Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Use Dntv On A Dual-view Setup?
Guest_scottchicken_*
post Sep 21 2005, 07:36 AM
Post #1

Guests

Hi all,

I've gotten myself a new PC (X2 dual core with 1TB RAID0 HD) and am trying to fiddle around with the DNTV app. The video card in use is a NVIDIA 6600GT that has both DVI and VGA out, I'm using the DVI for my monitor, and the VGA goes to my Loewe 84cm widescreen CRT TV, which has a VGA input.

I've purchased PowerStrip, which let's me adjust the resolutions and refresh rate of the VGA output from the normal 640x480, as the Loewe VGA module allows much higher resolutions. Therefore I am using the "dual-view" function, as opposed to "clone view" i.e. the TV is an extended desktop, as opposed to a cloned desktop.

Every other application I use, including media players like PowerDVD etc, I can simply right click on them in the taskbar, and select the nView option to send the window to the other display i.e. the Loewe TV.

DNTV doesn't appear to let me do this. The only way to get it over there is dragging it, but then it is still in a window thinking it is on a 4x3 display.

Does anyone else have a similar settup and can offer a good way to do this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter Dewildt
post Sep 21 2005, 10:31 AM
Post #2

Participant

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,215
Card: DNTV Live! Low Profile

The standard way to start an application on another monitor is to start the application and quickly move the mouse to the desired monitor.

I also found with DNTV that it remembered the last monitor it was running on. So start DNTV, move to desired monitor, stop it, then start it again.

+Quote Post
Guest_scottchicken_*
post Sep 21 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (Peter Dewildt @ Sep 21 2005, 10:31 AM) *
The standard way to start an application on another monitor is to start the application and quickly move the mouse to the desired monitor.

I also found with DNTV that it remembered the last monitor it was running on. So start DNTV, move to desired monitor, stop it, then start it again.

This does appear to do the trick, but their is no video in the display when on that screen - I can hear the audio, and if I drag the app back to my monitor can see the video, but on the other display just a black screen (even though the OSD with channel info now & next and res etc comes up).

Some sort of overlay thing?

+Quote Post
Guest_jakes_*
post Sep 22 2005, 09:23 AM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (scottchicken @ Sep 21 2005, 10:57 PM) *
Some sort of overlay thing?

Yep, the DNTV software uses overlay to display video and the overlay will only show on the monitor you have set as primary. To see the video on the second monitor, you'll have to swap their settings as primary and secondary.
To see the video on both monitors DNTV Live would have to use VMR, which at this stage isn't possible, I don't think.

+Quote Post
DavoNogo
post Sep 22 2005, 12:31 PM
Post #5

Forum Regular

Member No.: 2,804
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

QUOTE (jakes @ Sep 22 2005, 09:23 AM) *
To see the video on both monitors DNTV Live would have to use VMR, which at this stage isn't possible, I don't think.

Not quite.. I've had DNTV Live! running on two monitors simultaneously with an ATi card

+Quote Post
Guest_jakes_*
post Sep 22 2005, 03:42 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (DavoNogo @ Sep 22 2005, 12:31 PM) *
QUOTE (jakes @ Sep 22 2005, 09:23 AM) *

Not quite.. I've had DNTV Live! running on two monitors simultaneously with an ATi card

DavoNogo, is that an ATI only thing, or should it be possible to reproduce with an NVIDIA card. I was under the impression that overlay would only ever display on the primary monitor?

+Quote Post
nate
post Sep 22 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #7

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 169
Card: DNTV Quad

QUOTE (jakes @ Sep 22 2005, 03:42 PM) *
DavoNogo, is that an ATI only thing, or should it be possible to reproduce with an NVIDIA card. I was under the impression that overlay would only ever display on the primary monitor?
This is from memory, so i could be wrong, and may not even be relavent to your situation, but i think it's actually a limitation of using TV-Out. If you're just using VGA and DVI in extended desktop mode then it should work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_jakes_*
post Sep 22 2005, 05:03 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (nate @ Sep 22 2005, 04:46 PM) *
This is from memory, so i could be wrong, and may not even be relavent to your situation, but i think it's actually a limitation of using TV-Out. If you're just using VGA and DVI in extended desktop mode then it should work.

Right, fair enough, I'm using component tv out and VGA, so it probably does apply to me. Thanks for pointing that out.

+Quote Post
Guest_scottchicken_*
post Sep 22 2005, 07:12 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (jakes @ Sep 22 2005, 05:03 PM) *
QUOTE (nate @ Sep 22 2005, 04:46 PM) *

Right, fair enough, I'm using component tv out and VGA, so it probably does apply to me. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm not using tv out but VGA out (for the TV) and DVI out (for the monitor)... I swear when I first got the VGA card installed in the TV and tested DNTV that I had it running on the TV while in dual-view mode (extended desktop). But what with all the different nView NVIDIA options, PowerStrip options, I just don't remember the setup.

Unless someone has the same config as me I will just have to try every combo until I hit the one that works at the VGA resolution and refresh rate I want.

Cheers for the discussion!

+Quote Post
Peter Dewildt
post Sep 23 2005, 09:09 AM
Post #10

Participant

Member No.: 3,215
Card: DNTV Live! Low Profile

I have two monitors - one DVI (secondary) and one VGA (primary).

When I first installed DNTV, it displayed on the primary monitor (as expected). When I dragged it to the secondary monitor, the picture was black.

I found that all I had to do was drag the window to the secondary monitor (with a black picture). Then I exited DNTV. The next time I started DNTV it remembered which monitor it was on and it started on the secondary monitor (but with a proper picture).

+Quote Post
Guest_robsta_*
post Jan 8 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #11

Guests

Hi, I'm having similar problems to the OP, but with a different setup. I have a Sony Vaio notebook with nVidia GeForce Go 6200 onboard. With the notebook display as the primary, and an LCD panel hooked up via the notebook's VGA connector as the secondary display.

I'm using a TinyUSB2 with DNTV Live! v1.1.9 and 1.0.4.8 drivers

DNTV Live! works perfectly on the primary display, but get a black square on the secondary display.

I've tried swapping the primary/secondary displays, and got DNTV working OK on the LCD panel that way (but then wouldn't work on the notebook display when this was setup as secondary), but I'd prefer to have the notebook display as the primary.

I've also tried starting DNTV, dragging it over to the secondary and re-starting DNTV, which seemed to work for the poster above, but always get the same result, just a black square.

Also, I can play a recorded show on either primary or secondary display without problem, but not live TV.

Any ideas?

+Quote Post
Guest_Mcrackn_*
post Jan 9 2006, 07:09 AM
Post #12

Guests

I've got 2 monitors set up with VGA and I don't have any problems running DNTV Live in window or fullscreen mode on either monitors. The only time I see black is when dragging from one to the other but it quickly comes right or if I have it half on one screen and half on the other. I'm using an Ati card.

+Quote Post
Guest_spaus_*
post Jan 11 2006, 03:32 PM
Post #13

Guests

hi

I have the same problem as above with a nvidia 6600gt card. As a previous post pointed out you can go to a media file right click on the file and identify where that type of file should play (which monitor) then when you open dntv on that monitor it also shows tv. Bit I have a problem where dntv live won't show me the channel menu in this mode? So now I just switch the primary display to what ever monitor I want to use at the time for dntv live through the nvidia control panel.

sp

+Quote Post
DavoNogo
post Jan 11 2006, 11:18 PM
Post #14

Forum Regular

Member No.: 2,804
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

QUOTE (spaus @ Jan 11 2006, 04:32 PM) *
hi

I have the same problem as above with a nvidia 6600gt card. As a previous post pointed out you can go to a media file right click on the file and identify where that type of file should play (which monitor) then when you open dntv on that monitor it also shows tv. Bit I have a problem where dntv live won't show me the channel menu in this mode? So now I just switch the primary display to what ever monitor I want to use at the time for dntv live through the nvidia control panel.

sp

Use the remote smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 03:20 AM