Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Simple DTV Recorder - New release 6/3/04
Guest_Cropsy_*
post Aug 22 2003, 09:21 PM
Post #1

Guests

Simple DTV Recorder is a GUI based DTV recorder with an integrated scheduler and TV Guide support.

The current version is 1.1 "Outlaw" which is linked below.

http://www.videofringe.com/sdtvr/SDTVRv11.zip

SDTVR requires the 2.6 SDK which is available from twinhan.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_bhscott_*
post Aug 22 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #2

Guests

Hi Cropsy,

Just downloaded your app. Nice work. Looks like a very handy tool which is as the title suggests, very easy to use.

Thanks for the efforts,

Brendon

+Quote Post
Guest_fletch_*
post Aug 23 2003, 06:23 PM
Post #3

Guests

Hi Crsoby,

Very nice App ! Well done and simple to use. Just perfect for me !

Cheers

Fletch

+Quote Post
renura
post Aug 23 2003, 06:37 PM
Post #4

Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 38
Card: None

Cropsy,

Good work.

Cheers

Renura

+Quote Post
Guest_Cropsy_*
post Aug 25 2003, 10:12 PM
Post #5

Guests

Given the lack of bug reports I guess either the software works for everyone or no one's using it smile.gif

Either way I'm ready to start work on the next version so if there is a feature you'd particularly like to see let me know. I've implemented pretty much everything I need for my own personal use so the the content of the next release will be based on what suggestions (if any) are made.

+Quote Post
Rob S
post Aug 26 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #6

Forum Regular
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

Given the lack of bug reports I guess either the software works for everyone or no one's using it smile.gif

Either way I'm ready to start work on the next version so if there is a feature you'd particularly like to see let me know. I've implemented pretty much everything I need for my own personal use so the the content of the next release will be based on what suggestions (if any) are made.

XMLTV support wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_HoffY_*
post Aug 27 2003, 09:54 AM
Post #7

Guests

Would anyone be able to shot some screenshots for me?

EDIT: Scrub this idea.. it works on a puter without any VP card or software installed (thats why i asked for pic as i wont be near my card for a while).

+Quote Post
Guest_boh_*
post Aug 27 2003, 04:54 PM
Post #8

Guests

Very nice. It works well. Thank you.

Improvement suggestions:

* HTPC mode
* 24 hour clock option
* drag-and-drop for formatting arguments to build up filename
* default filename (made up by channel and time - a lazy button)
* start time -a bit messy to enter
* length - as above (much better than having a stop time though!)

Cheers, boh

+Quote Post
Guest_boh_*
post Aug 27 2003, 04:56 PM
Post #9

Guests

Very nice. It works well. Thank you.

Improvement suggestions:

* HTPC mode
* 24 hour clock option
* drag-and-drop for formatting arguments to build up filename
* default filename (made up by channel and time - a lazy button)
* start time -a bit messy to enter
* length - as above (much better than having a stop time though!)

Cheers, boh

+Quote Post
Guest_Cropsy_*
post Aug 28 2003, 05:31 PM
Post #10

Guests

XMLTV support :wink:

I've actually been considering integrating some sort of TV guide support. XMLTV looks like it would be ideal but I'm not keen on using something that requires a seperate application to dowload the guide data. Plus the only windows app (I could find) suitable for Australian use pulls data from NineMSN which takes quite a while and seems to violate their TOS.

The other option I'm considering is allowing people to drag shortcuts to detailed program descriptions from one of the existing online TV guides onto SDTVR's scheduler which would then fetch that program only. The obvious problem with that is that a net connection is required and it makes the guide integration useless to anyone outside Australia.

Suggestions from boh

HTPC mode
Could you expand on what HTPC mode would do?

24 hour clock option
I might add this in the future, for the time being I'm sure everyone can deal with AM and PM succesfully smile.gif

drag-and-drop for formatting arguments to build up filename
Unlikely.

default filename (made up by channel and time - a lazy button)
An excellent idea. I'll definitely put this in the next version.

start time -a bit messy to enter
I'm using the standard windows date control. I agree it's not great but writing a replacement date control isn't really something I want to do.

length - as above (much better than having a stop time though!)
I'm not sure what you'd like changed here. The existing control just takes a number of minutes so I'm not sure how it could be made easier to use. I could possibly split the time into hours and minutes but I'm not sure that would be better.

Thanks for the suggestions Rob and boh!

The other feature I plan to add to the next release is the ability to use and external program to preview an MPEG while it's being written to disk. Unfortunately not all media players will open a file that's being written to but it should still be useful.

+Quote Post
Rob S
post Aug 28 2003, 05:51 PM
Post #11

Forum Regular
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

XMLTV support :wink:

I've actually been considering integrating some sort of TV guide support. XMLTV looks like it would be ideal but I'm not keen on using something that requires a seperate application to dowload the guide data. Plus the only windows app (I could find) suitable for Australian use pulls data from NineMSN which takes quite a while and seems to violate their TOS.

The other option I'm considering is allowing people to drag shortcuts to detailed program descriptions from one of the existing online TV guides onto SDTVR's scheduler which would then fetch that program only. The obvious problem with that is that a net connection is required and it makes the guide integration useless to anyone outside Australia.

You could just support XMLTV (ie just the display of the XML file), but it just means each person would have to find their own source of the XMLTV data (Rohbags tv_grab_au is great and i use it for the WebSchedule Addon). It uses ebroadcast. At the moment there are no windows versions that i know of that get data from there. Rohbags also has permission to do the parsing from ebroadcast for non-commercial use. There are examples on rohbags site (theres a link in the links forum)

+Quote Post
Guest_Cropsy_*
post Aug 28 2003, 06:31 PM
Post #12

Guests

Major snippage
You could just support XMLTV (ie just the display of the XML file), but it just means each person would have to find their own source of the XMLTV data (Rohbags tv_grab_au is great and i use it for the WebSchedule Addon). It uses ebroadcast. At the moment there are no windows versions that i know of that get data from there. Rohbags also has permission to do the parsing from ebroadcast for non-commercial use. There are examples on rohbags site (theres a link in the links forum)

Unfortunately I don't think it's practical to expect Windows users to have a Linux box just to get legal XMLTV data smile.gif I've had play with your Webscheduler and a look at at sample XMLTV file from Rohbags site. XMLTV would definitely be the best way to do guide integration if the files were more readily available for Win32 users. For the time being I'll concentrate on adding other features to SDTVR and hope someone ports rohbags software to windows in the interim.

+Quote Post
Guest_IanD_*
post Aug 29 2003, 08:53 AM
Post #13

Guests

Any comments or bug reports are welcome.

Using the manual capture facility of your program, it seems to take well over 10 seconds before the capture actually begins spooling data to HDD: locking the channel takes about 5 seconds and then there is a further 'waiting' pause before data is written to HDD.

This contrasts markedly with the webserver capture tool, which starts saving data in about 3 seconds after initiation.

Just wondering why the big difference.

I'm using Win98SE.

At the risk of being criticised again for using an 'antiquated' OS, would it be possible for you to add file segmentation/splitting capability to your capture program? I know others have suggested I simply schedule multiple captures to keep within the file size limits of FAT32, but if your program takes over 10 seconds to initiate a capture, that would introduce unacceptable breaks in the stream.

Still looking for a capture tool that supports those of us with 'legacy' FAT32 systems.

Ian

+Quote Post
Guest_phiadon_*
post Aug 29 2003, 11:00 AM
Post #14

Guests

There is a win32 port of the xmltv app which does not require perl or anything installed, however as it is a binary relaease it only supports the default tv_grab scripts provided by the xmltv project. Just have to have rohbags submit the tv_grab_au to the project to be included i guess smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Cropsy_*
post Aug 30 2003, 01:34 AM
Post #15

Guests

Ian

Re: Slow capture startup
The current version of SDTVR takes around 10 seconds to start a capture on my machine WinXP and Athlon 1800. The reason it takes longer to start than the webscheduler is that SDTVR scans the channel before recording which takes 5 seconds plus. In theory you can do useful things with that data from the channel scan like making sure the user isn't trying to record from audio or video id's that don't exist. Also when I started developing SDTVR I found the SDK sample and SDTVR would crash if a channel scan wasn't done before recording. Fortunately that no longer seems to be the case. I've removed the channel scan from my development version so the next release will be faster.

Re: File segmentation
It should be doable. I imagine there would still be a second or two gap while the file changeover takes place. Wether that would be acceptable or not I don't really know. I'm open tofeedback from any Win98 users as to wether splitting would be useful with a 1 - 2 second gap.

+Quote Post
Guest_IanD_*
post Aug 31 2003, 09:48 AM
Post #16

Guests

Ian

Re: Slow capture startup

Re: File segmentation

Thanks for the explanation of capture startup delays. I guess it is encumbent on the user to ensure the PIDs they are recording are correct, in advance. I have been using TSReader to identify transponder PIDs.

As for the file segmentation, any gap is not really acceptable IMO. I understand some analogue/DV capture programs ask how much data you want to record and then 'pre-create' the file structures and buffer data to eliminate any data loss when switching from one file to the next. I suppose it takes a lot of effort to make the transitions seamless.

I have been experimenting with TSReader and it does incorporate file segmentation on capture, but it only records transport streams and not program streams and unfortunately I haven't come across any software that will convert the transport to program effectively retaining AV sync.

ProgDVB sounds interesting, but I'm leary of destroying my currently (sorta) working Twinhan setup.

Ian

+Quote Post
Guest_Cropsy_*
post Aug 31 2003, 04:25 PM
Post #17

Guests

As for the file segmentation, any gap is not really acceptable IMO.  I understand some analogue/DV capture programs ask how much data you want to record and then 'pre-create' the file structures and buffer data to eliminate any data loss when switching from one file to the next.  I suppose it takes a lot of effort to make the transitions seamless.

I don't think it would be possible to achieve seemless transition using the capture method available through the SDK. Given you seem to be the entire Win98 user base of SDTVR I guess it's safe to take file segmentation off the todo list smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_custral_*
post Aug 31 2003, 06:17 PM
Post #18

Guests

That's not so. Users with networked systems that've grown in the natural way thru Win98 and onward are going to have machines networked with a lot of their life invested, and want to keep them as-are. Meaning with their FAT32 file systems, which won't read NTFS from the rest of the network, enforcing the whole network must operate in FAT32 short of a total (expensive all ways) system upgrade. To assume such users don't exist on the basis of a single conversation builds the big picture from a little probe.

+Quote Post
Guest_Gear_*
post Aug 31 2003, 06:25 PM
Post #19

Guests

You should have no problems with 98 reading from a NTFS networked drive.

Jeffrey

+Quote Post
Guest_Cropsy_*
post Aug 31 2003, 07:40 PM
Post #20

Guests

Custral

I have Win98 and Windows XP machines on my network and there is definitely no problem accessing NTFS drives across the network.

Also I think you may have missed the smiley at the end of my line about IanD being the only Windows 98 user. While I imagine there is more than one Win98 user the number probably isn't very big. Given it's not practical to provide seemless file segmentation (which is the only sort of file segmentation that's been requested) I'm taking non seemless file segmentation off the todo list pending some unlikely outcry from Win98 users.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2019 - 05:28 AM