can you please ensure that you have the following preferences set:

Hip Control Panel
X Enhanced Hip Master Control (Checked)
X Hide Icon (Checked)

On Screen Display
O Show Balloon Message... (NOT Checked)

When HIP is running there will not be any Icon, and so if you want to configure it you have to use the option in the Enhanced Controller.

I have found and fixed a few possible causes of the AVs, but I will continue to test it with myHTPC over the next few days.

If you are regularly having problems with key mis-reads, can you also check that the batteries in the VP remote are in good shape. I have found that this configuration has very low tolerance to poor IR signals.

If you are continuing to have problems, can let me know what OS you are using as well any steps I can take to replicate the problem.

Peter

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Feb 19 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #30

Guests

Sorry not quite sure what you mean....does the access violation occur when the contrller is closed?

Sorry, I meant when I unchecked the Enhance Hip Master Control option. I wrote that around 12:30 last night, so what I wrote may not have been 100% coherent.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Feb 19 2004, 02:09 PM
Post #31

Forum Regular

Sorry, I meant when I unchecked the Enhance Hip Master Control option. I wrote that around 12:30 last night, so what I wrote may not have been 100% coherent

Don't apologise...it is 2.30pm and I am barely coherent.

Try the new Beta and let me know how you go.

One thing I have just realised, don't Turn off the Show Icon and also the Enhanced Controller, otherwise you won't be able to control HIP at all...

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Feb 19 2004, 03:29 PM
Post #32

Guests

Hopefully I'll get to try it out tonight and see how things go.

+Quote Post
btmi
post Feb 19 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #33

Forum Regular

Perhaps this should be in a new thread....

I have decided that I will offer a different way to communicate with the VP remote to your PC. I have found that using keyboard emulation can be problematic for a number of reasons:

1) Window Focus - naturally you do not want HIP to translate a keybaord command to something else unless that window currently has focus (something which is hard to guarantee in Windows)
2) Mixed Messages - the IR commands used by the Human Interface Parser seem to be pretty common and so if you press a key on a non-VP remote and hold it, the "repeat" commands are often picked up by the VP remote as a command (hence the mysterious channel changing).

So I am thinking seriously of providing a plugin for a usb or serial device such as IRMan http://www.evation.com/irman/ or IRA-2 http://www.home-electro.com/ira2.htm. The latter has an Oz distributor and it retails for around $35 (but I have just heard that it is out of stock as they prepare for the release of the next version).

Another alternative would be to use one of the DIY mods such as those that can be found here http://www.cesko.host.sk/girderplugin.htm. Having never really been a wiz at soldering, this is my least desirable choice.

The advantage of all of this is that you could use all of your existing remotes with the ease of Hip, and if Girder if necessary with the knowledge that the button presses will do exactly what they are intended to do!!

Is this worthwhile, and if so what hardware should I choose (I do not want to support them all!!)

+Quote Post
darro
post Feb 19 2004, 07:07 PM
Post #34

Forum Regular

Group: FAQ Maintainer
Member No.: 168
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

I have installed the next Beta version of Hip at the following location:
Thanks Peter biggrin.gif Will give it a try.
If you are regularly having problems with key mis-reads, can you also check that the batteries in the VP remote are in good shape.  I have found that this configuration has very low tolerance to poor IR signals.

Great suggestion. I'll look at this. I could have sworn the issue I am having is getting worse, and this may be the cause.

I need to look at getting a new remote, as lets face it the vp one is very basic and cheap (what do you expect). I would love to hear of other peoples experiences. I was looking at the on hometheatecomputer.net as well. I understand that the X-10 stuff will only work in the US though (110v?)

Cheers
Darren

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Feb 19 2004, 07:11 PM
Post #35

Guests

Peter,

My problem with that is that for the price you have to pay for one of those devices you have listed, it is probably possible to buy a completely new (and better!) remote.

It seems that the remote is supported by uICE (see http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthre...15&pagenumber=1 and http://www.hardwaresale.com.au/olshop/cata...&products_id=39, though I have yet to try this out. So it must be possible to get it to work, though it looks like a generic USB HID driver would have to be written (and I have absolutely no experience in programming). If we could get one wrriten it seems as though we could keep the current setups, and still have the ease and functionality of HIP and girder. Any takers? :wink: smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Feb 19 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #36

Guests

As sort of a followup to my previous post, as darro said, the vp remote is very ordinary. Perhaps it is better to consider finding a particular remote (i.e. remote and receiver) that is decent and writing the program for that??? My two suggestions off the top of my head are the MouseREMOTE http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_mk19a.htm or the ATi Remote Wonder (not sure if ATi sell this separately though).

Though I guess it would probably be better to get something like the IRMan so that users can use any remote of their choice. BTW, the IRMan can be bought here - http://www.hometheatrepc.com.au/product_in...&products_id=87 (they are Aussie distributors).

Just a couple more ideas - I'm not sure on the best way to go.

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post Feb 19 2004, 07:47 PM
Post #37

Guests

I downloaded the HID sample and SDK stuff from Intel developer support but quickly got bogged down. Not likely to revisit it as the remote does not offer pointing device functionality, which I need :?

+Quote Post
btmi
post Feb 19 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #38

Forum Regular

I downloaded the HID sample and SDK stuff from Intel developer support but quickly got bogged down. Not likely to revisit it as the remote does not offer pointing device functionality, which I need  :?

I did the same thing. The problem is that ID of the device is hardcoded and so it will always be a HID device, and to muck around with the software layer may break other hardware that uses this interface. BTW - congatulations on UltraDTV....I will download it and have a play once I get this sorted. Have you mapped the controls to the VP remote, or do you have your own (if you have your own, send me a list of keyboard shortcuts and I will add it to the list of predefined commands for HIP).

As far as the other postings are concerned, I already have too many remotes in my life (my wife would second that) and so I would prefer a receiver-only option which you can use the VP remote or any other, or as I have done, taught my MX500 the commands and use that. IRMan would certainly do the job, but I would prefer to pay $35 rather than $55.

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Feb 19 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #39

Guests

Peter,

I've had no further luck with the latest version of HIP. It seems as though the taskbar is still stealing focus. I did try it with the Hide Icon option checked. The icon disappeared, I could still bring up the master application box (the blue screen with the time that lets you choose whch app. you want to run) and I opened DigiVision, suggesting that HIP was working. However, when DigiVision opened the taskbar was still showing.

+Quote Post
Guest_Elroy_*
post Feb 19 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #40

Guests

I just had a thought - right click on the taskbar, > Properties, Uncheck "Keep Taskbar on top of other windows". Haven't tried it myself yet, but thought it might work.

EDIT: No dice. HIP brings the taskbar back to the foreground, even when hide icon is checked.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 02:04 AM