IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DigitalNow TinyUSB 2 DVB-T under Linux, Getting the Linux drivers working
Guest_zylantha_*
post May 26 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #1

Guests

I've just received my new u-beaut TinyUSB 2 and went through the Linux driver installation... here's what I've found so far:

- The drivers are not in the 2.6.11 kernel distribution, not sure if they will be in 2.6.12 but they are in the linuxtv dvb cvs repository.

- Following the instructions included in the dvb-kernel cvs distribution you can use the makelinks script to replace the 2.6.11's dvb source with the dvb-kernel tree and then build the kernel as normal (using Gentoo's genkernel in my instance)

- The first time you load the drivers it's recognised as a 'DigitalNow TinyUSB 2 DVB-t Receiver'

- Firmware load failed in my instance at first, because despite having changed the default location of the firmware files, the old directory (/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware) still exists and the new directory (/lib/firmware) doesn't ... strange Gentoo behaviour, but easily rectified.

- Once you put the firmware in the correct spot, and the drivers auto-load the firmware, it's now recognised as a "Twinhan USB2.0 DVB-T receiver (TwinhanDTV Alpha/MagicBox II)" ... I guessed as such after previously seeing the error messages from the Tinymonitor application and looking on the Twinhan website. So it looks like it's a MagicBox II that has a custom firmware loaded - that is rather short-lived under Linux.

- After the drivers load, I got ... a lovely kernel oops, which was caused by having compiled with kernel preempt turned on ... unfortunately this is not working with the drivers so you will have to turn it off.

- A recompiled kernel with preempt turned off successfully loaded the drivers and presented the familiar demux0, dvr0, frontend0 and net0 devices in /dev/dvb

Excellent ... now I'm off to try a fresh install of MythTV, and call me stupid, but I'm going to brave 0.18 (after previously failing dismally with 0.17, like most others).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gshcarter
post Aug 23 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 316
Card: DNTV TinyTwin USB

QUOTE (zylantha @ May 26 2005, 10:35 PM)
I've just received my new u-beaut TinyUSB 2 and went through the Linux driver installation... here's what I've found so far:

- The drivers are not in the 2.6.11 kernel distribution, not sure if they will be in 2.6.12 but they are in the linuxtv dvb cvs repository.

- Following the instructions included in the dvb-kernel cvs distribution you can use the makelinks script to replace the 2.6.11's dvb source with the dvb-kernel tree and then build the kernel as normal (using Gentoo's genkernel in my instance)

- The first time you load the drivers it's recognised as a 'DigitalNow TinyUSB 2 DVB-t Receiver'

- Firmware load failed in my instance at first, because despite having changed the default location of the firmware files, the old directory (/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware) still exists and the new directory (/lib/firmware) doesn't ... strange Gentoo behaviour, but easily rectified.

- Once you put the firmware in the correct spot, and the drivers auto-load the firmware, it's now recognised as a "Twinhan USB2.0 DVB-T receiver (TwinhanDTV Alpha/MagicBox II)" ... I guessed as such after previously seeing the error messages from the Tinymonitor application and looking on the Twinhan website.  So it looks like it's a MagicBox II that has a custom firmware loaded - that is rather short-lived under Linux.

- After the drivers load, I got ... a lovely kernel oops, which was caused by having compiled with kernel preempt turned on ... unfortunately this is not working with the drivers so you will have to turn it off.

- A recompiled kernel with preempt turned off successfully loaded the drivers and presented the familiar demux0, dvr0, frontend0 and net0 devices in /dev/dvb

Excellent ... now I'm off to try a fresh install of MythTV, and call me stupid, but I'm going to brave 0.18 (after previously failing dismally with 0.17, like most others).

I'm not getting much success with 2.6.10 in Ubuntu Hoary. Breezy will have 2.6.12 but that's a couple of months away. I'll upgrade to 2.6.11 and give it a go. What actual drivers and FW does it use? The driver page doesn't list the Tiny USB as such.

--------------------

+Quote Post
renura
post Aug 23 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Enthusiast

Member No.: 38
Card: None

I'm not getting much success with 2.6.10 in Ubuntu Hoary. Breezy will have 2.6.12 but that's a couple of months away. I'll upgrade to 2.6.11 and give it a go. What actual drivers and FW does it use? The driver page doesn't list the Tiny USB as such.

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_USB

--------------------
Renura Enterprises Pty Ltd - Owner of DigitalNow and MediaNow- Importers, Distributors and Retailers of Digital TV and other Digital Multimedia Solutions

+Quote Post
gshcarter
post Aug 24 2005, 11:44 AM
Post #4

Forum Regular

I must be barking up the wrong tree. I'm following the guide at http://www.wi-bw.tfh-wildau.de/%7epboettch...e=dvb-usb-howto but 'make' gives me an error saying I need kernel 2.6.13-rc1!! That's out of the question with my distro. There has to be another way. mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
renura
post Aug 24 2005, 12:48 PM
Post #5

Enthusiast

QUOTE (chaumurky @ Aug 24 2005, 11:44 AM)
I must be barking up the wrong tree. I'm following the guide at http://www.wi-bw.tfh-wildau.de/%7epboettch...e=dvb-usb-howto but 'make' gives me an error saying I need kernel 2.6.13-rc1!! That's out of the question with my distro. There has to be another way.  mad.gif

Unfortunately, can't help. Have never used Linux.

--------------------
Renura Enterprises Pty Ltd - Owner of DigitalNow and MediaNow- Importers, Distributors and Retailers of Digital TV and other Digital Multimedia Solutions

+Quote Post
renura
post Aug 26 2005, 04:44 PM
Post #6

Enthusiast

Of course any of you who go through the process and get the device working under Linux, migh want to share your experiences smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
gshcarter
post Aug 29 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #7

Forum Regular

QUOTE (chaumurky @ Aug 24 2005, 11:44 AM)
I must be barking up the wrong tree. I'm following the guide at http://www.wi-bw.tfh-wildau.de/%7epboettch...e=dvb-usb-howto but 'make' gives me an error saying I need kernel 2.6.13-rc1!! That's out of the question with my distro. There has to be another way.  mad.gif

OK building against vanilla 2.6.13rc7 had a much better result. However I'm not getting the device nodes because I'm doing it in VMWare and it seems to only emulate USB1.1! I reckon it would work on a real machine. Here's the output:

CODE
[17179597.768000] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:12.0[A] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
[17179601.004000] dvb-usb: found a 'Twinhan USB2.0 DVB-T receiver (TwinhanDTV Alpha/MagicBox II)' in warm state.
[17179601.004000] dvb-usb: This USB2.0 device cannot be run on a USB1.1 port. (it lacks a hardware PID filter)
[17179601.004000] dvb-usb: Twinhan USB2.0 DVB-T receiver (TwinhanDTV Alpha/MagicBox II) error while loading driver (-19)
[17179601.004000] usbcore: registered new driver dvb_usb_vp7045

Wow, as I wrote this, 2.6.13 was released!! I'm gonna give this a go on the host machine!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
cartman_tmw
post Sep 28 2005, 01:39 PM
Post #8

Participant

Member No.: 704
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

QUOTE (chaumurky @ Aug 29 2005, 12:43 PM) *
Wow, as I wrote this, 2.6.13 was released!! I'm gonna give this a go on the host machine!! biggrin.gif

So how did this go? I tried a few weeks back but ran into troubles and left it running with an XP install. If it all worked, any hints on getting it all running with a vanilla 2.6.13?

+Quote Post
gshcarter
post Sep 30 2005, 09:47 AM
Post #9

Forum Regular

QUOTE (cartman_tmw @ Sep 28 2005, 01:39 PM) *
QUOTE (chaumurky @ Aug 29 2005, 12:43 PM) *

So how did this go? I tried a few weeks back but ran into troubles and left it running with an XP install. If it all worked, any hints on getting it all running with a vanilla 2.6.13?

IIRC 2.6.13 actually had the required modules included and didn't need the other DVB-kernel - you just needed to activate and build them. It was a while ago and I have gone back to an original Ubuntu kernel now so my Tiny's just sitting in a drawer. When Breezy is released and 2.6.13 is available there I'll give it another go. I do know one thing - it did work well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cartman_tmw
post Sep 30 2005, 09:54 AM
Post #10

Participant

Cool, sounds like it's almost time to give it another go. Cheers.

+Quote Post
cartman_tmw
post Oct 6 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #11

Participant

Woohoo! Early indications show that my recent upgrade of FC4 to 2.6.13 has the TinyUSB working great. I'm in the middle of going through the stages of MythTV setup and will report if there's anything interesting.

Important to note when installing the firmware is now it all should be at /lib/firmware as mentioned by zylantha.

Cheers

Edit: OK, picture and sound fine through mplayer. Able to pick up pretty much all the channels I've tried so far. Now I've tried setting up te second tuner from the twin and it just seems to hang. Can anyone shed any light on something I might be missing with setting up dual tuners in linux?

+Quote Post
Guest_heals1ic_*
post Oct 25 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #12

Guests

I also went through a difficult and time consuming process to install and have recognised by the kernel the twin usb tuners.

I have them running but have had trouble with mythtv picking up the devices. I don't think that the tuners are binding to the demux0, dvr0, frontend0 and net0 devices in /dev/dvb. These devices are not automatically created and I had to manually create them using a script I found in one of the great many forums that I have been using to research the installation of these devices.

Anyway should these devices (demux0, dvr0, frontend0 and net0 devices in /dev/dvb) automatically appear when the tuners are recognised by the kernel?

By the way I had to compile a 2.6.13.2 vanilla kernel to use them in fedora core 4 as FC4 only has 2.6.12.XX

+Quote Post
cartman_tmw
post Oct 25 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #13

Participant

In fact FC4 is now updated with 2.6.13 - doing a "yum install kernel" should give you the latest (kernel-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4 from what I can tell) kernel. For me this allowed me to successfully compile the latest cvs of linuxtv.

As for the devices being recreated, you can manually copy them into /etc/udev/devices/ after doing the initial install, as per the instructions found here

Should udev not play the game try a reboot, log in as root and run '/build/DVICO-Init.sh start' again. Check again for the existence of /dev/dvb/adapter0/ and if it is there copy it like this:

# cp -a /dev/dvb /etc/udev/devices/

Don't quote me on this being the exact thing you should be doing as I haven't ironed out my problems with the second tuner yet, but the site is definitely worth a browse with some hints for most DVB-T stuff on linux.

If you get any success I'm still looking for some hints of my own so please let us know how you've gone with any of this.

+Quote Post
Guest_pipedwho_*
post Nov 2 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #14

Guests

Has anyone here gotten the DNTV Twin tuners running as a pair yet? If not, I may turn on debugging and send a report to Patrick Boettcher.

I'm running Gentoo with a 2.6.14 kernel and a DNTV Twin USB DVB adapter. I can get each individual adapter working fine, but I can't get the second one in the pair working when both are plugged in at the same time.

The kernel recognises both devices and assigns a device node in the /dev/dvb/* heirarchy. ie. adapter0/* and adapter1/*.

Running the following command:

CODE
tzap -a 0 "ABC TV"

works fine and displays:

CODE
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
     tuning to 226500000 Hz
     video pid 0x0200, audio pid 0x028a
     status 00 | signal 3000 | snr 0000 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
     status 1f | signal 736c | snr caca | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
     status 1f | signal 9361 | snr cece | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
     status 1f | signal 734f | snr cece | ber 00000012 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
     status 1f | signal b362 | snr c3c3 | ber 00000005 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
     ...etc...

but, using the second adapter, the command:

CODE
tzap -a 1 "ABC TV"

only displays:

CODE
using '/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0'

then just hangs until the system panics with a kernel: null pointer reference

Obviously anything more complicated only dies faster.

I believe this is kernel/driver bug, but I'd like to know if anyone else has seen this.

cheers,
pw

+Quote Post
cartman_tmw
post Nov 17 2005, 01:34 AM
Post #15

Participant

Yep, that's what happened with mine as well. I've now also updated to 2.6.14 in FC4 in the hope that it miraculously fixes itself but it doesn't seem to have sad.gif

Did you get any further info from Patrick (or anyone else)?

+Quote Post
Guest_xlot_*
post Jan 15 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (pipedwho @ Nov 2 2005, 05:37 PM) *
Has anyone here gotten the DNTV Twin tuners running as a pair yet? If not, I may turn on debugging and send a report to Patrick Boettcher.

CODE
tzap -a 1 "ABC TV"

only displays:

CODE

I believe this is kernel/driver bug, but I'd like to know if anyone else has seen this.

cheers,
pw

I realise this threads over a month old.. but it seems to still be an ongoing issue. I have the same problem with the Twin DVB-T tuner.

I can tune with adapter0, but if I try adapter1, I get a hard lock and have to reset the computer.

I'm running Fedora Core 4 with 2.6.14 kernel.

Out of interest, are you getting the /dev/video0 device? I've been reading around and some udev rulesets for various DVB devices seem to explicitly make sure it's created. I don't have it, however I have 2 sets of devices in /dev/dvb/adapter1 and /dev/dvb/adapter0.

I'm on the verge of downloading sources for 2.6.15 unstable, and compiling a new kernel, but one of my goals with this HTPC is that I should only use packages so that upgrading is simplified (I've had enough of patching source trees and recompiling wink.gif

One thing I did spot is that the dmesg output from the modules states:

CODE
DVB: registering frontend 0 (Twinhan VP7045/46 USB DVB-T)...
DVB: registering frontend 1 (Twinhan VP7045/46 USB DVB-T)...

However, both frontend devices in /dev/dvb/* are frontend0.

While the two devices can be told apart by their parent adapterX node, I'm suddenly wondering if the source for the dvb_usb_vp7045 module is trying to refer to them as frontend0 and frontend1. Hmm, something to go investigate.

Does anyone have two USB tuners working successfully?

+Quote Post
Guest_xlot_*
post Jan 18 2006, 08:18 AM
Post #17

Guests

Hmm, to add to my previous post, I had a dig through yesterday's 2.6.16 release candidate kernel. From the changenotes at Kernel.org:

CODE
commit ac9ffb90b8d0d28e3d9e5b5a045ee870a6269b5f
Author: Michael Krufky <mkrufky@m1k.net>
Date:   Wed Jan 11 23:21:00 2006 -0200

V4L/DVB (3350): Added USB ID for DigitalNow DVB-T Dual USB, DViCO clone

- Added USB ID for DigitalNow DVB-T Dual USB,
    DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual USB clone

I grabbed the patch that was applied when making the 2.6.16 tree. I suspect building and isntalling the full 2.6.16 kernel will break a bunch of things (no ATI driver support for 2.6.16 kernal modules, for example), so as a backup plan I'll patch my 2.6.14 kernel and try that. The patch is:

CODE
--- drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/cxusb.c
+++ drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/cxusb.c
@@ -451,6 +451,8 @@
        { USB_DEVICE(USB_VID_DVICO, USB_PID_DVICO_BLUEBIRD_LGZ201_WARM) },
        { USB_DEVICE(USB_VID_DVICO, USB_PID_DVICO_BLUEBIRD_TH7579_COLD) },
        { USB_DEVICE(USB_VID_DVICO, USB_PID_DVICO_BLUEBIRD_TH7579_WARM) },
+        { USB_DEVICE(USB_VID_DVICO, USB_PID_DIGITALNOW_BLUEBIRD_DEE1601_COLD) },
+        { USB_DEVICE(USB_VID_DVICO, USB_PID_DIGITALNOW_BLUEBIRD_DEE1601_WARM) },
        {}        /* Terminating entry */
};
MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE (usb, cxusb_table);
@@ -567,12 +569,16 @@
        }
    },

-    .num_device_descs = 1,
+    .num_device_descs = 2,
    .devices = {
        {   "DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual USB",
            { &cxusb_table[3], NULL },
            { &cxusb_table[4], NULL },
        },
+        {   "DigitalNow DVB-T Dual USB",
+            { &cxusb_table[9],  NULL },
+            { &cxusb_table[10], NULL },
+        },
    }
};

--- drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dvb-usb-ids.h
+++ drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dvb-usb-ids.h
@@ -95,6 +95,8 @@
#define USB_PID_DVICO_BLUEBIRD_TH7579_WARM        0xdb11
#define USB_PID_DVICO_BLUEBIRD_DEE1601_COLD        0xdb50
#define USB_PID_DVICO_BLUEBIRD_DEE1601_WARM        0xdb51
+#define USB_PID_DIGITALNOW_BLUEBIRD_DEE1601_COLD    0xdb54
+#define USB_PID_DIGITALNOW_BLUEBIRD_DEE1601_WARM    0xdb55
#define USB_PID_MEDION_MD95700                0x0932
#define USB_PID_KYE_DVB_T_COLD                0x701e
#define USB_PID_KYE_DVB_T_WARM                0x701f

QUOTE (xlot @ Jan 15 2006, 06:21 PM) *
QUOTE (pipedwho @ Nov 2 2005, 05:37 PM) *

CODE
tzap -a 1 "ABC TV"

only displays:

CODE

cheers,
pw

I realise this threads over a month old.. but it seems to still be an ongoing issue. I have the same problem with the Twin DVB-T tuner.

I can tune with adapter0, but if I try adapter1, I get a hard lock and have to reset the computer.

I'm running Fedora Core 4 with 2.6.14 kernel.

Out of interest, are you getting the /dev/video0 device? I've been reading around and some udev rulesets for various DVB devices seem to explicitly make sure it's created. I don't have it, however I have 2 sets of devices in /dev/dvb/adapter1 and /dev/dvb/adapter0.

I'm on the verge of downloading sources for 2.6.15 unstable, and compiling a new kernel, but one of my goals with this HTPC is that I should only use packages so that upgrading is simplified (I've had enough of patching source trees and recompiling wink.gif

One thing I did spot is that the dmesg output from the modules states:

CODE
DVB: registering frontend 0 (Twinhan VP7045/46 USB DVB-T)...
DVB: registering frontend 1 (Twinhan VP7045/46 USB DVB-T)...

However, both frontend devices in /dev/dvb/* are frontend0.

While the two devices can be told apart by their parent adapterX node, I'm suddenly wondering if the source for the dvb_usb_vp7045 module is trying to refer to them as frontend0 and frontend1. Hmm, something to go investigate.

Does anyone have two USB tuners working successfully?

+Quote Post
renura
post Jan 18 2006, 09:09 AM
Post #18

Enthusiast

Hi xlot,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the info
Unfortunately my Linux skills/knowledge are non existent, so can't offer much help with it.

Hope all goes well for you smile.gif

Cheers

Renura

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_xlot_*
post Jan 18 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #19

Guests

QUOTE (renura @ Jan 18 2006, 10:09 AM) *
Hi xlot,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the info
Unfortunately my Linux skills/knowledge are non existent, so can't offer much help with it.

Hope all goes well for you smile.gif

Cheers

Renura

No worries Renura, thanks for the welcome smile.gif

I've been lurking for a couple of months here and the dba/dtv forums.. while I planned my attack on dvb-t - I'm mainly posting so that there's a trail of information in case others hit the same snags.

And give linux a try.. even if its just the Knoppmyth live-cd (which has a pretty smooth setup). Myth's software is very nice for a dedicated HTPC box.. much nicer than my mother-in-law's MCE pc wink.gif

+Quote Post
renura
post Jan 18 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #20

Enthusiast

Yes I have to make the time and give linux a go smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st March 2019 - 10:17 AM