> Confused About "Post Message" Command
RussellS
post Jan 31 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #1

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 13,126
Card: None

Hi, I am trying to use HIP to control TheaterTek DVD with an MCE remote and have come across a few problems which, hopefully, someone can help me out with.

The bulk of the controls are working fine. The area I am having trouble with is where a separate window comes up, for example, the media browser window or the custom aspect ratio control window. When either of these windows are present then the controls are not passed to these windows. I have checked with the "Show Classes" option in HIP but it doesn't show any other window class active when either of these windows are active in TheaterTek. It still only shows the one window class "TTWndClass". I have also used the Active Window utility but, again, it doesn't show any other windows except the original TheaterTek window. So I can only assume that when the media select or aspect ratio windows are active they are stealing focus and stopping the commands getting through.

I have therefore come to the conclusion that I need to use the "Post Message" command in HIP. However, this is where I'm getting stuck as I can't find much information on this functionality. I think I understand the principles involved but, what I don't understand, is how I find out what values I need to put in for Message, WParam & LParam. I found it briefly mentioned in the HIP/GBPVR tutorial but it didn't go into any detail.

Is there any documentation on this functionality or a tutorial available or can anybody give me a bit of guidance on this please.

Many thanks

Russell
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
btmi
post Feb 1 2010, 08:50 AM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

Not all applications have support for the alternate methods of control and so your first stop to answer these questions would be to ask the TheaterTek guys if there are non-keyboard methods for controlling the software like Window's messaging or COM controls, and if so you will need some documentation on these commands because there are no industry standards here. There is no point in trying to emulate keyboard commands with post commands because a keystroke is a minimum of three windows messages.

I am pretty sure that your thinking as to why it is not working is correct. If you enter the TTWndClass in Hip then all input will be directed at that window whether or not it is focus, and this is probably not what you need. If the other windows cannot be seen in ActiveWin (even with the Show Hidden Windows checkbox marked) then it will be hard to direct any post messages to them.

One thing you can try is to make the commands that do not work System-Wide commands so that when the remote buttons are pressed they will work whatever is in focus.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 01:42 PM