remby1
post May 19 2006, 01:03 AM
Post #1

Participant

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,419
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

Hi,

I believe the CLSID for the Cyberlink 6 (and 7) decoders is {8ACD52ED-9C2D-4008-9129-DCE955D86065}. The decoders.xml (DW2 V53) seems to have incorrect CLSID for Cyberlink 6 decoders, or am I missing something ?

Cheers,

Pete
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bear
post May 19 2006, 02:08 AM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Member No.: 808

The decoders.xml (DW2 V53) seems to have incorrect CLSID for Cyberlink 6 decoders, or am I missing something ?
Very possible, I think the CLSID is from decoders used in DNTVLive, I don't know if they were ver 6 though.

+Quote Post
hugh2
post Apr 17 2008, 02:44 AM
Post #3

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 9,992
Card: None

QUOTE (bear @ May 19 2006, 02:08 AM) *
Very possible, I think the CLSID is from decoders used in DNTVLive, I don't know if they were ver 6 though.

What's the reasoning behind having a "hard-coded" list of decoders anyway? Why not discover at runtime, what decoders the user has on their machine? That's what other PVR programs do AFAICT.

+Quote Post
bear
post Apr 17 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #4

Forum Regular

What's the reasoning behind having a "hard-coded" list of decoders anyway? Why not discover at runtime, what decoders the user has on their machine? That's what other PVR programs do AFAICT.
Very good question, I will try and answer with the following:
Having a list that is hard coded enables a user to fine tune what decoders are used. This removes the pain of relying on MS windows filter priority system and hence will allow DW to continue happily even after some application you install has decided that it's more efficent decoders are the best for your computer to use regardless of your other applications considerations.(Many other viewer applications also have this feature.)
DW2 does discover what decoders are in it's decoder list and selects the first one it finds that works during the inital running of the program. It does this by setting up and rendering to ensure that it can work and that all components are available to be used. If we were to discover all possible decoder combinations on a system when we start the application you would have time to make a cuppa and drink it before the application had started displaying a picture.
The idea was for DW to be a simple operating "lite weight" viewer with quick display uptake along with a quick channel change capability.

+Quote Post
hugh2
post Apr 17 2008, 07:14 PM
Post #5

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 9,992
Card: None

QUOTE (bear @ Apr 17 2008, 06:06 PM) *
This removes the pain of relying on MS windows filter priority system and hence will allow DW to continue happily even after some application you install has decided that it's more efficent decoders are the best for your computer to use regardless of your other applications considerations.

I didn't mean allowing Windoze to choose the decoder - that way leads to madness! Giving the user the choice is obviously good. I just thought that the list the user chooses from should be populated at runtime based on what's on their machine rather than at design time.
If we were to discover all possible decoder combinations on a system when we start the application you would have time to make a cuppa and drink it before the application had started displaying a picture.
The idea was for DW to be a simple operating "lite weight" viewer with quick display uptake along with a quick channel change capability.

I dunno... DVB Viewer populates the decoder list every time it's run and for me it only takes 2 seconds - to find 34 decoders! (I've tried out too many programs... not all filters are unique, eg there are many cyberlink decoder instances / versions).
It wouldn't affect channel changing.

+Quote Post
bear
post Apr 17 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #6

Forum Regular

I just thought that the list the user chooses from should be populated at runtime based on what's on their machine rather than at design time.
Yes that would have been an ideal to have it this way, The design at the time was to keep it simple and fixed to decoders that we knew worked.

DVB Viewer populates the decoder list every time it's run and for me it only takes 2 seconds - to find 34 decoders!
Finding the decoders is easy but needing to render to test them is slow.
It wouldn't affect channel changing
It can as not all decoders support all media formats, plus some decoders once set for a display format they are unable to change and result in weird effects.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2019 - 09:06 PM