IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forget Infra Red As A Remote, Why not Bluetooth instead?
Guest_Wolfie_*
post Mar 3 2006, 09:52 PM
Post #1

Guests

I've been playing with my palm TX which has this great third party
software called NoviiRemote.

http://www.novii.tv/palm/deluxe/

And it's absolutely brilliant for almost every remote controlled
device you can think of.

But IR with the computer has always been a bit dodgy.

Then an idea came to me...
What if there could be a bluetooth remote control.

Many of us have bluetooth built into our computers anyway
[or have a usb stick] and many of us have PDAs or Phones
which use bluetooth.

A program structured around Palm or Symbian OS, that
could be set up to connect and control all functions of the
tv card would be great, and probably work a lot better than
IR.

Anyway, it's a thought.

Wolfie!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DavoNogo
post Mar 4 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #2

Forum Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,804
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

What's wrong with InfraRed with a computer? Using the DNTV Live! Pro remote, the remote is very responsive, but not too responsive or unresponsive like other remotes. It has approximately 270 degrees viewing angle for me, which means I can point it virtually anywhere and it'll still work.

And sadly, bluetooth is not as widely available in PCs either...

+Quote Post
btmi
post Mar 4 2006, 08:24 AM
Post #3

Forum Regular

Member No.: 185
Card: DNTV Live! DVB-T

It is extremely unlikely you will ever see a bluetooth remote as the electronics, compliance and licencing would make it more expensive than then DVB card it is trying to control. Because remotes only require a very simple one-way protocol, IR is ideal. In my view, they are also better than RF devices because they are compatible with universal remotes that many people use to control their home theatre.

Sure IR is line of sight, but if you can't see the telly, there is not much point changing the channel!

--------------------

+Quote Post
renura
post Mar 4 2006, 08:26 AM
Post #4

Enthusiast

Member No.: 38
Card: None

Sure IR is line of sight, but if you can't see the telly, there is not much point changing the channel!
smile.gif

--------------------
Renura Enterprises Pty Ltd - Owner of DigitalNow and MediaNow- Importers, Distributors and Retailers of Digital TV and other Digital Multimedia Solutions

+Quote Post
Guest_JoeyBloggs_*
post Mar 4 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (btmi @ Mar 4 2006, 09:24 AM) *
It is extremely unlikely you will ever see a bluetooth remote as the electronics, compliance and licencing would make it more expensive than then DVB card it is trying to control. Because remotes only require a very simple one-way protocol, IR is ideal. In my view, they are also better than RF devices because they are compatible with universal remotes that many people use to control their home theatre.
There's some circular logic tongue.gif I think it's inevitable that RF will gain ascendancy at some point, IR is limited and people hate hunting around for a working line of sight. The costs will come down...

+Quote Post
Guest_FreckledAvenger_*
post Mar 4 2006, 11:28 AM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (Wolfie @ Mar 3 2006, 09:52 PM) *
A program structured around Palm or Symbian OS, that
could be set up to connect and control all functions of the
tv card would be great, and probably work a lot better than
IR.

Strangely I was just about to post a new topic about a very similar thing I am trying to do. I own and use a PDA (Dell Axim x51v) and have tried a number of remote control programs and have not been completely happy with them. NoviiRemote works the best in my opinion due to the IR range which on some PDAs really is woeful (my x51v does not set the world on fire but Novii helps a bit).

When browsing the Aximsite forum I saw mention of a Bluetooth/Wifi "remote control" software called Salling Clicker (www.salling.com). Rather than use IR or RF it uses either wifi or bluetooth to do the job and actually allows you to write javascript to extend the (small) number of application it can control out of the box. I was very impressed (well the geek side of me was impressed, the lazy side of me was less than impressed) especially when I saw what you can do with MediaPlayer.

There are already scripts in existence (on their forums) for ZoomPlayer, WinDVD, PowerDVD, iTunes etc plus mouse control and system commands (like Volume, Mute, Shutdown etc). The control you can perform is quite amazing ...

Has anyone else used this? Has anyone written a script to control DNTV Live! ... (which was what I was going to originally asked before I saw this post)? If not I may take a stab at this ...

+Quote Post
renura
post Mar 4 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #7

Enthusiast

Member No.: 38

Here is my dream smile.gif When we get there at less than $500 I will be happy.

--------------------
Renura Enterprises Pty Ltd - Owner of DigitalNow and MediaNow- Importers, Distributors and Retailers of Digital TV and other Digital Multimedia Solutions

+Quote Post
Guest_Mcrackn_*
post Mar 4 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #8

Guests

Id like one that works with my phone, just for geekiness. (Java/symbian) biggrin.gif

Can you use internet on your mobile to schedule programs with webscheduler? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
sanquar
post Mar 8 2006, 04:07 PM
Post #9

Participant

Member No.: 4,027

Freckled Avenger, I'll have a look at that software too. I haven't used aximsite for sometime.
I don't use the axim much these days and was actually thinking of using it as a streaming media client with vga out.
This might make things interesting...

Please let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

--------------------
Win 7 Home Premium, Asus M3N78-EM M/B, 4Gb DDR 2 (800) RAM, AM2 5200+ CPU, S3 card, Samsung BD player, Panasonic 50" plasma Media Centre remote, Yamaha RX-V 3800.

+Quote Post
arch
post Mar 9 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #10

Participant

Member No.: 2,178
Card: VisionPlus DVB-t

So has anyone tried this?

http://www.promixis.com/products.php?section=netremote

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 03:30 AM