> DNTV Scheduler Pro
4wd
post Sep 29 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #1

Participant

Group: New Members
Member No.: 6,953
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

Hi folks, I just noticed this with DNTV Scheduler Pro 2.0.8.2 but I don't get offered the option to scan for Melbourne TVM in the Auto Scan list, even though it appears in the stationdata.list file.

Sydney's TVS appears OK.

I've updated Java and reinstalled DNTV Scheduler Pro but it still won't appear.

This doesn't give a lot of confidence since a cheap HD-STB and an even cheaper DGTEC SD-PVR can both pick up TVM while the TinyTwin can't. (I've tried the TinyTwin on different computers at the same antenna points as the STB & PVR but it so far won't pick up TVM.)

First image is scan list for Melbourne, second is Sydney:
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Melbourne.jpg ( 6.87K ) Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  Sydney.jpg ( 7.2K ) Number of downloads: 2

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
renura
post Sep 29 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #2

Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 38
Card: None

QUOTE (4wd @ Sep 29 2010, 02:00 PM) *
Hi folks, I just noticed this with DNTV Scheduler Pro 2.0.8.2 but I don't get offered the option to scan for Melbourne TVM in the Auto Scan list, even though it appears in the stationdata.list file.

There is a small typo in the station data file, replace it with the attached and you should be fine
Attached File  stationdata.zip ( 17.5K ) Number of downloads: 7

This post has been edited by renura: Sep 29 2010, 03:45 PM

--------------------
Renura Enterprises Pty Ltd - Owner of DigitalNow and MediaNow- Importers, Distributors and Retailers of Digital TV and other Digital Multimedia Solutions

+Quote Post
4wd
post Sep 29 2010, 05:17 PM
Post #3

Participant

QUOTE (renura @ Sep 29 2010, 03:43 PM) *
There is a small typo in the station data file, replace it with the attached and you should be fine

Thanks, that fixed it.

Still won't tune it in though, unfortunately. Guess I'll have to put more work into the antenna.

+Quote Post
CharlesC
post Sep 30 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Member No.: 3,148
Card: DNTV Quad

QUOTE (4wd @ Sep 29 2010, 06:17 PM) *
Still won't tune it in though, unfortunately. Guess I'll have to put more work into the antenna.

If TVS in Melbourne is transmitted the same way as it is in Sydney, it will be using a very robust modulation method. This should pretty well guarantee you receive it OK, in particular if you are getting SBS (on a nearby frequency) correctly.

You are receiving from the main transmitter site, aren't you? The frequencies are as below.

This note came from here.
I think C31 in Melbourne is running with an offset.
557.625 MHz.

Main Broadcast Site
HSV VHF 6 Hor 177.5 MHz HSV-7 Tower Eyre Road MT DANDENONG
GTV VHF 8 Hor 191.625 MHz ATV-10 Tower Ornata Road MT DANDENONG
ATV VHF 11 Hor 219.5 MHz ATV-10 Tower Ornata Road MT DANDENONG
ABV VHF 12 Hor 226.5 MHz NTL (ABC-2) Tower Eyre Road MT DANDENONG
SBS UHF 29 Hor 536.625 MHz NTL (ABC-2) Tower Eyre Road MT DANDENONG
TVS (C31) UHF 32 Hor 557.625 MHz (2 week test, then permanent on Friday 11 June 2010)
3D trial UHF CH 35 Hor 578.5 MHz

+Quote Post
4wd
post Sep 30 2010, 05:10 PM
Post #5

Participant

QUOTE (CharlesC @ Sep 30 2010, 02:07 PM) *
If TVS in Melbourne is transmitted the same way as it is in Sydney, it will be using a very robust modulation method. This should pretty well guarantee you receive it OK, in particular if you are getting SBS (on a nearby frequency) correctly.

You are receiving from the main transmitter site, aren't you? The frequencies are as below.

I live in Kalorama, ~6km from the main transmitter towers on Mt Dandenong but unfortunately there's a great deal of trees between me and it, (technically in what the shire calls the Kalorama North Digital TV Reception Black Spot).
I know I need a better aerial but as I said in my OP, both a cheap HD-STB, (Highlander DH-2816), and a DGTEC PVR, (PVR-SD01), can receive TVM without a problem, (except for the occasional freeze when the wind sways the trees). The STB can even pick up the 3D trial OK.

I can only assume that the STB and PVR are a bit more sensitive than the TinyTwin.

The PVR is almost directly under the aerial, whereas the STB and TinyTwin are ~22m further, (Dual-Shield RG6 with F connectors everywhere). There's a DigiMatch 10MM-MA30P masthead amp which improved the reception a lot over the very old KingRay MHU34G.

I've tried the TinyTwin at the aerial socket for the PVR without luck, I might give it another go before replacing the aerial with something better, (ATM it's a cheap AntSig from Arlec).

+Quote Post
CharlesC
post Sep 30 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #6

Forum Regular

Member No.: 3,148
Card: DNTV Quad

QUOTE (4wd @ Sep 30 2010, 06:10 PM) *
I can only assume that the STB and PVR are a bit more sensitive than the TinyTwin.

Thanks for the extra info.

The STB and the PVR scan and auto tune themselves. It's under their control. The Tiny Twin (and other similar PC tuners) are controlled by whatever software you happen to be using to tune them. If parameters aren't correct, they may not tune.

Perhaps download a free copy of TSReader Lite and put in the frequencies shown above. See if you get a 'lock', and if the program comes through without errors.
You'll probably need to use the 'Generic DVB-T BDA' driver (or similar wording).

That would at least show that the tuner is able to tune to TVS.

At 6 kms from the transmitter, you may have too strong a signal. Or maybe many strong unwanted signals, such as ABC CH2 analogue and FM radio. Without putting a meter on the antenna distribution system, it's difficult to really know what's going on.

+Quote Post
4wd
post Oct 1 2010, 01:54 PM
Post #7

Participant

Well, of the DVB-T tuners I have, I get the following results at the closest outlet to the aerial using TSReaderLite, (good program, pity it doesn't quite fit into a 1024x600 display smile.gif :

AfaTech 9015 Chipset:
TinyTwin - All channels, ABC -> SBS @ 98-100% Quality. Any channel past SBS is not received at all - no indication of any channels being broadcast.
Maplin rebadged Twinhan 704JJ - Same as TinyTwin, (they are the same device).

Chipset unknown:
Compro U300 - What signal? Understandable, my experience with it has been the signal has to be: not too weak, not too strong but juuusssstttt rrriiiiggghhttt!

Phillips Chipset:
DigiNet DTV168 USB (Need to use it's own software as it's not even remotely BDA.) - All SD + HD channels, everything, no problems, zip, zero, nada.
DGTEC PVR-SD01 - All SD channels, no problem.

AfaTech 9013 Chipset:
Highlander DH2816 STB - All SD + HD channels, no problem.

So from this rather simple test it seems the TinyTwin/Twinhan has a rather sharp shoulder for frequencies above 536000kHz, (at my place anyway). Maybe I should just stick to Philips chipsets wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st March 2019 - 09:28 AM