Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which capture type is best?
Guest_wust_*
post Jun 5 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #1

Guests

Hi,

Just started using Web Scheduler, (like it alot... found alot of useful tips here) and I was wondering what the different capture types do?

I have used the default TS Mux(?), but I end up with huge files and then have to process them to be able to use them as desired.

I ultimately want to produce either DVD's or XviD type files that can easily be played back - which type would be best for this?

Also, does the most appropriate type require more processor power? (is there a trade off in other words)

Thanks!

Stu smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daniel
post Jun 6 2005, 10:38 AM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 180
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

i like dvr-ms the best because of the way it handles bits of bad reception. I dont mean recption thats bad all the time but momentary gitches in the signal from stuff like bad weather and i guess other interference from electrical equipment. When using the other recording options like TS i would have troubles during playback and have to skip past sections of a recording to get it to work. Since switching to dvr-ms, at least 5months ago, i havnt had a single recording failure and all play back fine without the need for me to get passed the glitches. An occosional 1/2second hiccup from the moment of bad reception and playback continues.
As far as backup to DVD format i just did my first one yesterday which turned out to be fairly quick and easy. Not sure if its the easiest or best way to do it but I did the following with these free programs:
* used DVRtoMPG to convert dvr-ms to mpg
* used ProjectX to demux
* used cuttermaran to edit out the adds
* ifoedit to mux and create the vobs and other dvd stuff
* burnt it to dvd with regular burning software
none of those programs did any reencoding so each step was quick. havn't tried it on a regular set top dvd player but it works on my computer.

EDIT: i noticed when using cuttermaran i think it can also output a project file(forget the name) that can be used in something like gordian knot which u can then use to create an xvid copy or even better a x264 copy.

+Quote Post
ajhubble
post Jun 7 2005, 01:12 PM
Post #3

Forum Regular

Member No.: 2,689
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

I've found that the problem with DVR-MS is that you can't seem to open up the file for playback while it is still being recorded to. Which rules it out for me. I use TS Mux since I can just use DVRview to play it straight from WS hassle-free. I don't need to burn my recordings to DVD.

+Quote Post
alfw
post Jun 7 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #4

Participant

Member No.: 2,437
Card: DNTV Live! Low Profile

I also prefer TS Mux as I find I can play it straight from WS using Zoom Player, or like ajhubble, DVRview. VLC also seems to play TS Mux on the fly and may be able to stream to other PCs as well - not too sure, more tests needed.

+Quote Post
toast
post Jun 7 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #5

Participant

Member No.: 536

The thing I don't like about DVR-MS is that PowerDVD which I use for playback at 150% speed (which also fixes the pitch of the audio back to normal) doesn't recognise that DVR-MS has a pixel ratio of 16:9 so it looks all square, so I don't like having to resize it.

PowerDVD also doesn't like TS which is crappy sad.gif

it only likes mpeg, either SS or DNTV Live!

However if i'm wanting to record something to DVD, then i do use TS because that's got a better track record of keeping the audio and video in sync and has other time fixing thingies that mpeg doesnt.

DVR-MS may too, but who wants to do an EXTRA step.. of DVR-MS -> mpeg -> projectX -> mpeg2schnitt -> DVD

when you can remove the first step without any real loss.

+Quote Post
a_a
post Jun 8 2005, 09:21 AM
Post #6

Forum Regular

Member No.: 2,180
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

QUOTE (ajhubble @ Jun 7 2005, 01:12 PM)
I've found that the problem with DVR-MS is that you can't seem to open up the file for playback while it is still being recorded to. Which rules it out for me.

I'm currently using DVR-MS and can play back the files while recording without issue. It depends how the WS service is set up... smile.gif

+Quote Post
ajhubble
post Jun 8 2005, 10:36 AM
Post #7

Forum Regular

Member No.: 2,689
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

QUOTE (a_a @ Jun 8 2005, 10:21 AM)
I'm currently using DVR-MS and can play back the files while recording without issue. It depends how the WS service is set up... smile.gif

How strange. Is this a login user privileges issue? I use my HTPC in administrator mode (which is the normal WinXP mode I take it) and I can't open up a currently recording DVR-MS file in (for example) WMP9. But I haven't actually tried it in a while, so I may be out of date...

+Quote Post
null_pointer
post Jun 8 2005, 12:02 PM
Post #8

Web Scheduler Developer

Group: Developers
Member No.: 9
Card: None

you need to set the service to run as a user preferably the same user that you are logged in as.

+Quote Post
Guest_Quorce_*
post Jun 9 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #9

Guests

I've found that WinDVD Creator, included with the DNTVLive card, does an excellent job of burning DVR-MS files to DVD or even converting them to mpeg files that you can demux and edit.

I prefer TS mux because it captures both audio streams so that I can put both into my DVD so that on my home dvd I can select which audio channel I want: AC3 or mpa for my surround sound system.

+Quote Post
paul_ahb
post Jun 9 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #10

Forum Regular

Member No.: 1,030

I have started to fill in the wiki page for web scheduler on this topic
http://wiki.dvbowners.com/index.php/Web_Scheduler
http://wiki.dvbowners.com/index.php/Web_Sc...cording_formats

Does this capture everyones sentiments on recording formats?

Paul

+Quote Post
nate
post Jun 9 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #11

DigitalWatch Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 169
Card: DNTV Quad

QUOTE (paul_ahb @ Jun 9 2005, 02:03 PM)

I added some advantages and disadvantages for the Full TS capture type.

Also updated the "playable in most players" advantage of TS Mux to mention the TSFileSource and HDTVPump filters since at least one of them is needed for most directshow players.

Is mpgmux still limited to mpeg audio or does it accept ac3 now?

--------------------

+Quote Post
paul_ahb
post Jun 10 2005, 02:18 PM
Post #12

Forum Regular

Member No.: 1,030

QUOTE (nate @ Jun 9 2005, 04:33 PM)
Is mpgmux still limited to mpeg audio or does it accept ac3 now?

I am not aware of a newer version, so I suppose it is as always was.

Paul

+Quote Post
Guest_wust_*
post Jun 11 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (paul_ahb @ Jun 9 2005, 03:03 PM)
http://wiki.dvbowners.com/index.php/Web_Scheduler
http://wiki.dvbowners.com/index.php/Web_Sc...cording_formats

Does this capture everyones sentiments on recording formats?

Paul

Now that's just what I needed!

Thanks! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_MWP_*
post Jun 11 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #14

Guests

I use TS Mux (type 0).
Mainly becuse i can then record a channel and not need to worry about what format it is in (SDTV or HDTV) until i want to chop adds and encode it to DivX.

For example, if you record a Ch9 HDTV prog that is on during the day, sometimes the HDTV demonstration will be playing instead of what you want to record.

So i record the lot, better to be safe than sorry.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2018 - 07:31 AM