> My Stick Doesn't Find Channel on 191 Mhz
abrogard
post Aug 13 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #1

Be nice to me, I am new.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 13,670
Card: Freecom DVB-T Stick

My DTV stick hasn't got a name on it. It came shrink wrapped and tore open the packet and threw it away.. sorry.
It came bundled with Blaze and that's what I'm using.

It just says 'DVBT USB Dongle' on it. So I figured this choice was the closest fit.

It is working fine except for some reason it won't find channel 9 here in south australia.

It picks up all the other free to air channels which are 1 and 10 on 219.5 Mhzl, ABC on 226.5 mhz, 7 on 177.5mhz and
SBS on 564.5.

But it doesn't get 9 which is, according to what I found on the web, on 191 Mhz. So it is getting all around it but not on it.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing that and what I could do about it, if anything?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
drdos7
post Aug 18 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 642
Card: Compro VideoMate DVB-T300

Hi,

QUOTE (abrogard @ Aug 13 2010, 05:42 PM) *
My DTV stick hasn't got a name on it. It came shrink wrapped and tore open the packet and threw it away.. sorry.
It came bundled with Blaze and that's what I'm using.

It just says 'DVBT USB Dongle' on it. So I figured this choice was the closest fit.

It is working fine except for some reason it won't find channel 9 here in south australia.

It picks up all the other free to air channels which are 1 and 10 on 219.5 Mhzl, ABC on 226.5 mhz, 7 on 177.5mhz and
SBS on 564.5.

But it doesn't get 9 which is, according to what I found on the web, on 191 Mhz. So it is getting all around it but not on it.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing that and what I could do about it, if anything?

I can't help you with "Blaze" (tried, then discarded). If you want to see if another program will find all channels try DVScheduler. If that doesn't get all your stations you could try finding some later drivers. DVS is free, it can record and view.

dRdoS7.

+Quote Post
abrogard
post Aug 18 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #3

Be nice to me, I am new.

Hi...

Thanks a lot for that. I'll try it. While you're there do you know where we can get more of these little arial cables that allow fastening a tv arial to the donge nice and quick and easy? http://picasaweb.google.com.au/abrogard/Dt...feat=directlink

smile.gif

QUOTE (drdos7 @ Aug 18 2010, 06:00 PM) *
Hi,

I can't help you with "Blaze" (tried, then discarded). If you want to see if another program will find all channels try DVScheduler. If that doesn't get all your stations you could try finding some later drivers. DVS is free, it can record and view.

dRdoS7.

+Quote Post
drdos7
post Aug 18 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #4

Forum Regular

Hi,

Is it like this:

Attached File  DealExtreme_DVB_T_Antenna_sku_5273_2.jpg ( 15.14K ) Number of downloads: 0

I happened to find this today at DealExtreme while looking for IDE to Sata adaptors.

It's actually showing the connector which is attached to one of those small (probably useless) antennas, but they may sell the part/s you're after. If not, you could make one by cutting off the antenna and putting a PAL or F type on the end.

Hope you find you missing channel!!

dRdoS7

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5273

This post has been edited by drdos7: Aug 18 2010, 09:03 PM

+Quote Post
abrogard
post Aug 19 2010, 08:50 AM
Post #5

Be nice to me, I am new.

Yes, it is like that. I've got two of these 'sticks'.

One of them came with a little 'wand' arial for indoor use that is at then end of about 6 inches of cable. Cable running from that thing at the 'stick' to the 'wand'.

The other one came with the same kind of cable but it is broken in the middle, like in the photos I posted on Picasa. That 'break' in the middle is a normal tv cable fitting. Pull it apart and you can plug your normal tv cable in there. Which is what I've done and now that 'stick' picks up everything (except channel 9).

And the other stick, I used that new cable on, too, or the bit of it from the break to the stick. I plugged my external arial into it, too, using that method and it, too, worked fine, finding all channels except 9.

The end in your picture they've all ( well, 'both', I've only got two - but I mean any one that you'd get, anywhere, to fit these 'sticks') got. That's what joins into the stick.

The important bit is what's at the other end? If it goes straight to a little 'whip' or 'wand' arial then you're buggered, there's nothing you can do short of delicate cutting and soldering or whatever.

But if it goes to one of those connectors.... well then you're laughing.

And so that's what I'm trying to get. More of those.

Sorry if I've just confused it all again. I have immense difficulty explaining things. I always make it too complicated.

Just look at the pictures I posted and think about joining your stick to your outside arial, how would you do it? and then I think you'll see what I mean.

Deal Extreme is who I got it from. I've been in touch with them asking for help getting one or getting directed to whoever the manufacturer/supplier is, but they haven't responded so far.......

smile.gif

p.s. I tried that dvscheduler and couldn't even figure out how to get it to scan channels. It wouldn't accept 'auto scan' because there wasn't a list prepared. I couldn't find how to prepare a list and couldn't see how I really could list the channels it was going to find until it found 'em.... and didn't fancy the work if I could ( 20 odd channels? )

So I was in a hurry. Then Blaze wouldn't work so I figured scheduler was interfering with it so I uninstalled it and went back to Blaze to record the thing I wanted. I'll try it again when I've got time to mess with it.

smile.gif

Later edit:

I've also found an adaptor that can be used, if anyone else has the same kind of problem (and everyone with a tv dongle must have it, really, if they want to use their external normal tv arial). It is at:
http://www.tvstick.co.uk/products/producti...2&prodid=11
It'll probably work fine, I've sent for one. Only problem I foresee is that it will be very stiff and hard to move around because that's what tv cable is like.
The advantage of the little cables I'm looking for (and which came with that last dongle I bought) is that it is a supple little bit of cable that allows easy fitting of tv cable to computer (at the dongle).

+Quote Post
drdos7
post Aug 19 2010, 03:07 PM
Post #6

Forum Regular

Hi,

Yeah, complicated. I've got an MSI laptop with an internal DVB-T and a USB Gigabyte Hybrid tuner. Both have the same connectors you've got. Took me a bit to get signal to both at the same time. Luckily they came with a spare connector or two which I could use to make some small flexible cables. Never even used it on our last trip away!

DVS is very easy to set-up and use. Once you've installed it go: System, Select Devices. Add the tuners you want to use. You may have to change the tuning between "Fast" & "Normal" to get it scanning OK. To scan go: System, Channel Settings, Auto Scan, DVB-T, Australia. Select your City, select Scan All and press the Scan Selected button. Of course I'm assuming you're in one of the areas covered. If not, you have to manually add each frequency. Maybe that's what you meant when you said "no list prepared"? Even so you should only have to do it for each of the 4 or 5 frequencies in your area. Maybe post in the relevent forum section to get some assistance there. I just tried it by entering a frequency (219500) and it produced a list of all the channels available there.

If you have two of those sticks, Blaze won't be of much use. IIRC it will only use one or the other, not both. But it's a while since I tried it. You could try MediaPortal, that's free. I'm using Windows 7, the Media Center program is excellent for recording & watching. It's a pain if you want to archive any recordings by putting them on a disc (last time I looked you couldn't keep the subtitles). I use DVS for that.

dRdoS7.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2019 - 10:20 AM