IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can DNTV Scheduler Pro record freom a HDMI source?
therat
post May 7 2017, 10:49 PM
Post #1

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,165
Card: DNTV Quad

I have DNTV Scheduler Pro setup and working perfectly but I recently got an Apple TV that plugs into the HDMI IN port on my computer. Is there any way to record the output from the Apple TV using DNTV Scheduler Pro?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DrP
post May 24 2017, 09:32 AM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Member No.: 57
Card: DNTV tinyUSB

Not directly answering your question, but a few things to consider...

Is it really an 'in' port, ie it's a capture card, or is it a port that allows you to display an external HDMI source on the computer's monitor. Several all-in-one style computers have this option but you can't capture with it, nor do anything else with either.

The next stumbling point would be HDCP. Apple TV players support HDCP on the output. I'm not sure if its forced on for all content, or just content that specifically requests it. Pretty much all capture devices do not support HDCP so you may find that, even if the port is a capture port, you will need additional hardware to strip the HDCP. Such items are fairly readily available - ebay search for a HDMI splitter box and then Google search to see if it is also a HDCP stripper.

Now for the actual question...

If it is a capture port and presents itself as if it were an analogue capture card, I can't see why DNTV's analogue capture support wouldn't work, if you have all the requisite MPEG2 encoders etc installed. Crank up virtualdub in capture mode and see if it can connect to the HDMI capture device and display a picture. If it can there's, IMO, a pretty good chance DNTV will work too.

--------------------
Looking for an alternative to TV Scheduler Pro? Take a look at dvscheduler for Windows or tvheadend for linux.

+Quote Post
therat
post May 24 2017, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Forum Regular

Many thanks foir the indepth feedback DrP.

The laptop is an Alienware M18x R2 so the HDMI IN is not a capture card just used to stream video from third party devices such as XBox, PS4 on to the laptops screen. Apparently gamers use it to capture parts of games ( I can only assume using screen capture programs).

Basically that is what i want to do, connect my AppleTV and capture video and sound on my laptop.

I doubt HDCP will be an issue but it might.

Any suggestions on a reliable screen capture program? VLC is the only one I can find that might work. Still have to try it first.

cheers
rat

+Quote Post
DrP
post May 25 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #4

Forum Regular

QUOTE (therat @ May 24 2017, 08:56 PM) *
Any suggestions on a reliable screen capture program? VLC is the only one I can find that might work. Still have to try it first.

I've grabbed SD analogue via a DV bridge for many moons and largely side stepped all the problems with video capture and Windows as a result. In the late 90s I did have a Matrox card and went through many programs trying to find decent software but never really did. I guess it comes down to what you are trying to do, ie why capture the ATV's output.

www.videohelp.com has a list of capture programs that may do a good job of screen capture. From what I can tell though, the HDMI in is not accessible from the PC. All it does is let you use the display as a monitor / speakers.

If archive / recode is the game virtualdub (or one of the derivatives) is probably still worth looking at for a captre device.

Perhaps a so called 'dvb-t modulator' might be the way to go. HDMI in, RF out suitable for stream dumping via a USB dvb-t receiver like any other broadcast. There's a whole slew of HDMI standalone capture boxes too that write to USB fllash / HDD / etc.

ebay, search 'dvb-t modulator' as well as 'hdmi capture' returns a range of devices / prices. Picture Quality unknown though.

This post has been edited by DrP: May 25 2017, 09:26 PM

--------------------
Looking for an alternative to TV Scheduler Pro? Take a look at dvscheduler for Windows or tvheadend for linux.

+Quote Post
therat
post May 25 2017, 10:38 PM
Post #5

Forum Regular

QUOTE (DrP @ May 25 2017, 08:35 PM) *
I've grabbed SD analogue via a DV bridge for many moons and largely side stepped all the problems with video capture and Windows as a result. In the late 90s I did have a Matrox card and went through many programs trying to find decent software but never really did. I guess it comes down to what you are trying to do, ie why capture the ATV's output.

I want to record/capture the shows on the AppleTV like a STB/PVR

www.videohelp.com has a list of capture programs that may do a good job of screen capture. From what I can tell though, the HDMI in is not accessible from the PC. All it does is let you use the display as a monitor / speakers.

Bummer

Perhaps a so called 'dvb-t modulator' might be the way to go. HDMI in, RF out suitable for stream dumping via a USB dvb-t receiver like any other broadcast. There's a whole slew of HDMI standalone capture boxes too that write to USB fllash / HDD / etc.

dvbt modulators are too expensive for me. Maybe a HDMI capture box is the way to go.

ebay, search 'dvb-t modulator' as well as 'hdmi capture' returns a range of devices / prices. Picture Quality unknown though.

Thanks DrP. Much appreciated.

+Quote Post
DrP
post May 26 2017, 04:39 AM
Post #6

Forum Regular

Wel, to be brutally honest, unless the content is uniquely only available via what ever service you are using via the ATV you may find there are better ways to do the PVR thing rather than going to the trouble of manually playing, recording, editing, encoding etc.

Assuming you are using a pay for access service on the ATV, keep the subscription going if it makes you feel better about piracy (the content providers would consider recording their content piracy in most instances), but also setup a usenet (news) download system and let it do all the heavy lifting for you.

I have a 12/7 (12pm - 12pm our time) extremeusenet.nl account for $2.80 / month and 12 month access to nzbplanet.net for $1/month. On top of that I use nzbget and sonarr on my raspberry Pi. They have a list of shows I'm interested in after that I would previously have recorded like you are trying to do from Austar (now Foxtel) and fetch new episodes as they become available automatically. The software is also available for Windows (x86) machines. My Foxtel box now sits largely unused.

extremeusenet and nzbplanet both have trial periods so you can test the water before deciding to dive in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
therat
post May 27 2017, 03:58 PM
Post #7

Forum Regular

Thanks DrP. Sounds like a good setup you have. My AppleTV has all the rips from the shows I'm interested in, available to play but not download hence the capture.

I'll check out the usenet tho. Been many years since I've used it.

cheers
rat

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 10:12 PM